home about speaking she cares resources contact

Thursday, June 03, 2010

Breathe in Faith


Today on the seventh floor, I got hugs and advice and really just the blessing of a shared experience. I didn’t get to see both my “friends” but I got to see lots of people and I did get to see some of my friends so it all worked out real well.

Tonight I’m asking you to pray for Cathy and her family. Cathy is fighting advanced lung cancer. She is making the move to palliative care once they can get her pain managed a little better. She has two young children and a whole host of friends and family who love her very much. She has a huge faith in God and a mighty big battle to fight.

As I was leaving the waiting room, one of Cathy’s friends whispered to me. She told me to, “Breathe in faith and breathe out fear.” Aren’t those wise words? They hit home with me today.

I feel like the fear part of cancer can kind of sneak up on me. It can envelope me when I least expect it. That’s stinky. Today the fear that is threatening me is a silly little girl fear.

You see, back in April my husband and I decided that the only way to make it through the everyday monotony and emotional drain of radiation would be to have some breaks in my schedule. By breaks I mean to indulge in some fun stuff that I normally don’t get to do but that I would look forward to each week. I went to see Jimmy Buffett. I spent a day with my bff Ashley. I went to the beach with my family. And this weekend I’m flying to see a friend I grew up with.

Our friendship was built on faith as we shared church and summer camp and Bible memory together as children. We lost touch when I moved in tenth grade until I attended her wedding. Then we lost touch until face book reunited us last year.

It’s amazing to see how a friendship built on faith, even childlike faith, can last through the years. I can’t wait to spend time with her, hours on end just talking. I know we can go deep because even though the details of her life are vague to me, I know her heart. I share it. We both love Jesus like nothing else. We are attending a retreat with the ladies of her church. It’s almost like going to camp together all over again. We went to summer camp together for nine summers!

And you wouldn’t even believe how excited I am about this weekend. I can’t wait to tell you all about it! But in order to experience it, I have to leave way early in the morning, go to treatment and then get myself to the airport, parked, taxied and boarded. Alone. This makes me feel twelve.

When I decided 2010 would be my year of no fear, I wanted traveling alone to be one of the things that quit bringing me fear. I want the excitement to eclipse the fear. I hope that happens tomorrow. Because in July I have to do it again for She Speaks. Seriously, these things would have prevented me from going in the past. Like I said, I feel twelve.

I was reminded again today how God will never make me go alone, He’ll always hold my hand unless the fire gets too hot. Then He’ll “uphold” me. This is how Webster’s defines uphold: 1 a : to give support to b : to support against an opponent
2 a : to keep elevated b : to lift up.

God won’t just not leave me alone, He’ll give me support even against an opponent, like fear, and He will even lift me up and carry me. I can’t wait to tell you the adventures of getting myself to the airport, parked, taxied, checked in and boarded. They are sure to be fun but not as fun as the adventures I will be sure to have with my girlfriends and God this weekend!

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10



22 comments:

Kathy@ Gone North said...

Oh what fun you will have! A new adventure!
I was a stay at home mom for 25 yrs. before I traveled alone. I now have the opportuity to fly alone at least 4-5 times a year. I LOVE it. It gives me such confidence each time. I hotel alone, I eat alone, BUT I talk to folks I would never talk to, if my husband was along.
You will have the chance to order whatever you want at the airport Starbucks : ), to talk or not to talk, to read & observe people. And I know that God will bring into your path, someone who will need a word from you, & someone who will minister to you.
Have fun! Have confidence! (pretend that you do it all the time & no one will guess :)
Praying for a Marvelous/confident time for you!

Andrea Frazer - Pass the Zoloft said...

I think that God would be happy if you bought a new hand bag for the occasion. Just sayin'.

Queenmothermamaw said...

Wonderful philosophy. Be safe and blessings.
QMM

Gretchen said...

Just prayed for Cathy.

Rocking it, I tell you.

And BTW, I can't wait for our MIRL. Because I know it will happen. It will.

Denise said...

Praying for Cathy. Hope you have a wonderfully blessed time sis, love you.

Kari said...

I LOVED every single written word of that post...what wise and faith filling thoughts and words. All of your posts are rich but this one struck me personally deeper today. Thank you for writing words I needed to hear.

I hope you have a safe and wonderful weekend as you continue to try and live FEARLESSLY in His name! You are amazing!

Loren said...

Praying for Cathy....I can't tell what these words did to me...lifting her and her family up. God is mighty and HE will meet every need and ways we can't even imagine.

For you my friend....I am so excited yet again...the adventures the Lord is leading you on :) OH my! He will uphold you! Yes and at times you will be in a whole new realm! HIS realm Lisa.

I love you and am so thankful for walking through this by your side! Works cannot describe how much you inspire me!

Bernie said...

Have a happy, healthy, safe and wonderful weekend.....so proud of you. Keeping you in my prayers always.......:-) Hugs

Bev Brandon said...

Aw Lisa, how precious! I doubled up treatments on my last week so I could go to a Larry Crabb conference with friends at The Cove. Exhausting and invigorating at the same time. Two lifelong friends flew here. They gave me such courage. May you be filled with Courage and Hope from your friends who love their LORD. Enjoy every minute. You will and Psalm 50:2 - A Beautiful God will pour out of you! Lots of Love going your way, Bev

Christie said...

Praying that He would calm your spirit and guide you every step of the way. Have a safe trip and have TONS of fun...you deserve it!!

Love,
Christie

Donna said...

Lisa, hope you have a fantastic trip to see your friend! Breathe in faith, breathe out fear. That's pretty profound and can work in anything. Thanks for sharing that with us. And I love the verse in Isaiah you used!

Blessings!

covnitkepr1 said...

I’ve enjoyed looking over your blog. I came across it through another blog I follow, and I’m glad I did. I am now a follower of yours as well. Feel free to look over my blog and perhaps become one as well.

Karen said...

lacauSo do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10
MY MOST FAVORITE VERSE!.....IT HAS GOTTEN ME THRU MANY,MANY DIFFICULT TIMES WHEN OTHING ELSE COULD HAVE!.....GOD BLESS AND SAFE JPURNRY

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Will pray for both you and Cathy...You are extremely courageous, in my book!!! And an inspiration!!! Love you! Janine XO

Lora said...

2010 -The year with no fear - I love it Lisa! Blessings to you dear one.

And love and continued prayers,
Lora

kim said...

Lisa,
I love the breath in faith, breath out fear.
I hear you about traveling alone. I have never traveled by myself and never been in an airplane....but I am so excited that through blessings of others, I get to fly from Sioux Falls, SD to Minneapolis, MN and than to Charlotte, NC for the She Speaks...this is all so way out of my comfort zone--I just keep telling myself, this isn't about me it's about GOD!! Continuing to pray for you on this journey!

bigfatmama said...

Wow, what a great testimony. I love the "breathe in faith, breathe out fear" quote! I'm going to share that on my next post and your blog as well so my readers will come visit you and pray for you as well! God bless.
Big Fat Mama

Jan said...

I soooooo enjoy your posts Lisa :) You continue to inspire me and I thank you for that. Prayers have gone up for Cathy and I hope you had a wonderful w/e away :)

Jackie said...

Praying for you and Cathy!!

Hope you had a blast with your friend and excited you got to travel alone!!

I'm not gonna be at She Speaks this year (bummer) but praying that you have safe, peaceful travels and an abundantly blessed time!! BTW, I agree with Andrea Frazer's comment but I think you should bless yourself with a new pair of fab shoes and maybe some new bling too....just sayin'!!!

Sweet Blessings!
Jackie

Renee Swope said...

I got your text this weekend and sooooo wanted to be there, too. I had no idea you were going. How amazing!!!

Praying for you and can't wait to see you in July!!!!!!!!

Hugs<
Renee

Andrea said...

Blessings, hugs, and prayers,
andrea

prashant said...

Wonderful philosophy. Be safe and blessings.
Banner Advertising Network India