home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Going Organic


Doing my Bible study homework last week, a question popped up. It asked something like what does it mean for the word of Christ to dwell richly in you?

My mind immediately paused on the word dwell. It’s living. Staying. Abiding.

Webster’s online defines dwell as to remain for a time, exist, live, to live as a resident or keep the attention directed.

That word reminds me of this verse that keeps popping up in my life. As a blog comment, on a card from a friend, in an email, it’s a verse that’s on my mind lately. It’s in John and that’s convenient since I’m reading John right now.

I am the Vine, you are the branches. When you're joined with me and I with you, the relation intimate and organic, the harvest is sure to be abundant. John 15:5 The Message

When I went to study John 15, I found that I love the imagery The Message uses. You see, I haven’t been a raving fan of the organic in my lifetime. I can appreciate a good homegrown vegetable as much as the next person but when I tried to go organic a few years ago, I couldn’t pay my grocery bill so I decided maybe it wasn’t all that.

But today, I like organic. In an effort to become healthier, stave off cancer forever and just honor God with my food choices, I’ve decided to try organic once again. Just last week, I found myself at the health food store trying to learn as much as possible about the benefits of organic foods, live grains and sprouted breads. Me, the girl who used to think Snickers was its own food group and a nutritious lunch simply because it has some nutty protein.

I learned that sometimes organic is worth it. When trying to keep cancer far away, organic is a good thing. When trying to boost my immune system, organic is a good thing. When trying to honor God with my body, organic is a good thing. The cost might be a little higher but the knowing what I’m consuming is priceless.

I’ve learned things like organic comes from living organisms, ripens unaided on its own and has no artificial additives or preservatives, nothing added. Isn’t that the type of relationship we want with Jesus? Living. Real. Pure.

I want to focus daily, hourly, minutely on living as one with Jesus and His words. John 15 also says it’s the words of Christ, His message that prunes us and trims clean every branch so that it will produce more fruit, an abundant harvest.

Today as I take a bite out of my organic apple with hummus, I’ll thank God for a relationship with Him and I’ll direct my attention to His word. With every crunch of my apple, I’ll chew on the words of John 15.

Now that’s organic and worth it!
“I am the Real Vine…You are already pruned back by the message I have spoken…When you’re joined with me and I with you, the relation intimate and organic, the harvest is sure to be abundant…Make yourselves at home in my love. If you keep my commands, you’ll remain intimately at home in my love…I’ve told you these things for a purpose: that my joy might be your joy, and your joy wholly mature…You didn’t choose me, remember; I chose you…to bear fruit.” Selections from John 15:1-8 The Message

This post is part of Sandy's series 30 Days of Hearing God.




11 comments:

Sandy Cooper said...

First of all...you got the hummus. Don't you just love a good ole blob of hummus????

And secondly, I'm so proud of you. On so many levels. I could just cut and paste your post all over Fitness Friday. You are my organic poster child. You get it. And I applaud you.

I just love the way God intertwines His word with our spiritual and physical well-being. It all meshes together and I think it's awesome.

I love you
Sandy

Lelia Chealey said...

Awesome message Lisa! I love how you see what God shows you, even through organic food.
Love you,
Lelia

Bernie said...

Yes it is more expensive to go organic but to me it saves lives, keeps us healthier and we cannot put a price on that. I so love how you incorporated Gods word with living a healthy lifestyle. Great post and so glad you are feeling better.......:-) hugs

Denise said...

Good message sis, love you.

Andrea said...

We went organic a couple of years or so ago! NO regrets, here.

Hugs,
andrea

Kathy S. said...

Love this post. I am a half-hearted organic, but mostly try to eat all food as-close-to-the-way-God-made-it as possible, kind of gal.

The study sounds like a wonderful one! I will have to check it out!

Big Fat Mama said...

I've added your blog to my list of inspirational blogs on my side bar. I really enjoy reading your blog!Have a great night!
Big Fat Mama

Queenmothermamaw said...

Hi Lisa, still praying daily on this end. Hope the new home is becoming comfortable. I know you will make it a place of God for sure. Great post today putting the presence of God in our everyday life is such a wonderful way to live. Glad you are feeling better. You are such an inspiration. Blessings
QMM

Donna said...

Great message! May we abide in Christ every day, every moment and may we bear much fruit! Thanks Lisa for bearing fruit!

Blessings to you!

TRUTH SHARER said...

Loved those verses from the Message - Wow!

"When you’re joined with me and I with you, the relation intimate and organic, the harvest is sure to be abundant"

His purpose - How cool?!?!

Choosing JOY, Stephanie

Barbie said...

I am trying to make the shift to more whole and natural foods, but I find everything is so expensive. I have a family of 6 to feed with a husband who is unemployed. Is there anywhere where I could get into on some basic shopping and how to make the shift?