home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Fresh Morning Dew

I had made time yesterday to sit with the Lord. Not in the car. Not in a loud, busy morning house. Not in a chaotic, time between after school, dinner and homework house. Not with a cute but very needy four-year-old with me space. Just time. Alone. Sitting quietly. Before the Lord.

That was good. That was the time I needed. Time I miss.

I feel totally renewed today. Refreshed. Ready.

This morning I am ready to accept my calling. My today calling to sit in a waiting room at a cancer hospital. To look for ways to share God’s goodness in that waiting room. To drive there in traffic. To drive home in traffic. To run as many errands on the way as I have the time. I’m ready.

I’m not just waiting.  I’m waiting with others. Just as God knew I would wait, He knows the new friends I wait with.

He knows Pat who was on hospice a few months ago because Scott and White sent her home to die. Her sons who love her so much drove her to MD Anderson and demanded she get another opinion. The doctors have stopped the tumor growth with radiation and she is hopeful and she is living.

He knows Longeno who drives a long, long way to receive treatments and then hurries home each Friday so her sweet husband can work all weekend on a fishing boat to support another week’s worth of treatment.

He knows Donna who sings with a beautiful voice would be fighting to save her voice because cancer is trying to settle in on her tonsils and steal her singing voice’s beauty. He knew how sick she would be and how hard her treatments would be on her and her family. He knows.

He knows all the others who sit with me each day passing the time, fighting cancer and hoping this treatment will work. He knows them intimately. He has given me the opportunity to know them a little. It is an opportunity I do not take lightly. Knowing each of these brave survivors and their families has touched me deeply. It has marked me for life.

Realizing that the God I am so intimately in love with loves each of these people is humbling and overwhelming. Hearing their own miracles and stories of faith and love and fight inspires me.

I’ve been worn out from the drive, the fight, the struggle. Last night, I settled in to wait on the Lord. I began to pray for each of my new friends. As I poured out my heart for them, the Lord strengthened me. He is so faithful.

My time. Last night. Alone. It was a good thing.

“Sit in the place of honor at my right hand until I humble your enemies…and your strength will be renewed each day like the morning dew.” Psalm 110:1 & 3

10 comments:

Donna said...

Lisa that was so beautiful! You may not fully know the impact you are having on the lives of those you are waiting with. You may not know the prayers of far away family members for someone to speak words of life to their loved ones. But God has you there for such a time as this. As you are speaking and praying for your new friends, He is renewing you and strengthing you. How awesome! I am thankful that you had your quiet time with the Lord and He ministered to you in a special way. Know that you continue to be in our prayers!

Kathy@ Gone North said...

My Goodness that was so sweet! Thank You for sharing your perspective. May you be Jesus today, to those in traffic, to those at the hospital, to those you meet along the way to your healing.
Thanks for the reminder.

Deborah said...

Isn't it amazing of how many people you sit with who are so sick and you are a little bit of their lives. I think of that all the time when I take Penny to her treatments or the the Doctors. You do get to know the patients a little and it makes me count my Blessings every day.
xxoo
Deborah

Debbie said...

What an inspiring and loving post. It is such a good prospective. I am continually amazed at the loving hand of our Lord. He has filled me with His peace as I too have begun this journey with breast cancer and how grateful I am. I don't have many details yet but I am seeing the surgeon today so I imagine things will start sorting out soon. I do see God's hand all over this ~ right down to those I have come across who are ahead of me on the road ~ especially someone like you who knows Him intimately and inspires me everyday. I will pray for those you come across today who might be ministered to you by you...HUGS, Debbie

Christie said...

Lisa,

Thank you for your steadfast spirit during this time in your life.

7 years out, sometimes I forget that I too have been given grace in the battle that you are fighting right now. What I would have given to know the Lord back then and been able to glorify Him through it all.

Thinking about and praying for you. That He would continue to impart grace and bless you with the strength through this battle FOR HIS GLORY!

Love you!
Christie

Bernie said...

Lisa I am sure God is using you to inspire your new found cancer friends as well as having them inspire you......I love that you are able to see the pain and worries of others as well as your own. You are an amazing lady and I send you much love and many prayers. I am humbled and honored to call you one of my most inspiring blogging friend....:-)Hugs

~ Being Woven said...

...like the morning dew" ...
Moments of refreshment are so needed and so rarely taken yet are waiting for us if we would just sit before our LORD. Allowing God to use you in the cancer waiting room is a beautiful and powerful place to be, sweet Lisa.
praying for and loving you, ~ linda

Denise said...

May you continue to be refreshed sis, love you.

Gretchen said...

And why do we put this time off? Thank you (again...)for this, Lisa. Mad love. Thank You, Jesus, for the intimate appointment you gave Lisa with Your other struggling children. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Smelling Coffee said...

Hi Lisa~ I had a lot of posts to catch up on and was blessed by every one! I have been praying for you as the Lord brings you to my mind. I love the lollipop take on the cancer - and on any other struggle we are walking out with the Lord. But the thing you shared that has made the biggest impact on me tonight is this quote:

"I may not have the answers but I have The Answer. And having The Answer is better than having all the answers in the world. Knowing The Answer is so much sweeter than knowing the answers to all my questions that I have now and forevermore."

I'm seeking so many answers right now - and am fighting hard to keep my focus on the Answer, not the answers needed. The Lord used what you wrote to bless and strengthen me.

I pray sweet rest for you, Lisa... rest in body, mind, and heart~

Jennifer