home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

More to Come: Part 1

Who would have thought God's saving power would look like this? That’s what Isaiah 53:1 says in The Message. I can’t get this question out of my mind.

Throughout my cancer diagnosis, I haven’t really spent many days questioning God. “Why” seems so irrelevant when I can see his goodness so clearly.

I am so thankful I have an intimacy with God that cancer can’t take from me. I’m so grateful the Holy Spirit caused me to take the time to cultivate intimacy with Jesus long before this cancer struck. I often wonder where I would be without Him. I’m so glad I know who He is.

Because really, who would’ve thought God’s saving power in my own life would look like this? I certainly didn’t see cancer as part of God’s power to enact his plan in my life. I didn’t. I do see book deals and large audiences. I do. You can read about all I see here.

When I was setting some goals for 2010, I prayed. I told God I was ready, ready to start writing my book, the book he called me write in elementary school. Although I didn't yet know the title, audience or content, I knew that this was the year. Many of you have asked. Yes, I’ve wanted to write a book for many years; I’m just not sure where to start… or even what to say for that matter. I think God is having me live it first.

I know writing a book is hard work. I know I could never even attempt to do it without God. I just didn’t know the process would begin like this.

Cancer. It’s such an ugly word. It’s an even uglier disease. Even in the midst of all its ugliness, I see God’s beauty. It’s funny how such a bad situation seems to unveil all that is holy and good in my life. Because of the cancer, I've gained instant perspective.

It’s now easier to pay attention to what’s really important in life. I can suddenly find more time to patiently listen to a child, quietly sit on the couch with my husband and take time from a hectic day to leisurely meet a friend for coffee. And then I ask this, “Is this perspective because of cancer or because of God?”

I look at the life of Jesus.

Isaiah 53 says He grew up a “scrubby plant in a parched field” and He was ordinary by all human standards. As He hung on the cross, He carried our sins, disfigurements and pains. “Still, it's what God had in mind all along, to crush him with pain. The plan was that he give himself as an offering for sin so that he'd see life come from it—life, life, and more life. 
And God's plan will deeply prosper through him.” Isaiah 53:10

That’s how I know God’s hand is all over my cancer. That’s how I know many good things will come of it. That’s how I know He’s still at work in me to produce the dreams He placed inside me long ago. He’s still at work to realize his good plan through His children. His plan will deeply prosper through all His children.

God is the same to His children yesterday, today and forever.

That’s how come I felt hope when I read Daniel 11 this week.

“…but those who stay courageously loyal to their God will take a strong stand…Those who keep their heads on straight will teach the crowds right from wrong by their example. They’ll be put to severe testing for a season… The testing will refine, cleanse, and purify those who keep their heads on straight and stay true, for there is still more to come. Daniel 11:32-33 & 35

To be continued...

12 comments:

Kimberly S. said...

You're already written your book, sweetie! All these blog posts have not been in vain. God has called me to something similar. I never thought of myself as a "writer" until last year, when the Holy Spirit opened my eyes to see that I've been journaling steadily since I was 13. I'm 38 now, so you can imagine that's a lot of journals! I've been writing my book the whole time and didn't even realize it. The Lord will show you! He gave me a concept and a metaphor and everything. Its not been easy to write it, but I've given myself a deadline of June to finish it...I'm still living a lot of it too. I was waiting for the ending, but I've come to realize that there isn't really an end, it's more like "to be continued". I will stand with you, to believe for the visions coming to pass that God has given you. Hold on!

GrandmaK said...

You are a wonderful teacher. You have a way of causing one to reflect on her life while you share your journey! For that I say, "Thanks be to God!" Cathy

Connie W said...

I just recently found your blog through a link from another. I get encouraged when I read your posts. Stay tough.

Kari said...

I am in awe of your writing, your faith, and your ability to face cancer head on. May God continue to grant you the peace and energy you need to carry on and to continue your journey. Thank you for sharing your words and your heart.

Denise said...

You are such an inspiration, love you sis.

Christie said...

You already know this, but you are living it out each day...God is glorified in ALL things.

We never know what our "story" is going to do in His plan or how someone will be affected by the things we don't even realize we say or do...but everything is for His glory!! When I finally grasped that concept everything became clearer...I understood why He allows things to take place in our life...good or bad. So that He can receive the glory from it.

Continue to praise Him through this time, knowing that He holds all things together!

Love,
Christie
http://satisfactionthroughchrist.blogspot.com

Andrea said...

AMEN...what a book..written by the hand of GOD through your heart and pen! HE speaks loudly through you!
Hugs,
andrea

Gretchen said...

More to come, indeed, Lisa. How full and rich those 3 words sound to me when I think of our Maker, and when I think of His work in and through you. I lurve, lurve, lurve the take you had on this week's chapter. How humbling it is for me to read, too. How inspiring for me to grasp hold, just as firmly to the Father as I see you holding Him. xxxooogretchen

Tyler said...

God bless you!

Loren said...

When I read your words and hear your heart I can't help but hear my Dad saying the very words you have shared here with us....It a surprising way Cancer can become a gift and it just is another way and proof that was the enemy meant as evil God CAN and DOES turn it into good! I will have to email what I have wanted you to read in regards to this very thing some day when I feel the release to do so!
You are a writer and I know the Lord will continue to see all HE has shown you to do HE will complete it in you my friend
Love you

Jen said...

Your journey has been an inspiration to me...who knew when I signed up for a Daniel safari so much would transpire?!

God knew. And He divinely put more women than ever in your path...for prayer, for love, for support.

Thank you for your transparency and your honesty. As always.

Much love, safari sister!

His Girl said...

*sigh* so glad there's so much more to come!