home about speaking she cares resources contact

Thursday, April 29, 2010

A Place to Call Home

By faith. Two words. Many before me. Just read Hebrews 11, “The Hall of Faith.”. It rattles off many men and women before me who have lived by faith. Great icons in the faith that are role models for me, they show me how to walk out this faith I have, how to move forward and well, just move in faith.

Tomorrow! Yes, tomorrow is our designated moving day. The two movers that were supposed to help us Saturday, both said they couldn’t Saturday but they could Friday. How’s that for God-organization? Tomorrow!

I’m sad because I don’t feel like I’ve had time to say goodbye or celebrate what was here. Yes, that makes me sad. All of the conveniences I’ve taken for granted here will be left untouched for yet another day, week or month depending on when I can get back to hug folks. I pray that this summer we can make time to just come back and say goodbye.

This morning the crazy-worry is gone. In the quietness, I just know it will all work out and there is no need to rush through it all yelling like a maniac (I am very capable of that, you know.) because after all, it is just a house. That's what my sweet friend Tara (I'll have to introduce you to her some time.) told me and she's right. It is just a house. I will pack the last boxes, run a few errands, hug the friends that stop by this morning and order tasty take out for dinner.

Tomorrow we will load trucks, pick the children up on the way out of town and sleep in our new home. We will spend the time we have there this weekend unpacking and start our new lives on Monday. We won’t be comfortable. We won’t feel at home yet. We won’t be settled.

And then I think about Abraham, Jacob, Moses, Paul, John the Baptist and even Jesus. Were they settled? Were they comfortable? Did they ever feel at home as they slept at night?

The answer makes me sweat because I spend lots (and lots and lots and lots) of my time trying to make my home a comfortable place for my family, a refuge from the outside world, the place they would most rather be. I’m not saying that’s wrong. I’m just saying maybe I should spend as much time training them for their heaven home. Maybe I should let go of my earth home ideas and follow the footsteps of my ancestors. Yes, I’ll try to keep that in mind as I pack boxes today for my next temporary home. I'll try to keep that in mind next week and the week after when the walls are still bare waiting for paint. I'll try to remember that as I focus on getting my treatments, getting my rest and getting well.

And thank you, Jen for the fun convo that led to these thoughts. And to Marilyn who also has been sending out reminders that "this world is not my home...I'm just a passin' through."

“But they were looking forward to a better home in heaven. That's why God wasn't ashamed for them to call him their God. He even built a city for them.” Hebrews 11:16

9 comments:

Michele said...

You can do it! It is going to be a great God-led adventure!! Praying for you Lisa!

Christie said...

Lisa,

That's right, this world is not our home...and isn't that comforting at times!?

It is just a house, but sometimes the memories are so very special that it's hard to let go of. Let God create new memories in your new "temporary" home. Home is where your family is and God is in your heart...He'll never leave you! :)

Love always,
Christie

texasmcvays said...

Hey Girl,
So do you want us to come by on Friday or do you want to plan on us coming to the home after Radiation? We are at your beckon call! Love ya!
Kyle

Smelling Coffee said...

Praying for you right now, Lisa, as you move ahead... by faith!

Jennifer

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Girl, you have been such an inspiration and encouragement to me since we "met" several months ago! I think of you so often! I'm afraid my cleaning spree of a few weeks ago has gotten side tracked with "life". ha I need to get back to it. The things I did get cleaned are still pretty much clean so when I go in the spare bedroom now I breathe a sigh of relief instead of getting knot in my tummy! Thanks for your cheerleading in this area of my life!

May God bless you in an extra special way as you move to a new home this weekend. We'll be anxiously awaiting pictures some day down the road!

Love you sis!

Marilyn...in Mississippi

p.s. thanks for linking to me today! I consider that quite an honor! :)

Debbie said...

I am happy for you that all the details seem to be worked out. I am sad for you as you leave this home and it's memories behind you. And I look forward to hearing everything that the Lord has planned for you in your new home with all it's memories yet to be laying in front of you...Praying all goes well...HUGS, Debbie

Angel Muly said...

Love this post Lisa!! Great way to look at things. These homes are just temporary, I pray you are blessed and peaceful in your new TEMPORARY home!! Love and Blessings, Angel

Denise said...

Praying for you sis, love you.

Elizabeth said...

I want to see pictures of your new house! When you get a chance of course...