So much to say so I think in order to get this information to you quickly, I will just relay the facts and save most of my other impressions and emotional reactions from the day for later. Okay?
First things first. The brilliant Dr. Hunt said that my cancer could potentially be one of three scenarios. It could be sarcoma, the type my doctors here diagnosed.
It could be sarcoma, a rarer variety that responds to chemo/radiation or both.
It could be a form of breast cancer. A rarer carcinoma mimicking a sarcoma.
The treatments will begin as follows:
The treatments will begin as follows:
I am scheduling another mammogram and ultra sound for either tomorrow or next week at MDA. The doctor wants one that explores the lymph nodes a little more in depth before the surgery. S&WHP has approved this already as of this afternoon!!!!!
I will be scheduled for surgery to excise the tumor, surrounding tissues and sentinel lymph nodes in two weeks if insurance approves that quickly.
The greatest news to me about this wide local excision to remove the cancerous tumor is this: Dr. Hunt is pretty certain she can save my breast!!!!! Isn’t this great news??? She will remove the diseased area because she needs a larger biopsy sample to determine the exact type, subtype and stage of cancer but because my tumor is so small, a biopsy wouldn’t be beneficial. In my case, excision is the best choice.
Preliminarily she believes the cancer is confined to the breast!
If the tissue samples and lymph nodes are cancer free:
And the cancer is a sarcoma that does not respond to chemo or radiation, I would heal from surgery and be cancer free.
If it is a rarer sarcoma, I will have the surgery and undergo chemo/radiation or both.
If it is a rare carcinoma, I will then proceed with the common form of breast cancer treatment. Mastectomy, chemo, radiation, reconstruction.
If the tissues or lymph nodes are infected with cancer, things change dramatically.
Some other good things are that the tumor is in a favorable location. It is mobile and has good healthy tissue margins around it. It is very small. My breast can be saved! The insurance has already approved the testing necessary for diagnosis.
We are praying that insurance would approve the surgery quickly and we would have an answer as soon as early next week. The letter by Dr. Hunt was drafted and faxed to the S&WHP today and they have 48 hours to respond. So on Tuesday or Wednesday, be ready to see if we give you another call to action to speed up their decision making process again. Let’s pray they make a decision in our favor as quickly as they have about these tests! I am hopeful they will approve the surgery due to the fact Dr. Hunt can save the breast and the surgeons I met with here locally could not.
After the surgery, it will take one week to get results of the biopsies. So as you can tell, I am ready to get some answers. Two weeks is the earliest date Dr. Hunt’s schedule allows for the surgery.
Overall, we feel we are in capable hands and are encouraged that the breast will be saved for now. Dr. Hunt said she would not give us any statistics, medical names of her hypotheses or information that would make us crazy with worry. I heard her say to take God’s advice and quietly wait and enjoy each moment until she has the facts necessary to give us a formal diagnosis and treatment.
I received over 50 texts, emails and messages from you. As I sat and waited in the car, in the hospital and on the way home, I rested in your great love for me, which is a reflection of His. You and your glad chatter are such a blessing to me!
“Then those whose lives honored God got together and talked it over. God saw what they were doing and listened in. A book was opened in God's presence and minutes were taken of the meeting, with the names of the God-fearers written down, all the names of those who honored God's name…The sun of righteousness will dawn on those who honor my name, healing radiating from its wings. You will be bursting with energy, like colts frisky and frolicking. And you'll tromp on the wicked. They'll be nothing but ashes under your feet on that Day." God-of-the-Angel-Armies says so. Malachi 3:16 & Malachi 4:2 The Message