home about speaking she cares resources contact

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Grace Rhythms

For the last few months, I’ve been contemplating a grace-phrase found in one of my favorite passages in The Message. I think it was this phrase that actually sparked my desire to read through this version of the Bible this year. Matthew 11:28-30 in The Message states this:

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

I love many of the phrases found here but my mind has been wrapped around learning “the unforced rhythms of grace.”

I have been asking God for quite some time what unforced rhythms of grace look like, sound like, feel like. Wouldn’t you like to know? Do you?

Imagine my surprise when I received a postcard in the mail advertising a retreat I go on each year with this exact verse as its theme this year.

Then yesterday I received an email with 2 Corinthians 4:16 in it. Remember, we talked about “unfolding grace” yesterday? If you read the whole chapter, you’ll see unfolding grace in “clay pots” or ordinary people. Ordinary. People.

Hold that thought.

In Matthew 11:25-26 Jesus says that God reveals clearly His ways to “ordinary people.” Jesus even follows that with, “Yes, Father that’s the way you like to work.” (v.26)

Ordinary. People.

Ordinary people who possess unfolding grace. Ordinary people who are learning unforced rhythms of grace.

Let me explain how ordinary I am. When I hear of unfolding grace, I naturally think of laundry. Every.single.day I do several loads of laundry. I wash clothes, I fold them and I put them away until I need them. At which point, I unfold them and use them.

So unfolding grace, to me, means using or preparing to use or wear. I want unfolding grace as part of my outfit each day. I want unfolded grace to be something I use each morning.

Ordinary. People.

Encouraged yet?

Let’s talk about unforced rhythms. Unforced rhythms probably flow freely like an involuntary foot-tap to a really catchy song.

Of the ordinary, I’m the most. I know many of you can identify.

Wouldn’t you like to see a collective foot-tapping among all your fellow ordinaries to the beautiful, melodious unforced rhythms of our God’s great and amazing grace in our lives?

I’ll be looking and listening for it.


6 comments:

Bernie said...

Hi Lisa, you sound wonderful and I found this post very relevant to me and my heart tonight, you have uplifted me when it is I who should be uplifting you. Thank you for sharing this. You are one amazing woman. Be well my young friend, keeping you and your family in my heart and prayers always......:-) Hugs

Alleluiabelle said...

I love you so very much my sweet and precious friend. You have such a beautiful heart and spirit...I'm so very glad God has put all of us together. You always seem to make a gray day for me a bright one when I leave here despite what you are going through. Your faith and love are so very strong...I admire that so in you...you bring out the best in me with your love for the Lord and what He continues to do in your life and what you continue to do for Him on this earth. He is so divinely beautiful and I love Him so much!

My prayers are with you always dear one...always...and you remain ever so present in my mind and heart. I'm praying for greater and greater and greater news to come your way. You are very blessed...I am very blessed in knowing you through your blog site.

{{Big Hugs}}
Alleluiabelle

Wilhelmine Mitchell said...

Happy Sunday.

Denise said...

Looking and listening with you sweetie. I love you.

Queenmothermamaw said...

You are indeed a WOW woman. I am so pleased God put you in my unfolding grace rhythm. Blessing
QMM

Melanie said...

What a great word you have shared.
I needed it.
Love,
Melanie