home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Out of the Box

*****Moving Update***** The Lord has provided! We have provision to move our furniture. The Lord has provided manpower, trucks and trailers. Please keep praying it all works out wonderfully. Our estimated date of moving is SATURDAY!!***************

Tonight I sprawl exhausted on my unmade bed most of my last 12 years boxed up around me. Emotions tumble inside my head and heart. Does it really all fit in these few boxes?

Except for the four hyperactive, taking-advantage-of-the-boxed turmoil munchkins running through my house in pajamas right now, yes…Or maybe not.

I can’t box the good cry I had last week on my BFF’s shoulder. I can’t box the memories floating between these walls and lingering in my heart from Christmas mornings past, first days of school and that special first homecoming from the birthing room.

I can’t box love and thanksgiving and exclamation I felt over first words, first steps, first tooth lost. I can’t box that special moment when Andrew and I just knew our marriage would make it. We were sitting on the couch in our living room just talking. TV off. Sleeping baby in bassinet.

I can’t box the nursery walls that I stared at for hours on end while rocking a nursing baby. I can’t box the biggest live Christmas tree we ever had or the little boy who proudly picked it from the lot. I can’t box the little bitty chunky toddlers who ran around chasing toys in our hallway.

I can’t box the visitors who graced our front door or the college girls who’ve sat with me, folding my laundry or played hide and seek when I was too tired or sick. I can’t. I wish I could but I can’t.

I can package those memories in my heart, tie them with a pretty bow to unload at a later time. I’ll know just where they are when I need access to them.

I can pray that I live intentionally when I get to my new home. I can pray that I have more to box in my heart than I have to box in my house when I leave there. I pray I can add to my heart quickly. I pray I would choose to add to my heart instead of spending way too much time adding to my house.

Because after all, home is where the heart is.

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:21

11 comments:

Beth@Not a Bow in Sight said...

Oh Lisa! What a sweet post! I moved several times as a child and remember the excitement and the sadness of it all. I still drive by my childhood homes every once in a while and smile :)

Shonda said...

OH you have a way of capturing the emotions in words. I know the feelings you described about moving. I lived in the same town for 21 years. That one particular house for 12. I'm still working on the new one, but it's all in the heart though some of the walls are still bare. I'll be praying for your move this weekend.
Love & blessings--
shonda

Queenmothermamaw said...

God bless and go with you. Blessings
QMM

Denise said...

Such a touching post sis, love you. I am praying for the move to go smoothly. Remember, you are taking your heart with you, which is your precious family.

Andrea said...

Sounds like your heart is overflowing with beautiful memories.

Blessings, hugs, and prayers,
andrea

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Lisa, this is a beautifully expression of the emotions we feel when we must say "goodbye." You use repetition and the box figuratively...and create an image that is powerful and unforgettable! You are truly an inspiration! And I just know that God is using you and your gift mightily to touch many, many lives. You must be exhausted...I moved in the middle of my cancer treatment...between surgeries and chemo...it was very hard...I am praying for you especially!!! Love you, Janine XO

Bernie said...

Keeping you in my heart and prayers Lisa....I hope you have lots of help with everything. It will be nice that your family will be in one place and Andrew won't have so much driving to do.
Be strong, luv you.....:-) Hugs

Sonja said...

Just think, even though the walls where those memories were formed won't be going with you, everything that was formed within those walls will be right in your car, riding into the next chapter, no doubt more loudly and happily than you might feel, but THEY and HE are the jewels from those walls.

Praying for you daily Lisa.

Hugs!

Sonja

Loren said...

Oh Lisa...this is just beautiful! Your heart is sooo full and you will release more and more of the love as your journey continues...each of these precious moments in your life tell your story and with each new day your new memories and moments in time will continue to tell more and more of Gods Love and Faithfulness!

Praying for you my friend....Love you
xoxo

Debbie said...

Oh Lisa, moving is hard! I know because I just did it last month. We even sold all of our furniture.

However, I've found you can make almost anything a home when there's love. I'm adjusting to our rental and I'm making it as homey as I can. It may not be the same but I see God at work through all of the difficulties. He is faithful.

Hugs to you,
Debbie

Debbie said...

You captured the feelings of a "move" sooo well. We too will be moving in a couple of months or so from a home we have lived in for 25 years. Oh the mixed feelings I too have. I am excited for the new pages of my life to be filled with "different" memories, but sooo much happened within these walls. My daughter was born here and lived here till she married. She is having such a hard time with this. But you are soo right. It is what I have told her. We are taking our family, our memories, and our hearts with us. Different surroundings for sure...but the all the same love. Praying your move goes well. HUGS, Debbie