home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Hearing God

Have you ever dedicated time to seriously seek God and heard…


As my good friend Sandy would say.

I’m joining Sandy in seeking God for the next 30 days and blogging about it here. With you.

I am needing some direction now. You know, I just finished treatment for cancer and I’m must wondering, what next. I’m leaving for She Speaks in a couple of weeks and I not only need to take care of details like booking a flight, ahem, I need to hear God so I can deliver two messages. Not just one. Two. To be critiqued. By others.

I’m wanting to write. Ready to write. Lord, I’ll start that book. Just tell me where to start.

I’m ready to join a church. I’d like to know exactly where I’ll be going come Sunday morning. Visiting is fun and all but some structure is what I want. Routines. Knowing where I’ll be. What I’ll be doing. Thank you.

I need a new doctor. I have questions. Lord, just show me where to go.

I find myself seeking God in order to know where to step., which direction to go. I pray for revelation. Answers. A plan.

Somewhere in the recesses of my heart tonight, I hear his voice. Sort of. He reminds me the revelation I seek is not so much a command but a new facet of His character. I want a revelation of His heart even though I ask for a wave of His hand.

You see, I’m forever getting those two confused. When I ask a question, I want an answer. I seek truth. And I seek it in something I can possess. An invitation to a club, a place to go, a thing to do, a need provided, a desire fulfilled. The world tells me all of these things bring answers, truth to my life and direction to my steps.

I tend to forget the truth that will set me free. My purpose is not found in a destination. It is found in a person. Jesus Christ. God’s Word clearly tells me the truth I’m searching for is found in Jesus. The only possession worth having is Him. My relationship with Him is all that truly matters. If I put loving Him, knowing Him, worshiping Him first, everything, and I mean everything else, will fall into place.

Jesus is the way.
Jesus is the truth.
Jesus is the life.

Tonight I will cease “trying” to hear. I will rest in the truth that I know. I will fall into the arms of that truth and sleep with sweet peace tonight.

“For you will know the truth and the truth shall set you free… I am the way, the truth and the life.” John 8:32 & 14:6

6 comments:

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

This is a beautiful and encouraging post to read tonight, Lisa, as I prepare for sleep myself.

Nice to meet you through this 30 day adventure link.

Fondly,
Glenda

Denise said...

Such an inspiring post sis, love you.

Andrea said...

Doug and I were just talking to some friends last night about "listening" to God and how important this part of the relationship is to each of us.
great post!
Continuing to storm the heavens,
andrea

Shelly @ Life on the Wild Side said...

I share some of your struggles and questions. Can't wait to read about your journey. (I would do it too, but I'm barely home during the month of July.)

I went to She Speaks last summer and managed to eek out two talks. You will do fine. The groups are amazing and so encouraging. Can't wait to hear what God will do through that. My own journey has been amazing since then!

Sandy Cooper said...

"Somewhere in the recesses of my heart tonight, I hear his voice. Sort of. He reminds me the revelation I seek is not so much a command but a new facet of His character. I want a revelation of His heart even though I ask for a wave of His hand."

This is beautiful.

I just can't wait to hear all the stuff He shows you this month.

I love you.
Sandy

Kimberly said...

I know I keep saying this so much it sounds cliche,but I do look forward to hearing more of your journey, especially on She Speaks. It sounds like an awesome opportunity and the first step into something amazing. Praying you hear a voice behind you saying "this is the way, walk ye in it". Blessings!