home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, May 31, 2010

Being Alive

"IT'S GREAT TO BE ALIVE!” The words echoed through out campsite. It was o’early thirty and I was a counselor on a summer hiking trip.

We were surrounded by God’s beauty in the mountains of Colorado. Camping atop a mountain, looking down over a sparkling lake, seeing snow capped mountaintops and lush green foliage everywhere. A beautiful waterfall was just a short rock climb away. Surrounded by God’s beauty it seemed the perfect song to sing.

Barely out of my teens myself, I got that we were in a special place but not how truly great it was to be alive. Today, this Memorial Day, I feel like I know just a little bit more.

All those years ago, my whole life stretched out before me like an endless highway. Today I’ve come quite a ways down that road. I still can’t see the end but I can’t see the beginning anymore either.

I’ve had brushes with the edge and some mighty close calls. I don’t have to be surrounded by extreme nature to sing a song anymore. I can be surrounded by four squealing voices in a man made swimming pool in the Texas heat.

Yet, it’s great to be alive!

“This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.” Psalm 118:24

7 comments:

Denise said...

Praising God with you, and for you sis. I love you.

Bernie said...

This is one on my favorite Psalms and I say it every morning when I wake up......be well my friend, always in my heart and prayers.
......:-) Hugs

Gretchen said...

Woo Hoo. It's great to be alive, indeed. My dtr learned this Psalm to a song in preschool when she was almost 3. So dear. And reminds me that we need to be childlike each day in our faith. xxxooo

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Every DAY is truly a gift!!! Thank you for such a beautiful reminder, dear Lisa!! Love you! Janine XO

Tea With Tiffany said...

Are you in Colorado still? hugs and prayers

Lisa Buffaloe said...

Praising God and praying for you, sweet Lisa!

prashant said...

Praising God with you
Banner Advertising Network India