home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Daniel...In Part

I may be a little late this week but I haven't forgotten and I surely haven't given up on Daniel. My jeep is just running a little behind the crowd on this leg of the safari. There was lots to view out my window this past week and I had to stop to take lots of pictures. (To keep up with the crowd and their sights, just click on the picture above.)

We are now entering into that brainy prophetic part of Daniel that I found scary enough to almost not join this study. Boy, am I super glad I didn’t run from all this monster and end-of-the-world talk. Just look what all I would’ve missed out on! And, I should’ve known all us bloggy chicks feel the same way about Daniel’s prophetic dreams; I mean, even Daniel was terrified by what he saw! (Daniel 7:28)

I certainly am still stuck in an I’ll-just-have-to-take-your-word-for-it-biblical-scholars mindset when it comes to all the brainy prophetic parts of Daniel. But, I do identify with the whole not-exactly-understanding-what-God-is-showing-me mindset that Daniel had when he had this dream.

I was strangely and amazingly encouraged by the fact that I could ponder this dream for years and still know probably as much as I do today about it. I mean, if Daniel, a perfect specimen of one of God’s chosen people, could be somewhat confused, I’m doing okay to “know in part.”

My mind camped on this verse this week:
We don't yet see things clearly. We're squinting in a fog, peering through a mist. But it won't be long before the weather clears and the sun shines bright! We'll see it all then, see it all as clearly as God sees us, knowing him directly just as he knows us! 1 Corinthians 13:12 (The Message)

I feel certain verses tug at my heart for unknown reasons, feel an uneasiness deep in my spirit and just plain miss God altogether from time to time. But one thing I want to make a habit is this. I want to experience less and less times of questioning and more and more times of hearing. I want to the "part" that I know to become larger and larger. And, I know the best way to hear God more and better is to practice.

From cruising around looking at the sights on our safari this week, it seems we all feel strangely and amazingly encouraged to study and to seek to know more. Specifically, I am feeling renewed passion to seek to know God more and to know more of God.

In the world of cancer, knowledge is power. In a matter of days, I became an expert on sarcoma cancer. I read medical studies, researched doctors, studied sarcoma centers and googled at least a million four-plus-syllable words that up until now I never thought I’d have to say. I’ve learned that if I want the best care, the best treatment and the best doctors treating me, I’ve got to learn who they are, what they do and how they do it. Then if I don’t insist on being treated by the best, odds are I won’t get the best. And, unless I take the time to research the best, I won’t even know the best treatment. And I definitely want the best. I have to have the best shot at beating cancer. I need to be completely cured.

(Going off on a tangent here…

When I was at MD Anderson preparing for surgery, I met with an anesthesiologist. He took a look at my medical history and commented that I had checked “no” to everything.

I chuckled and said, “Nothing is wrong with me. Except I have cancer.”

His reply, “That’s great news because we cure that here!”

Now, that’s the place I want to be treated, for sure!)

God’s ways are like that too. I have to take time to get to know The Best. I have to learn the best way to do things. I have to be familiar with His promises so that I know how to recognize the best. If I am unacquainted with God’s character and His ways, the odds are I will settle unknowingly for something less.

It reminds me of this post. How can people exchange worshiping God for worshiping gods without even knowing it? It blows my mind and yet, I am guilty of the terrible exchanging of truth for lies all.the.time.

That is why, I must keep the truth ever before me. I never want to forget. Ever.

“But be vigilant, lest you be seduced away and end up serving and worshiping other gods” Deuteronomy 11:16


9 comments:

Tiffani said...

oh, Lisa.

the mere fact that you can continue a study after/before major surgery and all the "stuff" you've been handed is enough to make me stop my grumbling and continue on...

I've been steady praying for you, darlin', is this study timely or what?!

Excited to see what God has next on your journey and on ours together in this safari!

sonja said...

Lisa my friend... that is one POWERFUL word tonight! Oh it resonates so clearly with me, all that you mentioned. Isn't it the greatest comfort that HE knows that we desire more... more of really knowing Him, and He is the very one that is going to supply that need, all the way.

Loved this... praying daily.

Sonja

Gretchen said...

Your strength and wisdom sharpens my faith more than you know. Such good reminders to keep truth right in our faces. Our fingers right in the Word, tracing each verse.

And, I lurve that you call me "Gretch". Haven't heard that in a long time.

Gretchen said...

P.S. and BTW, always praying as you come to mind--which is often. xxxooo

Jen said...

You amaze me. Less than a week ago you have surgery and then you turn around and don't miss a beat in our Bible study! Go, Lisa!!

Thank you for your perseverance! And your courage, your beauty, and your love.

I love you, sister!

Denise said...

Awesome word sis.

Donna said...

Lisa, that was simply beautiful and plenty powerful! You always have great insight and relay that to us so well. I am amazed with the other girls that you can continue the bible study right after major surgery. You have some strength within you that runs deep. I always anticipate hearing what God does next in this journey you are on. Know that you are continually in our prayers.

Blessings to you and your family!

His Girl said...

I certainly am still stuck in an I’ll-just-have-to-take-your-word-for-it-biblical-scholars mindset when it comes to all the brainy prophetic parts of Daniel.

me too, sis!

But I love how you're pressing on, and I'm so proud of how you are willing to look for Jesus around every corner.

I can't even believe you didn't drop out of the study. None of us has an excuse if you don't.

such and encouragement for me... thanks, sis.

xoxo
see you in a FEW DAYS

Denise said...

I love this study.