home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Qualified


Last year was a monumental year for me. Not only did I experience all the rekindling that comes with twenty-year reunions; but I also met some of the most wonderful friends I’ve ever had the opportunity to connect with through Proverbs 31 Ministries. The Lord has used these ladies to ignite the kindling in my soul into a burning flame.

I first heard about She Speaks a few years ago. At that time, God dropped a deposit of wistful dreaming and fragile hoping into my rapidly beating heart. Connection to ladies with similar hopes and dreams has set a firm belief in my heart that this conference may, indeed, be just for me. Hoping and dreaming with ladies who share my passion has not only been fun and encouraging; it has been life changing. I have loved having friends whose hearts also beat fast at the prospect of a conference dedicated to better equipping ladies to share personal stories of God’s redemption and grace and it has changed how I see things.

This week Lysa TerKeurst is hosting a scholarship contest where she will give away three Cecil Murphey scholarships for the conference. She Speaks offers a variety of training classes. Both experienced and novice writers, speakers and ministry leaders can benefit at She Speaks. Here is a summary of descriptions from Lysa's blog.

Speakers with all levels of experience will learn to develop a clear message, keep an audience engaged and deliver inspiration and motivation to an audience and increase number of booked speaking engagements.

Writers will learn how to go from blog to book, discover a unique writing voice, know what publishers want, publish magazine articles, write engaging stories and learn the basic mechanics of effective writing.

Women’s Ministry Leaders will learn how to build a team, cast a vision, distinguish God’s vision, celebrate milestones and keep team members inspired.

Last year was the first time I seriously even considered going to She Speaks. Although I have been familiar with the She Speaks conference for several years, I have never felt “qualified” to attend. I have always seen myself as unworthy to be among those “chosen” to have a fruitful ministry. I’ve really never even been sure anyone would ever be interested in what I have to say. My story is ordinary. It’s simply that of an average girl who loves an amazing God through many twists and turns of a life filled with the everyday. I realize just having a fast heartbeat or being friends with others who have growing ministries doesn’t give me credibility. You see, I’m not a published author or a highly sought after speaker. All I have is this crazy desire to share my completely ordinary story of God’s extraordinary love with others.

Yet, when I take this burning desire to the Lord, he reminds me that his economy is different. He qualifies those he sends and he sends all who are willing to go.

“Then I heard the Lord asking, “Whom should I send as a messenger to this people? Who will go for us?”

I said, “Here I am. Send me.”

And he said, “Yes, go…” Isaiah 6:8-9 NLT


Lord, here I am. Send me.

11 comments:

TRUTH SHARER said...

God has an amazing journey ahead for you, Lisa!
I am excited for you in all that God will do next!

You wrote:
"My story is ordinary. It’s simply that of an average girl who loves an amazing God through many twists and turns of a life filled with the everyday."

That's what makes YOUR story worth tellling and sharing! It'a all about GOD!

May He bless you abundantly!

{{Hugs}} Stephanie

Denise said...

Yes Lord, send sister Lisa.

Bernie said...

You are extraordinary my friend, wife, mother to 4 children with many other responsabilities... by putting God first always, allows you to speak and encourages us all to listen.......always in my heart and prayers.....:-) Hugs

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

You are amazing....

B His Girl said...

The Lord is always looking at our heart, not our resume. He is the one who is ALL THAT. Without Him we can do nothing. Go Tell...today. He is with you in power and strength. Love you, B

Cindy Bultema said...

Morning Lisa! :)
What a powerful post ~ thank you for sharing! :)
I was struck by your sentence...
"All I have is this crazy desire to share my completely ordinary story of God’s extraordinary love with others."
That is exactly why I was drawn to your blog months ago. Your heart for the Lord is so beautiful ~ and your passion to share His love and joy, plus your hope and faith is contagious!! :)
Yes Lord, send Lisa! :)
Blessings to you!
Cindy :)

P.S. I'm signed up for She Speaks this year (last year I chickened out ~ - lol!). I'll look forward to SEEING YOU THERE! :)

Renee Swope said...

Sweet friend, you are more than qualified!! And I have no doubt you are called! Each day you minister here on your blog and through your speaking to so many - giving hope and truth to any who will listen. Watching you minister in your brokenness - richly pouring out to others in the midst of cancer has been an incredible testimony of God's grace. You have one extraordinary message. I pray that God gets you to She Speaks this year!

Hugs,
Renee

Queenmothermamaw said...

Dear Lisa, For some reason I love my blog list and was able to retrieve some of it but am gradually finding out they are not all back. Yours was one of them. I just had to go back and write them all in again. Still praying thought that is on my written list. blessings
QMM

Wander said...

Lisa....winning this scholarship would be incredible (no matter who you are!).
I'm just passing on some encouragement. Reading the links from the contest has been such a blessing!
So many precious women of God all shooting for a chance to minister in His name! WOW!

Lots of great stories!

Andrea Frazer - Pass the Zoloft said...

Lisa, you are so real. I think that is really important. I also am reminded about what Paul says (the verse escapes me - I'm sorry) that people weren't saved in the name of Paul. They were saved through the name of Christ. Why do you need to worry about who you are on a human level? Like Paul, your popularity is not important. It's what God has to say. And if he chooses you, and you feel it stamped on your heart, then you go for it and make it happen. As a published TV and magazine writer, I can honestly say that so much crap out there is spin factor and nothing more than ego stroking. When it comes to a person of God - a good one... an authentic one... the truth is far more powerful than some shiny awards show. If you have truth to speak, it will get its time in the sun. In the Son I should say. Ahem. I mean, Amen.

xoxoxo

Andrea

Rose Ann Mitchell said...

My dearest daughter, I am so proud of you. There is no greater JOY than to know you are walking in truth. The Lord has given you a voice to show others the way to walk. This journey with She Speaks will be great fun. Love Mom