home about speaking she cares resources contact

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Last Week I Changed My Mind

Okay. So many different meanings are attached to that word. I say it a million times a day and mean something different each time.

Say it with a big smile and some enthusiasm and it means great. Say it with a deflated voice and downcast eyes and it means pitiful. Say it with confidence when you don’t want to offend somebody and it instantly takes on a double meaning.

It’s become a standard word that I use during this crisis. I’m doing okay is what I tell myself each day. I can tailor my mannerisms to communicate just the spot on the okay scale that I’m currently residing.

It’s become a standard word that all my family and loved ones use when talking about the future. It’ll be okay. I know they’re saying that I’ll get through this day and there will be more days and one day this will all be behind me. Okay.

It’s become a catch-phrase that I’ve hung my well-being on because I felt like God told me I would be okay. But sometime last week I realized okay had lost its spirited meaning and was actually doing more damage than good to my fragile heart. You see, I don’t want to be okay. I want to be great.

When I first started telling myself everything would be okay, I genuinely felt like things would be good. I could feel hope in those words. But somehow over the last few weeks and months, God’s promises became unattached to them.

My mind became filled with worry, anxiety and frustration and my heart soaked in fear and doubt. I decided I needed to change the thoughts I was thinking. So now instead of telling myself that it’s going to be okay, I choose to say, “Lord, I will trust You.”

I know you’re situation is different than mine but I’m sure you struggle with worry, fear and doubt from time to time too. Here are some of my favorite ways to combat anxiety and uncertainty. Maybe they’ll help you choose to trust Him too.

1.Take every thought captive. We have power over the thoughts we think.

“We use our powerful God-tools for smashing warped philosophies, tearing down barriers erected against the truth of God, fitting every loose thought and emotion and impulse into the structure of life shaped by Christ. Our tools are ready at hand for clearing the ground of every obstruction and building lives of obedience into maturity.” 2 Corinthians 10:5-6

2. Pray about everything. God cares about the details of our lives and by praying we are admitting things we cannot control or change but God can.

“Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.” Philippians 4:6-7

3. Remember God’s promises. Our own reasoning is faulty but God’s promises are perfect.

“Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he's the one who will keep you on track.” Proverbs 3:5-6

Now it's your turn. What are some ways you cope with a worry-filled heart? What are your favorite trust-promises?

8 comments:

Karen said...

Wonderful and encouraging and post.....no matter what crisis we are all facing....thanks so much......Karen

Denise said...

I can do all things through Christ whom strengthens me, and you can too dear sis. I love you.

Bernie said...

I pray and I reach out and lend a helping hand.....this always makes me feel better and increases my faith and trust in God.
Be well my friend, always in my heart and prayers.....:-) Hugs

Sandy at God Speaks Today said...

I always tell myself that

1. God promises to use every single thing for my good and for His glory

and

2. God's main purpose in my life is to conform me to His image and perfect my faith.

I love you, dear sister. I'm seriously going to plan a trip to see you. We need to stop talking about "what if" and just do it.

:)

Sandy

Donna said...

Thank you Lisa for another great and encouraging post! Thanks for reminding us of great tools to use to combat anxiety and worry. To me, the first point is sooo very important. Most of our worry and anxiety happens in our mind and it is crucial that we take every thought into captivity - the moment it tries to enter. Beth Moore has a great resource on this very thing called "Breaking Free" - not the bible study (although that is good too) but it is a book on scriptures for various things that we combat. My husband is teaching this right now in our Wed. Bible study. Your other two points - prayer and promises - are much needed as well. All three go hand in hand!

I was praying for a young lady yesterday at church and I reminded her that she was more than a conqueror. So Lisa, I want to remind you of the same. You are more than a conqueror through Christ Jesus! And you are going to be more than great! You are an overcomer!

Blessings to you Mighty Woman of God!

Lelia Chealey said...

Wow Lisa, I can't believe you're encouraging us. You are amazing.
Love you,
Lelia

Pleasant Drive said...

Lisa, I don't know you, but I know the Lord. I know that He is a Healer. I'm 26, and I just finished radiation for my 2nd bout with breast cancer. Let me assure you, it is NO big deal. I was terrified. It changed absolutely nothing about my lifestyle or my health. I grew to love those quiet moments on the table, and I'm feeling great. I literally had 0 side effects. God is near to those who call on Him to heal them. Please email me if you have any specific questions about anything involving breast cancer diagnosis or treatment. I admire you and your strength.

pondlindsey@gmail.com

Smelling Coffee said...

Hi Lisa~ I continue to pray for you and your family... and I relate to that battle between fear and faith, while wanting to be more than "ok".

Recently the Lord gave me some "keys" to escape the hold fear gets on me, and for the first time in my life, I'm willing the battle between fear and faith! They come from Romans 1:21 and Hebrews 12:1-2:

1. Praise God. Choose to praise His Name. If nothing else - just say "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus" until there is peace of heart and His presence feels near.

2. Thank God. Find little things to be thankful for, and rehearse them back to Him. As much as you can think of, say them out loud to Him.

3. Throw aside the weight (of the worry/fear) that so easily entangles. Imagine casting it off to the side and letting it go into the wide arms of Jesus.

4. Look back to the sweet face of Jesus, praise Him, thank Him, and continue the cycle as much as needed.

I have had the most miraculous release from fear since I've been doing these things.

Romans 1:21 (Amp) says:

“Because when they knew and recognized Him as God,they did not honor and glorify Him as God
or give Him thanks. But instead they became futile and godless in their thinking [with vain imaginations,Foolish reasonings, and Stupid speculations]and their senseless minds were darkened.”

May the Lord continue to strengthen you and your family as you walk this path with Him and through Him!!!

Jennifer