home about speaking she cares resources contact

Friday, June 18, 2010

The Bell

When I woke up Wednesday, I had a terrible migraine. Maybe it was the new mix of pain meds or maybe it was the days and days without sleep or maybe it was a good old-fashioned virus but either way, I was sick. I got dressed and headed to Houston.

We weren’t too far down the road when I asked Andrew to please pull over. It’s been years since he heard those words and as I leaned out of the car on the shoulder of the highway, all he could say was, “Are you sure you’re not pregnant?” Anyone with four children who suffered nine months of unrelenting morning sickness each time can relate to that question. While laughing!

After several pull-overs, we made it to the medical center. I hugged Eyob, our favorite Ethiopian parking attendant and he sent special hugs for Palmer. The doc said my skin looked good and he was thrilled with its appearance. He kindly acknowledged that I, however, may not be so thrilled. Yeah, I said, “Ouch!” I shook the doc's hand, hugged nurse Mitzi and the doc said he hoped he never had to see me again. That was funny.

Andrew and I headed downstairs for the final treatment holding hands. It felt surreal. But then again, the last six months of my life have felt surreal and I’m not quite sure what I’ll feel like when I really wake up. We waited a bit then Bette and Leslie, part of my rad movie star team, called me back. Andrew checked out the radiation room and watched me get set up for treatment. Then I had my final treatment.

They beamed me up for a few seconds and then we were done. I got dressed and headed for the famous bell. Now, nausea and I don’t go very well together so I didn’t really think that ringing the bell would make me feel better. I honestly just wanted to go home and crawl in bed and think about the whole I’m done with radiation treatment and I rang the bell thing later. That’s what throw-up does to me. It makes me become uncaring and indifferent to life’s biggies.

But, when I started ringing that bell something happened. I felt renewed. I felt excited. I felt encouraged. I felt accomplished.

It brought back memories of the last time I heard the tinkling of bells. It was almost fourteen years ago. Andrew and I had just gotten married. We left our reception to the ringing of bells. The country club didn’t allow birdseed or rice and we would be responsible for cleaning the tiles if we chose to use bubbles. We settled on bells.

Bells are special to me because my grandmother had quite an extensive bell collection. She collected bells from all over the world. She recently downsized and kept only the most special bells. Each time my children visit, she gives them each one of her special bells. They love these little bells and I hear them quite often ringing around my house.

When we got married, I loved hearing the bells ring because their sound reminded me of the rich heritage of marriage my grandparents passed on to me. Both sets of my grandparents’ marriages have been filled with many years of deep, sacrificial love. Bell-ringing to signify the end of cancer treatment is significant to me because my bell-collecting grandmother is also a cancer survivor. She has not only given me a great legacy of marriage but one of surviving as well.

I loved the feeling of being finished with this part. I loved feeling like I was celebrating a huge thing. I loved feeling like an overcomer. I loved the anticipation of a new beginning that lingered in the air. As I rang the bell, I couldn’t help but wonder, “What now?” 


Won’t it be fun?

You did it: you changed wild lament into whirling dance; You ripped off my black mourning band and decked me with wildflowers. I'm about to burst with song; I can't keep quiet about you. God, my God, I can't thank you enough.  Psalm 30:11-12 The Message



13 comments:

Denise said...

Yes, it will be much fun sis. I love you.

Wilhelmine Mitchell said...

Hurray! Hallelujah! God is good!

Wilhelmine Mitchell said...

Hurray! Hallelujah! God is Good!

Melanie said...

I have a bell! I'm going to ring mine for you at 11:10 this morning. Maybe you will hear it!
Love,
Melanie

Sarah Moretz said...

Praise the Lord Lisa, I celebrate with you, God's mercy, His Grace, love and faithfulness:)
Enjoy your summer,
Love,
~~Sarah

Donna said...

Ahh Lisa! We are rejoicing with you - and hoping you are feeling better - and give all glory to God! What a great legacy your grandmother is leaving you - survivor and bells. This has been some journey for you and your family. Thank you for taking us with you. I know you have spoken much into my life. Looking forward to hearing about the "what now" for you. And love how Psalms 30 reads in The Message!

Have a blessed weekend!

Queenmothermamaw said...

Did ring the bell for you and I know heaven heard it. I keep that bell handy, might need it myself one day. Prayers and blessings dear Lisa and family. Happy father's Day to Andrew.
QMM

bigfatmama said...

you are glowing in the pictures! Hope you're having a great weekend. I posted an award for your blog on my blog. Come by and pick it up when you get a chance.
Big Fat Mama

Lora said...

Your smile is radiant Lisa. And I have God bumps after reading this - Ring the bell! Ring the bell!

I echo Psalm 30: 11 & 12 in the Message with you - oh my, that is absolutely beautiful...just like your smile!

Love you dear one,
Lora

Vickie said...

Woman, you have a way with words, you know that? I hope you publish something, but I'll definitely buy it! :) One of your many talents, I think! What glorious tribute to your grandmother and praise to God for His healing! The future is looking bright for you. God bless your family!

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!! RING THAT BELL!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!! You are done...and you are amazing!!!! Love you! Janine XO

Deborah said...

Hi Lisa, I am so glad you had your final treatment and you rang the bell! I got chills when I read this.
Congratulations and I will continue to pray for you.
xxoo
Deborah

Smelling Coffee said...

Hi Lisa~ just catching up with your blog and wanted to celebrate the end of this part of your life with you! The Lord is using you, and I've been encouraged in reading your recent posts tonight. Especially about the little bits.

Continuing to pray for you~
Jennifer