home about speaking she cares resources contact

Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Rest of the Lollipops

As I read Becky’s story, I was laughing and crying all at the same time. Becky didn’t like the way the word cancer made her feel so she decided instead of saying her mom had cancer she would call her mom’s cancer “lollipops.”

The next afternoon when Becky came home from school, her mom gave her a big, red lollipop and told her to eat it. Becky began to lick the lollipop. Her mom told her just like the lollipop disappeared with every single lick, her cancer was disappearing with every dose of medicine (chemo) and every touch of the laser (radiation).

I began to think how this is a lot like suffering. God has shown me through this cancer thing that suffering is His sweet invitation to us. He invites us to be keenly aware of our need for Him and to share in the suffering He endured for our sake. My journey of suffering has been an invitation to walk hand in hand with Jesus every single day. Not only have I heard His voice, I’ve been more aware than ever of His presence.

But the first thing I had to do was accept His invitation. Now, I didn’t say yes to cancer… I said yes to Jesus and for me that included cancer. He extended this “lollipop” to me. I took it, engaged with Him and began to walk the road. Every single day, I am a bit closer to the end of this particular road. Isn’t that how it is with suffering? Just as every lick took a little bit of Becky’s lollipop, every step eases a little of our suffering.

Some of us suffer with cancer, some with rebellious children, hard marriages, financial stress and some with overwhelming laundry. The degree of suffering varies in our lives from time to time. But God remains constant. Through His special invitation to us, God can make our suffering sweet if we allow Him to. Job is one of the most famous sufferers and this is what he said after his ordeal, “I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God.” (Job 19:25-26)

As a result of suffering, I’ve shared sweet fellowship with Jesus. I feel like He is there like never before. My husband even joked with me this weekend telling me he felt like I was now in God’s “inner circle.” The truth is that I feel that way too. Needing Jesus in a way like never before, has put me in a spot to fellowship with Him on a new level and in a new way. I am thankful for that sweet fellowship.

When I received my cancer diagnosis I got the gift of instant perspective. My priorities were in instantly rearranged and I knew what was really important. That has been a huge blessing.

One of the sweetest things in this journey has been how God’s promises seem to be just for me. It’s like God took the Bible and put a spin on it so it was all about me. I have absolutely loved how personal He’s made big truths in my life. I can’t really explain it except that it’s the living part of God’s Word. My relationship with Jesus makes all the difference. Scripture ceases to be a written book and becomes a spoken word from a living God.

Of course, a big sweetness that I’m looking forward to is sweet victory. I love to win and the truth is one way or another, I will beat cancer. Cancer does not have me. And I look forward to being totally free from cancer.

What invitation is God extending to you today sweet friend? It’s not too late to take that lollipop and start licking. Let Him make the hard things sweet.

We go through exactly what Christ goes through. If we go through the hard times with him, then we're certainly going to go through the good times with him! Romans 8:17

10 comments:

Bernie said...

Oh Lisa I do like where you are at with all of this. You have had so much going on these past several weeks and your attitude is fantastic. By you being this way you are making this journey for your husband, children and yourself so much easier.....Be well my dear friend.....:-)Hugs

lifeinreturn said...

Thank you for this. I have been sick for the past couple of months w/o any answers and w/o a job or health insurance. It is quite frustrating and I find myself in tears and anguish many a night. I am praying that I would respond rightly in this time of my life in the case that I am not.

Thank you, sis.

Grace and peace,
Jenn

Denise said...

Amen sweet sis, you will be victorious over cancer. You are on God's team, and that is the winning team. I love you.

Debbie said...

You will never know how this encouraged me this morning. I understand the dependency upon Him. I am having my biopsy this morning and my head is all over the place. But I keep coming back to Him and just KNOW He will be there for me. Have a wonderful day, and thanks for this. Hugs, Debbie

Jan said...

Beautiful post Lisa and so very true! I can't imagine walking through the trials of this life without allowing Jesus to lead the way!

Love your new home! It's gorgeous :)

Tammy Real-McKeighan said...

Oh my Lisa! What a marvelous testimony of faith in our precious Lord! You are truly inspirational! And I love the part where your husband says you're in God's inner circle. It reminds me of Psalm 91 which as I'm sure you know begins: "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."

Bless you!

Queenmothermamaw said...

Thank dear Lisa for your witness again today. I am trying to apply all your wisdom to what my family is dealing with. Blessings
QMM

Donna said...

Thank you Lisa for this beautiful and inspiring post! May we never look at suffering in the same way again. May we look at it as "His sweet invitation to us." May we recognize that "The degree of suffering varies in our lives from time to time. But God remains constant." But God remains constant! May that resonate deep within our spirits!

Thank you Lisa for sharing from your innermost being and thus speaking words of life into our lives!

Anonymous said...

you are an amazing woman ! look at how God is using you ! we love you, keep the faith and keep us inspired.





Cindy

Lacy said...

You were and are amazing! You blessed Madisonville in a mighty way. Your smile is so contagious. I have had you on my heart and as your tired today and dealing with the "drips" I will be lifting your name up to the Lord. I am so happy and honored that I got to meeet you and you have inspired me....to have more quit time and get up and Run! Ill be in touch. Keep fighting sista!
Lacy