home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Hairy Issues

I’m getting my hair done tomorrow and that makes a southern girl smile. And, speaking of hair I’ve been thinking lots about it. Again.

The first days of thinking about my hair faded into not really having to think much about my hair. Because I still had it and it didn’t go anywhere even though I went through cancer treatment. Did you get that? I still have hair. My hair.

When I first wrote this post, my friend Amber pointed me to this verse.

“And isn’t long hair a woman’s glory?” 1 Corinthians 11:15

She said maybe if this is true then when I lost my hair, I could just trade it for God’s glory.

Isn’t that an awesome way to think of a terrible thing? I heart my friends.

So when I didn’t lose my hair, I told God I still wanted His glory in all of this. This, meaning cancer and my whole life in general. He so gently whispered to my heart.

Silly girl, you don’t have to lose anything to behold my glory. It’s yours for the taking.

The thing is I don’t always take God’s glory. I sometimes put it down to take up my glory. Sometimes the glory I choose is to simply to get all wrapped up in a good hair day. Yeah, me I like compliments. And if you’re like me, you do too. Admit it. It feels good to hear how cute we look. Again, that makes a southern girl smile.

So I began to ask God to help me rise to the challenge of pointing people to His glory on good hair days and on bad hair days. My life is full of both kinds. More of the latter lately. Just put it this way, I’ve been wearing a hat for the last few days and I still have my hair.

I mean, I knew I could give God glory on the bad hair days. I knew I could give Him glory when we were in the thick of it. When we were battling cancer and insurance and time, everybody was watching. I’m good like that. When people are watching, I tend to stay really focused. I tend to handle big things really well. It’s the little stuff that gets me. It’s the living in a new city where nobody knows my name… or my history.

It’s living in the mundane. I don’t want the mundane to be like it used to be. I don’t want to take it for granted ever again. I want to be thankful and full of joy when I wake up each day. I want to find joy in peanut butter sandwiches and jelly kisses. I want to be thankful when I brush my hair, no matter if it's a bad hair day. I want my brush with this deadly disease to matter.

Sunday, God reminded me of this.

“Then the high officers, officials, governors, and advisers crowded around them and saw that the fire had not touched them. Not a hair on their heads was singed, and their clothing was not scorched. They didn’t even smell of smoke!” Daniel 3:27

He reminded me that He saved my hair. He reminded me of the first time He simply said my name. He reminded me that He will not let me keep silent. He will give me opportunities to share of His glorious grace. Grace that saved much more than my hair, grace that saved my life.


"Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more..." Luke 12:7


This post is part of Sandy's series 30 Days of Hearing God.

6 comments:

Denise said...

You are very wise sis, love you.

Tea with Tiffany said...

Precious heart and hair here. Love ya. Miss visiting you.

Bernie said...

You have a beautiful heart, a beautiful spirit and yes even beautiful hair.....you are God's glory my friend and you share this glory with all those who love you.
.......:-) Hugs

Debbie said...

I can't tell you how much I relate with this post. After my experience with the disease I too find myself occasionally glancing in the mirror and seeing my hair and realizing just how fortunate I am that I did not have to travel the road of chemo. I struggle with some of my clothes not fitting me right what with the mastectomy's and all, and yet it honestly seems such an easy price to pay when I think of what could have been. Like you I don't want to take a single moment for granted. I don't want to forget just how much I felt the presence of God, and how His strength and mercy were ever present when I needed it most. I don't want to forget those who still struggle and who are going through treatment. How blessed me are ~ PRAISE GOD! Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Debbie

Debbie said...

How blessed "we" are....

His Girl said...

not a hair on your head was singed.

oh my goodness.

*happy tears*