home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, June 28, 2010

I Have a List


Doesn’t it feel good to cross something off your to-do list? Doesn’t it feel great to cross somethings off your to-do list? I’ve crossed off my list today.

I started running again this weekend. This morning I started running before 7 AM. Check. I ran about four miles. Check.

I sensed myself mentally checking off my list before my feet had reached the end of the street. I mentally ran down my very.very long list. I mentally felt the oh so wonderful sense of relief as I checked each,and.every.little.thing off. Ahhhhh. Freedom.

My thoughts halted. Freedom? From a list? That is so not the truth my heart rests in. Freedom is found in Jesus and doing the things He has laid out for my day. Realistically I won’t get all the things done on my list. I have four children. They slow down list completions. They interrupt list checking. They have lists of their own.

I prayed asking God to give me the freedom to use my list to help guide my time but to rely on His Spirit to guide my hands, my feet, my heart. I want the freedom He offers not a vague illusion offered by completing a list that will need redoing tomorrow or next week because groceries get eaten, bathrooms get used and exercise is only good for one day’s checkmark.

The tasks Jesus has for me such as investing time with a child explaining baptism, serving my family with a humble heart and seeking the heart of a God who can truly set me free, won’t yield an empty return.

Lord, set my heart about what matters most today. Keep me from focusing on the unplanned. Keep me focused on Your plan. May I see Your hand and feel Your heart today. Amen.

And it was a good thing I settled all the little possibilities of interruptions and deviations from my list with God this morning because I had no more than stepped foot in the door when the phone rang…

I will keep Your law continually, forever and ever [hearing, receiving, loving, and obeying it]. And I will walk at liberty and at ease, for I have sought and inquired for [and desperately required] Your precepts. Psalm 119:44-45


6 comments:

Denise said...

Great job sis, love you.

Cindy Bultema said...

Amen, Lisa, Amen!! Do you have on your list "Get ready for She Speaks??". Not too much longer! Can't wait to see you!!
Blessings to you, dear sister! May the Lord continue to work powerfully in and through you!!
Thanks for the encouragement today! Your post was right on!
Love to you~
Cindy :)

Christie said...

Lisa,

List or not, running 4 miles today is beyond anything I would have thought to put on my list, let alone checking it off! Ha!

You are such an inspiration and convict me (thank you!) with each post you right. What a Godly example you are to so many!

Love and hugs,
Christie

Kimberly said...

Still reading and enjoying following your journey. I look forward to the abundance of good reports coming in the days ahead!

Big Fat Mama said...

Such a good reminder!!

Following you on twitter now. :)
Big Fat Mama

Gretchen said...

Lurve that scripture. I also love the prayer about drinking from the cup He gives each day.

xxxooo