home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Jacob's Ladder

Last night I was watching The Biggest Loser. Our family enjoys watching this together and looking for ways we, as a family, can become healthier. (My confession is I always cry. Every.single.episode. I cry. I hide my tears and try not to show my family but I cry. I love watching people accomplish things they never dreamed were possible. I love experiencing it myself.) Anyway, the episode I saw last night was one where the contestants competed on an exercise apparatus called Jacob’s ladder. Whichever contestant climbed Jacob’s ladder long enough won. God was just warming me up so He could speak to me later.
I am embarking on a journey through John. I’m doing another at-your-own-pace Bible study that a friend wrote. (I’ll gladly pass on the info if anyone is interested.) The reason I chose to do this is twofold. One, I really like this friend who wrote it. Two, I have another good friend who tells his children that he’ll pay them $50 if they read the book of John and discuss it with him. I’ve always thought about making this offer to my own children and thought maybe I should prepare myself first! So I’m reading the book of John just for the sake of reading the book of John and hearing the voice of John’s God. The study is primarily reading the book of John and writing some of original reflections… Totally my kind of study!
I started with John 1. In the beginning was the Word… but what captured my interest last night was John 1:51 where Jesus is referred to as a ladder. Listen.
“Then he said, “I tell you the truth, you will all see heaven open and the angels of God going up and down on the Son of Man, the one who is the stairway between heaven and earth.”
I love this image! As Jesus stretched out on the cross, He spanned the very wide gap between heaven and earth. I love the image of stairs. Why? We must climb them to go the distance. Jesus is there offering the way. We must take the first step.
My thoughts immediately raced to Jacob’s ladder as I saw this image. I've always been intrigued by Jacob and his ladder. I understand that God gave Jacob a vision of heaven but last night I began to understand its significance. I began to see Jacob’s ladder as more than a visionary glimpse of heaven, I now see it as a prophetic glimpse of our Savior. God in all His goodness and sovereignty showed Jacob a glimpse of Jesus. God promises Jacob that all people on earth will be blessed through Jacob’s offspring. Have you checked out the genealogy of Jesus lately? Yes, Jacob is Jesus’ forefather. The One through whom all nations are blessed.
Then Jacob’s response is to say this, “this is the gate of heaven,” about the place where he had the dream. One of my favorite names for Jesus is the gate. “Yes, I am the gate. Those who come in through me will be saved.” John 10:9
Once again, I am thankful to serve and know Jacob’s God and I am now so thankful I climb Jacob’s ladder. I love putting the pieces of the puzzle together!
“As he slept, he dreamed of a stairway that reached from the earth up to heaven. And he saw the angels of God going up and down the stairway. At the top of the stairway stood the Lord…” Genesis 28:12-13

4 comments:

Denise said...

Keep climbing sis, love you.

Bernie said...

Keep climbing the ladder Lisa, eventually you will make it to the top......big hugs.......:-)

Debbie said...

Good Morning...I too love watching the Biggest Loser and usually end up in tears as well. I love it for the same reason. Watching someone work soo hard to achieve their goal, and wanting it soo bad is just soo inspirational. I just watched the Jacob's ladder episode as well and had such similiar thoughts. Jesus IS our ladder and Praise God for it. Have a wonderful day...

Andrea said...

Praising GOD for your ability to see the climb of Jacobs Ladder as a positive...to learn and grow closer to our precious Heavenly Father. You are an inspiration to all of us.
Blessings,
andrea

PS: Sitka has an award for you at All Gods Creatures.