home about speaking she cares resources contact

Friday, March 05, 2010

Miracles and Waiting

Today I am waiting for that fateful call. The one where I get the pathology results from the tumor removed from my breast last week. The call that will tell me what type of cancer I have and what type of treatment I need.

Scary.

Looking forward to it with great anticipation.

Weird.

Will this call give me answers or just more questions?

Hmmmm.

Anyway, this afternoon I am leaving for an overnight retreat with the ladies from my church. Grace Bible Church. This is a wonderful church body for which I am very thankful. Grace is a church of extravagance. This ladies event will be decorated gorgeously with a lavish coffee bar complete with a chocolate fountain. Each lady will be pampered in an extravagant way. I am looking so forward to it; just sitting with this great body of women many of whom have prayed for and served me relentlessly for the last five weeks. I pray they are all refreshed tonight as well.

Let me share some other things Grace members, and mostly God, do well. We have some awesome elders who have deep and meaningful relationships with the Lord. The week before my surgery I asked the elders to anoint me with oil, lay hands on me and pray for my healing based on James 5:14-15

“Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up.”

We made an appointment for me to meet the entire board of elders on Wednesday morning at 8:00. They were meeting at 7:00 and I would meet with them for prayer at 8:00 at the end of their meeting. When I got my schedule of appointments at MDA for the pre-op and surgery stuff, my very first appointment was at 7:10 Wednesday morning. How awesome and peaceful it was to know that at the precise time I was beginning my surgical preparation, a group of men who have spiritual authority over us and lead us into God’s presence through prayer were gathered together calling on the Lord on our behalf.

We are so fortunate to worship in such a sweet place filled with believers who love the Lord so deeply and in such tangible ways.

Today I went to my primary care doctor here in College Station (with another family member). I love Dr. Wagner, Sandy and all the staff there. They are so very compassionate and care so much about what happens to our family. I told them we were waiting on results today. I even told them I was hoping it was taking so long because I wanted the report to come back saying, “Oops, we made a mistake; it’s not cancer!”

Dr. Wagner chuckled but I know he believes in miracles also. He expounds infinitely on the miracle of life when I ask him the quadjillion questions I always have during pregnancy. He also has been known to educate me on modern medicine saying that no matter how much we learn, life itself continues to remain a mystery of God. Now in my tumor's case, this would really be a miracle since two separate hospitals have confirmed the presence of carcinogens meaning cancer. Anyway, I responded, “Why can’t God have a miracle for me? Why not me?” I know the character of my God; he still works miracles today. We’ve seen many from the scheduled elder meeting coinciding with my first appointment to the surgery actually taking place last Friday, they are occurring by the fistfuls over here in my ordinary life!

Feeling a little foolish, I contemplated the day’s conversations. They’ve all gone something like that whether the person actually agreed with me or not, I feel like I am asking something so huge that it almost makes me foolish to even think it possible. Then I got this card, thanks, Teresa!

It said this, “Don’t wish for miracles; expect them.” K. D. Loveland

Isn’t that a beautiful quote?

Reminds me of this quote by Elizabeth, John the Baptist’s mother:

“Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished!” Luke 1:45

And this one by Jesus, Son of God:

“What is impossible with men is possible with God." Luke 18:27

I spoke with the wonderful and beautiful Lynn Grimes in Dr. Hunt’s office earlier today. She said the pathology report isn’t back yet but that’s a good thing since virtually nothing was known about my cancer, it might be next week before we have any results and we want them to be really thorough. She said she’d call when it comes in. STAT!

I also spoke with the complaints and appeals department at Scott and White Health Plan today. My hearing to get last week’s procedures covered in-network will be next Friday. Please pray for us as we continue to prepare to plead our case in the final formal appeals process at Scott and White.

I apologize for taking all.day.long to update you on this day o'waiting but my mother has been busy updating her own blog. For another perspective of what's going on, visit my "mother of miracles" as she was referred to yesterday.

And scroll down to my giveaway and leave a comment to enter to win a copy of "One Million Arrows." I'll announce the winner on Monday.

Have a wonderful Friday night and don’t stop believing!

21 comments:

Andrea said...

Thorough is great....I am expecting miracles, too!!

Sounds like you and I are a lot alike. I always just "want the answer" and then let me deal with it..good or bad. I had rather KNOW than not know. Have you noticed how GOD always makes folks like you and I wait just a bit longer.

Continuing to storm the heavens with you, sweet friend!!

Hugs,
andrea

Deborah said...

Dear Lisa, I thought of you this morning and I said a prayer for you today knowing you were probably getting your results. It's nice to know that people all over the world are praying for you and prayer is very powerful.
xxoo
Deborah

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Praying for you and believing with you....and have never met you...but love you..

Keleigh said...

Still in prayer for you, Lisa. I'm also in God's "Patience 101" class and am learning to be still and know that He is God.

Believing in miracles for both of us!

-Keleigh

Dave & Linda Roedel said...

Always with you, dear Lisa. Wish I could hug you and tell you everything will be just fine. I always wanted to do that for my counseling clients also. I do say and faithfully believe, that if we think it, believe it, wish for it, pray for it, hope for it, and most importantly deserve it, it can happen, not matter the obstacles in our way. I've quit worrying about you in a very special way! What that means is I now see, believe, and know that your prayer warriors and yourself have got it covered for you and we all will not stop fighting for you until we know God has delivered you 100% cancer free back to us. I cannot wait to hear on that day the message from you announcing it! Great Things are Headed your Way! Love you bunches and bunches,
Linda and Dave

Patty said...

God never fails. May He fill your heart with peace while you wait.

Bernie said...

I can only imagine how you are feeling.....I thought of your pathology report this morning and prayed it would be good. I think it is wonderful you are going on retreat....pure bliss, and to have the love, respect and prayer of the elders to me is beautiful. God Bless you sweetie, am keeping you and your family in my heart and prayers.......I find I am drawing strength from you through all of this.......:-) hugs

Bernie said...

Lisa, sorry to bother you but the link to "mother of miracles" isn't working........:-) Hugs

Queenmothermamaw said...

Hanging with you with the prayers.
QMM

Sandy at God Speaks Today said...

Waiting with you for results...I'll keep checking. In the mean time, enjoy your girl time.

I love you,
Sandy

Loren said...

Lisa,

So glad you are going to the retreat and being filled, refreshed, prayed over and pampered no doubt! The Lord knows just what you need and isn't just like HIM to have this planned for you on this day!!!

I am believing and waiting with great anticipation for that miracle my friend!

Anonymous said...

I'm inappropriate enough to ask for an update on your pelvis, too. Did I miss the explanation of what they thought they saw? I can wait a week, if I have the possibility that that other thing wasn't real. I do have the ability to bargain my way through this, right?

Love you, and all those praying for you and yours.

Dianna

Lelia Chealey said...

Be still and know that I am God...

Love you Lisa!!!
Praying for you. Never give up, for He is worth all of this!
Keep reminding Him of His own history...He is always the Victorious One! :)
love you,
Lelia

B His Girl said...

Lisa how wonderful to retreat with women of faith. Hope you enjoy your time with them. Praying for your waiting time and for a miracle. hugs, b

Cindy (Letters From Midlife) said...

Anything God did in scripture still holds true for us today. He healed, even to the point of raising people from the dead. I agree...expect a miracle, don't just wish for one. It's advice I need to take to heart myself!

sonja said...

What a wonderful way to spend this weekend!
When I was 12, I had a serious case of spinal memingitis. Our church pastor and elders came and annointed me with oil too, and prayed. My dad was in the Orient preaching, and praying over there with a group of missionaries and church people. Between the oil and the prayers, God answered, and He is in the midst of answering your prayers too.

Waiting and praying with you...

Sonja

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I have developed a new clean web 2.0 wordpress theme.

Has 2 colours silver and blue, has custom header(colour or image).
I am curently working on it, so if you have suggestions let me know.

You can view live demo and download from here www.getbelle.com
If you found bug reports or you have suggestions pm me.
Wish you a happing using.

many thanks to [url=http://www.usainstantpayday.com/]USAInstantPayDay.com[/url] for paying the hosting and developement of the theme

lyslereoriecy

Melanie Redd said...

Hey Lisa,

Saw on your post that you were in "waiting" mode. I just wanted to let you know that I am praying for you this weekend.

May God fill you with His amazing and unbelievable peace no matter what the test results indicate!

Blessings,
Melanie

Laura said...

I can't imagine how hard waiting on such news must be. You are such a grace-filled example, Lisa.

Praying, praying, praying!

Jen said...

Lisa, continuing to pray as you wait on your results. I know God has some big plans - and some big miracles -- in place for you!! xoxo

Denise said...

Praying non-stop.