home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

In Courage

When we make an effort to sit with God, he never, never disappoints! God showed up here this morning in a big way. I can’t wait to tell you all about it but for now I just have time to tell you part about it.

Last weekend, I received prayer from a group of people and I felt my faith strengthening. It was like I could feel it growing inside my heart. It just got bigger and bigger by these sweet brothers’ and sisters’ words and tears and love and belief. I felt the Lord whispering to my heart that it is time to stop clinging to his promises for dear life and start waving them like a banner.

When I think of clinging, my prayers sound something like this, “God, you said I would be okay. Remember your promises to me. I need you to answer. You said I would be okay.” And I think that’s a pretty immature prayer. Necessary sometimes because it’s truthful but there also comes a time when we need to grow up and move forward.

Waving banners remind me of strong prayers. “God, you said I would be okay. Please do what you said because you are a God who keeps your word. Do this for your sake and your people. God, so many of them are praying for me. Don’t let them down. Show them who you are. I love you, Lord. I believe you, Lord. I trust you, Lord.” Maybe the waving banner prayers even sound a little more like a battlecry at times.

Anyway, today a precious friend who emails me a Psalm she prays for me each day emailed me Psalm 60.

“You have given a banner to those who fear You, That it may be displayed because of the truth.” Psalm 60:4 (NASB)

When I received her email, I just happened to be sitting with my Bible. The word “banner” intrigued me so I promptly went to The Message.

“Then you planted a flag to rally your people, an unfurled flag to look to for courage.”

I think an unfurled flag is a beautiful example of waving a banner. And to think, the Lord was simply instructing me how to gain courage in all this uncertainty. Isn’t He good?

If we are feeling a little afraid, we just need to unfurl our flags and wave his promises like a banner before his people. Then courage is ours for the taking.

I think I’ll grab a little of that today!

“Then you planted a flag to rally your people, an unfurled flag to look to for courage. Now do something quickly, answer right now, so the one you love best is saved.” Psalm 60:4-5 The Message

In Courage,

9 comments:

Andrea said...

AMEN, sweet friend! Waving a flag with you, andrea

PS: Continuing to storm the heavens on your behalf.

Andrea said...

Amen, waving with you!

Gigi said...

LOVE this post!!! Taking up my banner and waving for all I'm worth on your behalf! He IS faithful!!!

Bernie said...

You have a wonderful day my friend and Lisa thank you for being a wonderful lady with an attitude of gratitude....always in my heart and prayers.......:-) Hugs

HIS daughter said...

Thank you so so so so so much for sharing this! I have been struggling with some things lately and just this reminder to BOLDLY WAVE HIS PROMISES! Wow! God is so good!
Praying for you...
Katy

Denise said...

Keep waving your flag sweet sis, love you.

GWENDOLYN said...

Hello,
I have come by way of Sonja's blog "bits and pieces".
Great devotion and prayer.... wave your banner high.
Blessings!
Gwen

Mary Nelson said...

Lovin' being your precious friend. Humbled to be in your blog today. :)

Deborah said...

Dear Lisa: I am waving the banner for you also and simply keeping you in my prayers. Thank you for praying for Penny also.
xxoo
Deborah