home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Little Bit

Sometimes a little bit can make a tiny difference. 

And sometimes a little bit can make a huge difference.

A little bit. Five barley loaves and two fish. That's all there was. A little boy's lunch. Now, Jesus knew what he was going to do with that lunch. The Message says he questioned Philip to "stretch his faith."

My mind couldn’t let go of this thought from yesterday’s post. Jesus already knew what He planned to do. He just wanted the disciples to come be a part of it. I’m realizing all day long, I get invited to be a part of what Jesus is doing in my home and in my heart. A little bit a time.

A little bit.

A peanut butter and jelly sandwich with the crusts cut off.

A load of laundry.

A listening ear.

A smile.

A kind word.

A buckled seat belt.

A full underwear drawer.

A lap in the pool.

A trip around the block.

A game of cards.

Sometimes a little bit is all I have to offer. These days are long for me. Actually, yesterday was the longest day of the year, literally. But, beyond that, I’m more tired than usual. The sun is hot and the air is thick. Just stepping outside would drain anyone. I’m frustrated that this fatigue is hanging on and just plain tired of being tired. But, a little bit encourages me.

Although my children are a little more self-sufficient than other summers, they need me in different ways than they used to. They no longer need me to follow them around the house picking up potential hazards in their paths. They no longer need me to sit and sing countless Barney and Yo Gabba Gabba songs with them. They no longer need me to teach them how to hold their pencils and recognize the letters in their names. They can even spend a great part of each day occupying themselves by reading, creating or imagining largely unsupervised.

They need me to listen. Constantly. They need me to teach them how to make macaroni and cheese, how to start the dishwasher and how to put their covers neatly on their beds. They need me to remind them which one is their underwear drawer and that it’s not under their bed. They need me to cherish the masterpieces they create with markers and show them what letters look like in cursive.

Except for the four-year-old. He needs the first list. They need the latter list. That’s a long list of little bits.

But, today I’m encouraged because I may not have much, but I do have a little bit. And, I keep thinking. If I practice giving my little bits to them, just maybe I’ll master giving my little bits to Him. And then maybe just maybe, piece by little piece, I’ll eventually give my whole self. Because sometimes all we have to give is a little bit.

And a little bit can make a difference.

Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much… Luke 16:10


5 comments:

Sonja said...

Love it! and all those little bits soon fill a bucket!

Denise said...

Amen sis.

bigfatmama said...

Lisa, I'm so glad you wrote this. Thank you for making the little things we do seem like big things.

God placed something on my heart several months ago that I try to remember every day...if all we do at the end of the day is love God and love others (especially our children) we will have done enough!
I pray for rest for you.
Big Fat Mama

Sniffles and Smiles said...

What beautiful thoughts, Lisa! Truly an encouragement to all of us...And a little bit at a time,I pray you will feel altogether yourself again after all your treatments, too!!! Love, Janine XO

Peter Stone said...

Thanks for sharing this encouraging devotional, that giving just a little bit to Jesus is a great start, and something He can use. Loved the illustration about your kids. Mine are twelve and six, so at completely different stages in their lives too.