home about speaking she cares resources contact

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Crazy Bad Day





Have you ever had a day that went wrong? We had a day like that this weekend. Almost every second of the day was filled with dumb miscommunication, parenting opportunities (disciplining) and unmet expectations.

Last night, we put the kids to bed at 8:00, went to separate rooms of the house and then I took a sleeping pill and went to sleep. That is not how I wanted yesterday to end! Living this commuting life is hard for us.

I don’t know how others do it with dad working far away or out of town for days at a time. I told Andrew that spending time with him on the weekends and then trying not to be fussy during the week is like reading my Bible on Sunday and trying to remain close to God all week long. It just doesn’t work!

However, yesterday morning I did run my 5K. My family was there at the finish line and that was a moment for me. I did get some bluebonnet pictures. We did accept an offer on our house. And we have submitted one on a house in Conroe.

We continue to wait.

Because there will definitely be more to come.

“Be cheerful no matter what; pray all the time; thank God no matter what happens. This is the way God wants you who belong to Christ Jesus to live.” 1 Thessalonians 5:18

12 comments:

MommaMindy said...

I found you blog hopping and am enjoying getting to know you.

Your blog made me think back to the hard years when my husband traveled often for work, leaving me at home alone with six kids. I could write a book about the things that went wrong.

Instead of discouraging you, I will tell you what the Lord inspired us to do to help with the problem. On evenings when he was gone, he would call and we would use speaker phone to have a short family devotion. He would ask each kid how they did in school, chores, etc. They learned they would be accountable, even with the head of the house away. It just gave us all a little touch of the man we love and missed.

It is challenging, but I learned to really depend on the Lord. May this week be a blessing for you; may the Lord be your strength and your song. I will pray!

Meredith said...

I love y'all and miss y'all! And if it weren't for the bad days, the good ones wouldn't seem so good. Keep your head up and I'm praying for you!

Bernie said...

Sweetie, you sound a bit down tonight......it's okay you cannot be perfect all the time. Bad things happen to good people, both you and Andrew have so much going on right now, perhaps it is good to take time just to breathe and let go of whose right or whose wrong.....it is not as important to be right as it is to do the right thing and that is to be patient with each other, the children and to love each other through the rough times as well as the good ones.
Congratulations on your running the 5K, I think that is great.
Love you my friend, keeping you and your family in my heart and prayers.........:-) Hugs

Gretchen said...

BTW: congrats on the 5K! Holla!!!

Sarah Soon-to-be Langhoff said...

You are gorgeous - even after running a 5k! So sorry to hear you had a crazy bad day, but YOU ACCEPTED AN OFFER!! WAHOO!!

Gretchen said...

Sweet friend, I'm so sorry about your bad day. My husband has always traveled at least a bit during our marriage, & we moved to Seattle b/c we had a shot of seeing more of him. So I understand the urgency of your trying to relocate. Hang in there. I know the feeling of anticipating the arrival, having him home (never long enough), & then anticipating his departure. As far as the parenting misfires go...Give yourself grace. Chances are, the kids have already forgotten. And if they haven't? Well, ice cream is a good bribe. :) xxxooo

Anonymous said...

Thank you for being such an inspiration. I'm going to run my first 5k...I can only run .5 miles right now but that's just details right.

Denise said...

I love you sis, so proud of you.

Nana Jul said...

WOW...you ran the 5K?! That is awesome, and the bluebonnet pictures are GREAT!! Hold onto the good stuff, and let the ugly peel off. Let Jesus melt it away.
He's so good at that!
Love,
Julie

Queenmothermamaw said...

So sorry about the bad day. Only your faith will get you through and you know that. He always keeps His promises. He is the only one.
Blessings
QMM

Shannon said...

A life where you barely see your spouse is a tough one! After a while, it begins to get old and then it just becomes normal. So glad that yall accepted an offer on your home! SO EXCITING! Way to go on the 5k as well!

Moshelle said...

Feel your pain! Todd commutes over an hour each way to work. Well, usually about an hour, if the L.A. traffic cooperates. Most mornings he leaves at 6:00 am and doesn't get back until between 9:00and 10:00 pm. I don't understand it, but it's where God has us right now. And right now, HE is filling in the gaps left in Todd's absence. I also have an entirely new appreciation for my hard working husband!

Big hugs!