home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

The Tube

*******UPDATE*******My insurance carrier, Scott & White Health Plan in Temple, has agreed to shorten the normal 30 day process to two weeks. We have requested Dr. Rodriguez to call and explain that this is an urgent situation and this decision must be made immediately. Please pray for favor. Dr. Rodriguez is calling the health care director in the morning.*******

Today I am going to share with you some of the ways God has shown his great love to me. I firmly believe every single event in my life has led me to this point, both the blessings and the struggles. God is using all of it for his great glory.

I had an MRI of my liver this morning (which Dr. Trent recommended due to a 3mm lesion seen on my CT scan). The techs in Scott & White radiology are amazing. All of the women who work in ultrasound, mammography, CT, MRI and those involved in my needle biopsy have been amazing, encouraging and just wonderful! The people I get to meet are truly a highlight of this ordeal. I also want to publicly thank my primary caregiver, Dr. Tom Wagner. Many of you who live here know him. He and his nurse, Sandy, have been a tremendous help and tireless advocate during this process. I am so thankful for the gentle care and quick expedition of all tests and scans by him and his amazing staff. If you know him and see him, please thank him for taking such good care of me. The battle has not been with the Scott & White health care professionals but with the Scott & White Health Plan.

As Delphia, the radiology tech, placed the headphones over my ears to wheel me into the tube, I joked with her, “I like love songs!” She responded, “Honey, my sweet voice is full of love for you.”

I heard my God say this, “I am the LORD your God I am with you,
I am mighty to save.
I will take great delight in you,
I will quiet you with his love,
I will rejoice over you with singing."
Zephaniah 3:17

I’m not really that claustrophobic so I wasn’t really scared of the big MRI tube. It’s more like being able to lie still on this skinny board knowing you can’t move. Kinda like laughing in church. I was wiggly for a bit but once I got situated on the board I actually kept falling asleep while His love songs resonated over me in that hollow tube.

************Update*************
Let me explain some things.
I have been diagnosed with sarcoma of the breast. It is not breast cancer. It is a soft tissue cancer that just so happens to be located in the breast. Sarcoma is exceedingly rare in the breast. Less than 5% of sarcoma patients have sarcoma located in the breast. Only four cancer institutions in the United States treat sarcoma of the breast, specifically. I am very blessed because I live so close to one of these institutions, MD Anderson in Houston.

My insurance has approved me to receive 50% of my treatment covered there. MDA only accepts insurance with 60% coverage. This is their way of saying yes…but no. We have started an appeal with Scott & White Health Plan and the progress today is that we have an advocate taking this before their board within the hour! I will let you know as soon as anything changes. Thank you for your prayers and actions that have led to this favor!

I am completing the process of applying as a self paid patient to MDA. All that I can do as a self paid patient is have one visit for review of records and an opinion. Please pray the right doctor will see me at the right time and we will fight the right fight to receive the best treatment in the world.

I am also looking into some natural treatments in conjunction with the medical treatments. As I am leaving others in charge of sifting through my possibilities, I don’t know much information in this area. I will keep you posted as decisions are made or prayer is needed.

Any other questions?

14 comments:

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

Praying for you...
I had to chuckle...oh how many times I have tried to balance myself, which is not as small as you on that little piece of wood for those scans. Lay still. Uh, love to, if half of me wasn't falling off!
Some of the humor of having cancer...doens't even begin to balance out all the other stuff!!
Hang in girlfriend...

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

Lisa..me again...I have a blog concerning my walk with cancer. If that would interest you...it is fairly new...it is My Walk with Teal...you can find it on the top of my other blog.

Andrea said...

Continuing to pray with you. There is an advocacy group in Virginia that represents people from all states with the same type of Insurance issues. I wish I could remember the name, but maybe someone else will know or can figure it out.

Blessings, andrea

Jen said...

Praying for you :)

Denise said...

Prayers continue to be said on your behalf sis.

TRUTH SHARER said...

Yes, one more question...

Did that overwhelming STRENGTH I just heard in this post come today from the LORD or has it been there all along?!!!!

When you have days that overwhelm you because of your circumstances - keep asking Him to give you HIS STRENGTH! It sure showed up today Sweet one! Bless you!

I've been praying so much and resting that you are in the best care - that of the Great Physician! May His Healing and Anointing come over your body, soul and spirit to keep you in His perfect peace! [Isaiah 26:3 KJV]

Remember - He will do what brings Him the greater glory! Rest in knowing that!

Hugs, Stephanie
JESUS ONLY in 2010

Bryan and Elise said...

I love Zephaniah 3:17 - it was one of the verses the Lord gave me when going through my rough time. You are amazing and I am praying that God would open the doors for you to receive the BEST treatment! I love you!

Bernie said...

Things sound a bit more promising today and I am praying they will find a way to cover the other 10%.
This journey is a challenge I know but I am so proud of you and your beautiful attitude, always in my heart and prayers.....:-) Hugs

Loren said...

Praying Favor, Strength, and Peace over all of these requests Lisa! In the Throne room with Great Expectation for all HE will do on your behalf!



IN HIM

B His Girl said...

You are on my heart girl. Praying for the perfect plan of treatment to get this behind you. Lord please open doors needed for this to happen for sweet Lisa. We love her! B

Anita said...

My continued prayers for you.
Thank you for taking time to tell us about your situation. It may be helpful to you, but it also helps me and others as we go through our struggles, all trying to understand life and God's plan. Keep trusting Him.

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

Praying sweet Lisa.

Alleluiabelle said...

Sweet Lisa,

I'm still praying for you, with you and with so many here.

Lord we praise your holy name on high. We look to you again this night for your divine intervention and for doors to open wide tomorrow as Dr. Rodriguez speaks with the health care director...Yes, open wide the doors in so many areas on her precious behalf in Jesus name I pray. Amen.

I love you dear one,
Alleluiabelle

Bev Brandon said...

Lisa, I got my whole team of about 11 oncologists set up and we were moving forward until January 1---Humana dropped Texas Oncology for the state. You never know! I'm in the process of finding all new oncologists. Your post makes me want to drive to SA you so honored your docs. I'd do it for a good doctor. Smile!. All this to say that no matter what happens and I've had a few unexpected dilemmas on my cancer journey, my issue is finding intimacy with HIM not solving my problems of lack of wealth and health. You exude His Glory---praying your body will have that Exuberant Health.