home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Sometimes I Just Don’t Understand

Sometimes I just don’t understand why it has to be so hard. I just don’t understand why it has to be so messy. I like neat packages tied with pretty bows. Yet I can never seem to fit all I need to wrap inside the little box I’m given.

I run late. I come unprepared. I never seem to be dressed appropriately or ready to start my work.

But in my weakness He is made strong. He is more than enough.

If you could see my house, you would understand what I mean. Yesterday I thought it was hardly possible to move out Saturday morning. “At least we’ll get a good start,” I thought.

Even this morning God is still providing all we need to make completely moving out on Saturday a reality. Do we have everything we need? No, not yet.

But God has shown me He’s always right on time.

(Never early. Never late. Never ever early but also never ever late.) I know I have enough for today and when tomorrow arrives, it will be taken care of too. I know this because God not only says it, He’s done it again and again right before my very eyes!

It’s hard to live like this. Hard. Super hard. I like pretty packages with colorful bows, the professionally wrapped type. I like notes on a calendar with a time penciled next to each one and a little beep on my cell phone thirty minutes prior reminding me to load the car.

I am living put-one-foot-in-front-of the-other and don’t-forget-to-answer-the-phone-because-it’s-God-delivering-my-need-for-this-very-minute. This life is difficult but it’s certainly exciting. It takes a lot of remembering, reminding and focus. Although, Starbucks and dark chocolate help significantly, I need some coping mechanisms that are easier on my hips! Here’s how I’m doing it.

1. Remind myself continually of Who God is. He’s always provided for His people and He will provide for me. “You can be sure that God will take care of everything you need, his generosity exceeding even yours in the glory that pours from Jesus.” Philippians 4:19

2. Pray continually. Keeping my needs before my Father keeps me in a joyful state of worship instead of a paralyzing state of worry. “Be cheerful no matter what; pray all the time; thank God no matter what happens. This is the way God wants you who belong to Christ Jesus to live.” 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

3. Spend time in God’s Word each day no matter what. “Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don't worry about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met.” Matthew 6:33

4. Don’t look past today; it’s hard enough on its own. “Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes.” Matthew 6:34

5. Look at things from God’s point of view and listen to his voice. “Your words are so choice, so tasty… With your instruction, I understand life.” Psalm 119:104

What are some ways you cope when life is too much to understand or seems like too much to handle?

12 comments:

Denise said...

I just keep leaning on those precious everlasting arms, and let Him carry me when the load gets too heavy. I love you sis.

Patrina said...

Lisa,
That was sooo cool to see the first Bible verse that I put to memory 2 days ago..I finally I comitted to memorizing scripture @ 57 years of age. Philipians 4:19 was my first! Provision was always my hardest thing to trust Him with - since I've been divorced 11 years. But the Lord is strengthening my faith and Provision is one of the biggest things that I am learning to trust Him with now. He does make a way - and He is never late!

I keep my head above waer through prayer and soaking up the Word! Now, I am hiding that Word in my heart. I have many many hymns hidden in my heart - and they are mnost written from scripture - and written in times of great turmoil or thanksgiving...so the Lord gives me hymns that spring up in my heart and spill out into my circumstance. He is the JOY of my heart and I sing from deep within that JOY.

I also sing quite often that short little chorus "Wonderful Peace" ..."peace , peace, wonderful peace - coming down from the Father above, sweep over my spirit forever I pray, with fathomless billows of LOVE.' When I'm praying fevently for a friend or non-aquaintance in trouble, I sing this song over and over and substitute their name for 'my spirit' ..it is so effective ...it brings my own mind to peace with the situation that I'm praying into.

Thanks for sharing in the midst of your situation... I am praying for you and your family...and please know too..I am singing that song of PEACE over you and your and your circumstance this week and after.

Love you, friend
Peace...Shalom
Patrina <")>><
His watchman on the wall

Jen said...

Although my circumstances are different, I am going through a very difficult time with the whole "I'll show you one step at a time"...waiting is not my strong suit, and waiting on God is one of the hardest things I've done. My head knows that He is faithful, but my heart has moments of wonder...sometimes I just want things to be "settled."
{{{hug}}} as you get ready to move this weekend!

Jan said...

Beautifully written Lisa! Actually my dear, that sums up all your posts. I truly believe that God has chosen to move you and your family so you can begin to share His love in a new Community :)

Queenmothermamaw said...

One thing for sure Lisa you will be taking such an inspirational attitude about living with God alone with you. Someone mentioned God is sending you where you are needed and where you need to be. Blessings
QMM

Christie said...

Lisa,

Thank you for that post! Knowing that God provides it ALL in His timing.

Leaning on God is the hardest and most gratifying experience in life. Knowing that the wait is hard and the "No" at times. But, in the end, it all works out for His purposes and glory!!

Praying for you!

Love,
Christie

Cindy (Letters From Midlife) said...

A few years ago I came across this quote: Surrender to the limitations of the day. I'm not naturally a very flexible person so I don't always handle it well when things get messy or go off schedule. I try to remind myself to surrender to the limitations of the day and let the Lord take care of the details that seem to be falling apart. Do all I can do and leave the outcome to Him. It's easier said than done sometimes but doable.

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Good for you, dear Lisa! That's just the BEST response to where you are right now! You are so wise! And I like how you've made these principles so accessible for the rest of us! I'm also glad God is providing so wonderfully for you...and will pray that Saturday's move comes off beautifully well! Love, Janine XO

Deborah said...

Hi Lisa, I just try to rest, lately my life has turned upside down. Nothing seems to be easy anymore and this may sound strange but I find strength in reading my friends blogs. I pray a lot and I wonder why a lot, more than I should, I know, but I still do. You seem to have it all together in my eyes!
xxoo
Deborah

GrandmaK said...

Know what you are going through. Best laid plans...boxes with names and rooms where they are to be places they're everywhere but where the are to be), lists of things to do and then the distractions (You know, the one item on the list that causes you to forget the list.) ...Yes, moving is a "great adventure" as a dear friend always reminded me. God Bless you on your way!!! Well, we all know he will. It just doesn't hurt to reinforce it. Am off to prayer. Praying for you! Cathy

TRUTH SHARER said...

Reminds me of something God showed me again last night.

Many people who face difficulties cry out and say, "Why, God?"
rather than asking, "What, God?"

"What is it that you want to teach me, show me, refine in me.... and what is it that will be used for your 'kingdom purpose' in all that You are taking me through?"

Love you much
[[HUGS]]
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

I learned how to open properly wrapped presents at your birthday parties... I have now forgotten in this age of "I'm going to pretend that using tissue paper and a gift bag is as special as wrapping something." Moving is not fun, no matter how you wrap it! But, this time next week will be better and more settled, and more organized than today.

Love you!

Dianna