home about speaking she cares resources contact

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Lollipops and Cancer

Cancer and lollipops. That’s what I talked about Saturday night.

When Kelly called me in March, I wanted to say yes but I felt I had to qualify my yes a little. I told her I believed with all my heart God equips those He calls but she should know that I had no idea how I’d be feeling, where I’d be living or if I would even be able to speak come May. She said she was certain God wanted her to ask me and He would certainly provide. So we sealed the deal, I would come to the annual Madisonville Faith Baptist Mother/Daughter Banquet.

I love how she said that all daughters were invited... Loved that! So we celebrated as mothers and daughters of all ages, an intergenerational night of fellowship. It was wonderful! Back to our conversation...

As we hung up she casually mentioned she thought the theme of the banquet would be Lollipops and Gumdrops and explained how they were a pretty thematic church… No pressure to speak on the topic but that’s what it would be. Cough Cough

My prayer, uttered between scheduling doctors’ appointments, looking for houses, packing boxes and fighting cancer was this, “Lollipops, God. Lollipops?” Then I would go about my business silently mourning the fact that I did not have the kind of soaking time to sit before the Lord and listen for His voice in the way I would’ve liked to prepare for this event.

Fast forward. Good Friday. I went to MD Anderson for some rib x-rays and scans. Remember? While there, I went to the library. I was told they could do several things for me. They could provide me with lots of information about my diagnosis. They could give me resources to help my children deal with an impending cancer treatment. They could answer my questions and help me to answer my children’s questions in an expert manner. Being the word and book loving girl I am, I was thrilled to have an opportunity to visit the library!

I walk right up to the help desk and give them my formal diagnosis. Stage 2 high grade pleomorphic sarcoma of the breast. The resource lady looks at me and says, “You have what? In the where?” Then after about 45 minutes of digging through folders, tapping on her keyboard and searching the MD Anderson data base, she politely informed me that there are no articles or journals written about my diagnosis except this one really old one. Ironically, it was the same one I received on day one of my diagnosis reinforcing just how rare high grade pleomorphic sarcome of the breast really is.

So I asked if she could give me some good resources for the children. She did. When I got home that night, I picked up the book called “When a Parent Has Cancer” by Wendy Schlessel Harpham, M.D. In this book, the author tells a story about a little girl named Becky. Becky’s mother has cancer. One day Becky tells her mom she doesn’t like the word cancer because she doesn’t like how it makes her feel when she says it. So Becky decides she’s going to give her mom’s cancer a new name. Instead of saying, “My mom has cancer,” Becky is going to start saying, “My mom has lollipops.”

I know, astounding. As I picked my chin up off the floor, tears slipped down my cheeks. And once again, I praised my God for not forgetting me. In that second, I knew God knew that I would be right here in the middle of suffering, right here in the middle of fighting and right here in the middle of moving when He would use me to deliver His message at a banquet called Lollipops and Gumdrops.

At that moment, He reiterated the fact to me that He always qualifies those He calls. He gave me a deep peace about saying yes to the speaking engagement. That was the moment I knew that I knew that I knew God had a special message for the ladies of Faith Baptist Church.

I’ll explain more about lollipops and the word God has for all of us later but for now, isn’t that so awesome that God would share Becky’s story with me?

“For I am God, your very own God, who stirs up the sea and whips up the waves, named God-of-the-Angel-Armies. I teach you how to talk, word by word, and personally watch over you.” Isaiah 51:15-16

22 comments:

Donna said...

That was beautiful Lisa! It's so cool how God brings things together for us. Can't wait to hear more about the lollipops!

Hope you have a super blessed day!

Debbie said...

This gave me goosebumps...How awesome is our God? HUGS, BLESSINGS & PRAYERS, Debbie

MommaMindy said...

Was your message recorded? That might be a great little audio or visual to offer on the sidebar of your blog. Most of us are now wishing we could have been there. Praying for you, sister.

Angel Muly said...

What an awesome story!! You gave me goose bumps!! I stand in amazement of our wonderful Lord. He continually shows Himself faithful in the biggest ways!! Praise God!! Thanks for sharing!! Love and Blessings

Kathy@ Gone North said...

OH MY... what an encouragement for today. I am anxiously waiting to hear what you had to say to those Blessed Mothers & Daughters.
(Gorgeous house BTW : )

Denise said...

You bless me daily sis, love you.

Christie said...

Lisa,

Only He could think of something like that! Isn't it amazing that God cares about us SO much that He would reveal his grace and glory through lollipops!

Love it!

Love,
Christie

Andrea said...

Oh, Lisa..I have HOLY SPIRIT bumps all over me! HE IS AWESOME...."lollipops"....I love it!

Blessings, hugs, and continued prayers, andrea

Loren said...

It never fails to just ASTOUND me how the Lord does this!!! But why? does it Astound ME ~ HE is, afterall the LORD! HE is with us always ~ He knows our days, our hearts, our emotions, our future! YEt, when HE does things like this....oh my. it.is.humbling! and exciting all at once!

Lisa, HE has tangibly been with you and we have seen that every step of the way! This journey has encouraged me and my faith in more ways than I can explain. To see you and your faith grow, to see HIM touch you in these precious ways has just been at times breath taking! Our Father ~ HE is just.....well, no words can truly describe how AWESOME HE and HIS love and HIS touch is!

Love and hugs to you my friend! Can't wait to hear the rest of the story

Lisa Buffaloe said...

Oh Lisa, how sweet of God! He is such an AMAZING God. I love His encouragement to you and now on to us and beyond.

Praying for you, sweet lady!

Queenmothermamaw said...

Oh Lisa what an amazing story. Not a coincidence, of course. God always speaks, we don't always hear. You are great at pointing out how to hear. Blessings dear one.
QMM

Melanie Redd said...

Lisa,

Thanks for sharing about the lollipops! What a great story and an amazing example of God's impeccable timing.

Praying for you today as you deal with all of the "lollipops" in your world!

Blessings,
Melanie

Ketty said...

Lisa, you touch my heart every time I read your blog.
You are in my prayers.

Ketty

Melanie said...

Very cool. Now I'll wait for "the rest of the story..."

His Girl said...

oh my golly girlfriend!

lollipops.

our God is such a PERSONAL, FUNNY GOD, isn't He?

I am just blown over.


sheesh. that was AMAZING.

Jen said...

That is such an amazingly small detail -- I love that God uses it almost like He's showing off!!

Andrea Frazer - Pass the Zoloft said...

Wow, that was pretty amazing indeed. Can't wait to hear about the speaking engagement. Until then, walk softly and carry a big stick... with a lollypop on top! Go girl go!

kim said...

Lisa,

LOVE it!!

God spoke through your blog to me this morning. The last few days, I have been experiencing some scarry symptoms and as with most who have gone through cancer treatments, it is a challenge to not let the fear monsters take residence in your brain.

Thank you for the reminder that God is all the details!

Look forward to hearing more of the story.

Blessings

Sandy at God Speaks Today said...

Tears...chills...goosebumps.

You made my morning by sharing that amazing story of God's love. I love how he NEVER EVER forgets where we are.

I love you, sweet friend.
Sandy

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

Oh, Lisa. I am crying and thanking God that he is constantly reminding you how present he is, just in case you ever wonder.

much love.

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Oh, Lisa...this brought tears to my eyes!!! I'm so glad God has wrapped you in his arms and held you so close as you've been walking this difficult path!!! I continue to pray for you daily! Sending you much love, Janine XO

Mary Nelson said...

Hello, precious girl and fab banquet speaker! I am catching up on a couple of blogs and am completely amazed at the lollipops story! Biggest WOW EVER!!! I love thinking about how God loved doing that for you and the women at the Madisonville church. Also, per FB, did you go to a Jimmy Buffet concert??? In Conroe??? Love you!