home about speaking she cares resources contact

Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Next Step

So many of you are wondering, what is the next step here? Well, surgery went very well. Dr. Hunt removed a golf ball sized tumor with one inch clear margins all the way around and two sentinel nodes that initially tested benign. That is all great news!

We are awaiting the news from the final pathology of the tumor which we should receive Friday. This will tell us what type of cancer we are dealing with, what subtype and hopefully when combined with all the other tests I've taken so far will also tell us what stage. At this point, we should be able to formulate an effective treatment plan.

There are some simple facts to keep in mind. Scott and White has not agreed to pay for any more testing or treatment at this point. We will see what Dr. Hunt and her team's final diagnosis is for my type of cancer. We still do not know how closely it will match my preliminary diagnosis of sarcoma from Scott and White. We do not know what type of further treatment will be necessary to totally beat this cancer and live a very long and cancer free life.

In answer to your questions of how does this work from here...I really don't know. The cost incurred that we will have to pay out-of-pocket really depends on what type of treatment is determined necessary and whether or not Scott and White offers it or approves any coverage at all, in or out of network. So, the reality is we still have tons of questions.

We have just decided that we will not ask them yet. Tonight and this week we are celebrating a very successful surgery, loving on our children, family and friends. And just plain ole gettin' better. I want to be as healthy as possible so that I can continue on a course of effective treatment as soon as possible. After all, I've got a marathon to run this fall!

Keep on fighting the good fight, y'all! I am so thankful y'all are fighting with me!
"Run hard and fast in the faith. Seize the eternal life, the life you were called to, the life you so fervently embraced in the presence of so many witnesses." 1 Timothy 6:12

PS For a complete understanding of the insurance battle we are currently fighting, please view the cartoon video in the post below.


17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are home and doing well. God has really answered so many prayers for you in the last few weeks, and I'm so glad you have let us share in the journey. What a witness you are for others facing similar issues! Enjoy your time with your kiddos. I'm sure they've missed you. We'll keep praying for "The Next Step", and beyond.

Hugs!
Cathy Trimble

Gretchen said...

May He bless you and keep you as you recuperate and rest. The other stuff will eventually work out. I'm just so thrilled for you that we're "talking" to each other AFTER your tumor was removed. YAY!!!!!!!!!

Bernie said...

Lisa you sound wonderful, and honey it doesn't matter what step you are at I am going to continue to pray for all of you.

I think the news so far has been fabulous and am so glad they have removed that tumor....I just wanted it out of your body.

Enjoy this week with your children, rest in God's hands as you heal from the surgery and know that we are all praying for you always.......:-) Hugs

Denise said...

God is going to continue to be with you, and bless you sis. I love you.

nancygrayce said...

I'm so glad you're home recuperating with your family.

Smelling Coffee said...

Thanking God that you are home and focused on recovering and enjoying your family. Praying for the insurance situation. (Great cartoon, btw!) I'll keep checking back for updates and praying...

jennifer

Laura said...

Oh, I celebrate with you, Lisa! Yay for a successful surgery! We will double our efforts on prayers for good test results, payment, etc.

I'm sending you some love!

Laura

TRUTH SHARER said...

Aren't we glad that GOD is in control of all of this! I have to say that was a pretty cool video!

Blessings as you move ahead while we are all praying for you continually!

Choosing JOY, Stephanie

Keleigh said...

AWESOME, Lisa! I've been praying for you, and I'm so glad to hear the surgery was so successful!

Debbie said...

So glad to hear it all went well and you are at home with family to get re-coop and get strong...Will continue to pray...Blessings, Debbie

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

Glad you are doing so well.
I just can't even imagine this insurance battle you are going through. We battle every time I have a CT or PET scan. My treatments though have been covered thank the Lord.
Get your strength back and enjoy your time with your family...

Christy said...

Praying for your rest and peace. God is so good and will continue to be good. Much love, Christy

Christy said...

Praying for your rest and peace. Much love from the Simmons.

Deborah said...

Hi Lisa, I am praying that your visit on Friday goes well. I watched your video and it is amazing what you are going through. As you know, my sister-in-law has tongue & tonsil cancer and 1/2 her tongue was removed, her hospital neighbor in the next bed had her full tongue and voice box removed...do you know that insurance company WOULD NOT send her to rehab because she was "NOT SICK" enough. This poor women lives in Maine with next to no good health care to take care of her incase of emergency. The dr. ended up keeping her longer in the hospital. Can you believe that. Penny got to go to rehab for 7 days. Some Insurance companies are horrible and the patient is the last things on their minds.
God Bless, Deborah

Lora said...

Rejoicing in your successful surgery and benign results. Your attitude is inspiring. I have a friend who is fighting the payment battles with her cancer too. I love you and continue to pray for you.

Lora said...

Rejoicing in your successful surgery and benign results. Your attitude is inspiring. I have a friend who is fighting the payment battles with her cancer too. I love you and continue to pray for you.

Shanda said...

I have been praising God together with you for a successful surgery!! I will continue to be standing in the gap on continued treatment. No doubt many of us are.

Much love to you. Rest - physically and in Him. His love and favor shine through you!