home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

As the Deer...

Bambi. I usually can't see a deer without thinking of the Disney movie. There are tons of deer here. I see them multiple times each day. I've seen so many this last week that I don't think of Bambi anymore. I almost think it's normal to see a deer dart in front of you while driving, running or mowing the lawn. Lately my mind has started going other places deer.

A couple of days ago when I was running, I saw a deer drinking from the drainage ditch next to the main road of our subdivision. There were two ducks floating beside it in the puddle. This picture so accurately describes where I live.

As I ran the other morning, I sang this Psalm, “As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God.” Psalm 42:1

I looked at the deer. I was able to get really close to the deer because she was so thirsty, the things that usually scare her didn’t drive her away from the water. I told God I want to be like that deer. I want to want Him so badly that the things that usually scare me won’t drive me away from the Water.

Then, last night as I was leaving Bible study, we saw three bucks, hugs bucks, darting through the parking lot. These guys were so fast, they looked like black streaks in the dusk air. The children and I just sat and watched them for a couple of minutes and then when they started really galloping and leaping quick, we chased after them in our car. They just kept on running, never looking back. They didn’t look scared. No deer in the headlights looks came from these three! They just kept going until they got to the edge of the woods and disappeared.

I thought of this verse, “He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he enables me to stand on the heights.”

The Message uses the word “surefooted” to describe this deer. I told the Lord I want to be like those deer. I want to be surefooted. I want to climb to the heights and stand there. If I know where I are going, I won’t look back with those deer in the headlight eyes of fear and indecision. I will run with sure feet, eyes on the prize, able to ignore the things that used to distract me with fear. I will run forward ready to drink deeply from the Water on my path.

Where are you headed today? Can you run ahead confidently? Will you take time to stop and drink deeply next to the ducks?

“I run in the path of Your commands, for You have set my heart free.” Psalm 119:32

14 comments:

B His Girl said...

Hi Lisa,

You are surround by the beauty of God's creation and it points to the creator. How blessed you are to see Him. I love that and the requests you made to God. I have no doubt He led you to ask for those things. I echo your request to Him. That's what I want too Lord. I also pray Lord you would continue to give Lisa complete healing and raise her up to do mighty things in your name. Oh Lord also bless her children with the knowledge of who you are.
love, b

Loren said...

We have so many deer here as well and I just Love how no matter where we are in life if we see a Deer we immediately think of the LORD! I want to be just like them too Lisa! In all the ways you have described but I hope that as we see them and think of HIM that others see me and immediately see Christ!

Love to you my friend! Sooo happy you are running and marking off your lists! :) Gods list that is!

Andrea said...

Beautiful post from the depths of a beautiful heart. Thank you for sharing GODS heart with each of us.
Hugs,
andrea

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Reading your posts is like reading a favorite devotional! Thank you! Love you much! Janine XO

Karen said...

Psalm 119:32.......what a wonderful reminder today. Since my church family/church is in the middle of chaos right now I find myself depending more and more on the wonderful blogs like this one.....thanks for helping to lift my spirir!.....hugs and prayers!

Big Fat Mama said...

Lisa,
I love this song! I also love how real and honest you are about your faith and love for Jesus. You see Him everywhere when you know Him, and that is so reflected in your writings.

I hope you have a wonderful night.
Big Fat Mama

Jen said...

This: "I want to want Him so badly that the things that usually scare me won’t drive me away from the Water."

I agree with this sentiment one gazillion percent.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and wisdom with me, sister...

Denise said...

Such a lovely post sis.

Melanie said...

I want to be like those deer, too.
My love to you today ~

Melanie Redd said...

Great visual, Lisa. Thanks for sharing the picture and connecting it with some wonderful verses!

Blessings to you,
Melanie

Lisa Buffaloe said...

I love when God gives us visuals of His word! Joining you in prayer to "be like that deer. I want to want Him so badly that the things that usually scare me won’t drive me away from the Water." Amen!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Beautiful post and a beautiful illustration....

Gretchen said...

Girl, I know you're busy with the move, and beating cancer and all, but truly...you need to write devotionals (and get paid for them). l.u.r.v.e.

Donna said...

Lisa,

This was just beautiful! Sometimes we sing the song "As the deer pants for the water, so my heart longs for you..." Your story just brought the song to life, as well as the picture. Thanks so much for sharing!

Blessings to you today!