home about speaking she cares resources contact

Thursday, February 11, 2010

MD Anderson Cancer Center Update

So much to say so I think in order to get this information to you quickly, I will just relay the facts and save most of my other impressions and emotional reactions from the day for later. Okay?

First things first. The brilliant Dr. Hunt said that my cancer could potentially be one of three scenarios. It could be sarcoma, the type my doctors here diagnosed.

It could be sarcoma, a rarer variety that responds to chemo/radiation or both.

It could be a form of breast cancer. A rarer carcinoma mimicking a sarcoma.

The treatments will begin as follows:

I am scheduling another mammogram and ultra sound for either tomorrow or next week at MDA. The doctor wants one that explores the lymph nodes a little more in depth before the surgery. S&WHP has approved this already as of this afternoon!!!!!

I will be scheduled for surgery to excise the tumor, surrounding tissues and sentinel lymph nodes in two weeks if insurance approves that quickly.

The greatest news to me about this wide local excision to remove the cancerous tumor is this: Dr. Hunt is pretty certain she can save my breast!!!!! Isn’t this great news??? She will remove the diseased area because she needs a larger biopsy sample to determine the exact type, subtype and stage of cancer but because my tumor is so small, a biopsy wouldn’t be beneficial. In my case, excision is the best choice.

Preliminarily she believes the cancer is confined to the breast!

If the tissue samples and lymph nodes are cancer free:

And the cancer is a sarcoma that does not respond to chemo or radiation, I would heal from surgery and be cancer free.

If it is a rarer sarcoma, I will have the surgery and undergo chemo/radiation or both.

If it is a rare carcinoma, I will then proceed with the common form of breast cancer treatment. Mastectomy, chemo, radiation, reconstruction.

If the tissues or lymph nodes are infected with cancer, things change dramatically.

Some other good things are that the tumor is in a favorable location. It is mobile and has good healthy tissue margins around it. It is very small. My breast can be saved! The insurance has already approved the testing necessary for diagnosis.

We are praying that insurance would approve the surgery quickly and we would have an answer as soon as early next week. The letter by Dr. Hunt was drafted and faxed to the S&WHP today and they have 48 hours to respond. So on Tuesday or Wednesday, be ready to see if we give you another call to action to speed up their decision making process again. Let’s pray they make a decision in our favor as quickly as they have about these tests! I am hopeful they will approve the surgery due to the fact Dr. Hunt can save the breast and the surgeons I met with here locally could not.

After the surgery, it will take one week to get results of the biopsies. So as you can tell, I am ready to get some answers. Two weeks is the earliest date Dr. Hunt’s schedule allows for the surgery.

Overall, we feel we are in capable hands and are encouraged that the breast will be saved for now. Dr. Hunt said she would not give us any statistics, medical names of her hypotheses or information that would make us crazy with worry. I heard her say to take God’s advice and quietly wait and enjoy each moment until she has the facts necessary to give us a formal diagnosis and treatment.

I received over 50 texts, emails and messages from you. As I sat and waited in the car, in the hospital and on the way home, I rested in your great love for me, which is a reflection of His. You and your glad chatter are such a blessing to me!

“Then those whose lives honored God got together and talked it over. God saw what they were doing and listened in. A book was opened in God's presence and minutes were taken of the meeting, with the names of the God-fearers written down, all the names of those who honored God's name…The sun of righteousness will dawn on those who honor my name, healing radiating from its wings. You will be bursting with energy, like colts frisky and frolicking. And you'll tromp on the wicked. They'll be nothing but ashes under your feet on that Day." God-of-the-Angel-Armies says so. Malachi 3:16 & Malachi 4:2 The Message


32 comments:

Queenmothermamaw said...

Lisa God has blessed me and led me to your blog. I am in good health at 72 but if ever I get sick I will have you to thank for your example of calmness and serenity in knowing God is with you. Blessing to you and family.
QMM

Shanda said...

Praying, praying, praying! Isn't it comforting to know that the God who created and loves you already knows the answers to all of the "unknowns?"

I pray that things will continue on smoothly with your insurance company and that you will get great results very soon!! I am praising Him for how He has and is continuing to work in and through all of this and how you are honoring Him through it all.

I know we aren't quite there in our Safari yet, but I couldn't help but think of this verse: "Since the first day that you set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before God, your words were heard and I have come in response to them." Daniel 10:12 It goes on to talk about how God's angel was detained by Spiritual warfare but that God was continually active from that first day and moment that Daniel prayed...one of the things that I have been praying is that God would be allowing His army to be strengthened through the prayers of His people on your behalf and that your process of healing will be able to move on quickly!

Much love to you sweet sister!

Growin' with it! said...

great and mighty is HE! rejoicing at this news and looking for more ways that the Lord will show His glory and love for you Lisa!

Nana Jul said...

It sounds like you are in the right hands, God knows what he's doing!! Rest and enjoy while you're waiting, sounds like great advise. Rest in HIM!!
We are all praying!!
He's got you covered!
Love,
Julie

nancygrayce said...

Answered prayers all around! Praising God for this news and praying for the days to come!

fred said...

Lisa..this is a great report....Renee and I both are praying and thinking of you constantly.

fred said...

Lisa...we are so happy to hear the latest report....Renee and I pray and think of you constantly....Trey

Anonymous said...

Oh, this sounds like it was such a good day! I'm so glad that God led you to Dr. Hunt.

I will continue to pray that SWHP is cooperative and that you are able to obtain the care you need in the fastest way possible.

Thank you for your transparency as this story of your life unfolds. Your faith is such a witness to others!

Prayers and hugs for you!
CathyT

Denise said...

God is moving, and working in a mighty, mighty way. I praise Him, love you sis.

His Girl said...

Today I was just plain filled with an overwhelming burst of hope for you. I just KNOW God is in motion here, and I am so happy to see that you're getting some answers.

May God continue to be in charge of your healing.

praying, praying, praying.

Anita said...

I can hear the optimism in your voice!
Continued prayers for you.

sonja said...

Lisa:
You've been in my thoughts today all day, and in my prayers. This sounds like a good day. I have prayed for Dr.Hunt's knowledge to be helpful in your decisions, and it sure sounds like she is the right one. So, for today, go and rest, and we continue to trust God with all of it. it's the way you began this journey, and this is one more step!

Hugs and love,

Sonja

Lelia Chealey said...

Will be praying for you tonight Lisa and have put you in my prayer book. Love you and thank you for including us on the journey with you. You are never alone.
Love you,
Lelia

Gretchen said...

Lisa, I'm thrilled for your success in seeing the docs that are so capable in this area. Our Great Physician is amazing, no? Praying for you, my sweet new friend & Safari Sister.

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Prayed for you first thing when I got up this morning. thank you for taking time to give us this update.
Praise the Lord for all He is doing in you. Love you!

Marilyn...in Mississippi

Sandy at God Speaks Today said...

Oh, that is so encouraging. I prayed for you today and will continue to do so every single day until you are cancer free. And then I'll probably still pray for you.

Love,
Sandy

mrs. smith said...

so very awesome!

Bernie said...

I am happy today is over and that you found comfort in Dr. Hunt's words....she is right not to think too far ahead without information.
I do hope your insurance company co-operates really fast this time.
I feel relieved that you now have some options to look at. I am so happy for you and your family. Rest, and enjoy your family these next few days.....love you. Keeping you and your family in my heart and prayers always...:-) Hugs

k. peterson said...

yippee-skippee! one step at a time!! breathe and soak up the hope and joy of the Lord & family/friends.
there is no stamp on the bottom of your foot that says when you'll expire.(copied that saying) you're in the middle of a great adventure, not a crisis. Praying you feel God's BIG, MIGHTY HANDS surrounding you tonight. we all celebrate the good news and hope that was given today. whooppity-do-da! *sidenote: YOU ROCK w/ honesty. bring it, sister!!

sleep tight, tonight. life is precious. life is sweet......

Patrina said...

Lisa, I just love that scripture that you placed at he end. I remember when I first read it in the Message. It give me goose bumps to see it in print here. So appropriate.

Just trying to keep up with the steps here - so I know how to pray more effectively. God is most certainly with you!

Standing in faith with you.
Patrina <")>><

Alleluiabelle said...

OH, OH, OH, OH, OH...Can you tell I'm excited for you? You sweet precious woman. God is keeping you close to his heart and sweeping you right along Him every step of the way. I love you Lisa and I am so thrilled and pumped right now for you. My prayers continue my friend.

Big Hugs,
Alleluiabelle

Yolanda said...

Lisa,

This sounds like great news and that God is answered many prayers. Love you and will be praying.

Yolanda

B His Girl said...

Lisa, this is very encouraging info. Dr. Hunt sounds very wise. She has a 'get well' plan and God will use her to further His purpose for your life. Thank you Lord for sending Lisa to her. Bless Dr. Hunt. Please give Lisa favor in the insurance process. Let them say yes to all the things needed for her to get the best treatment. God you are good and great! Thank you. Thank you for all the love Lisa is receiving from her blog friends. Thank you for being mindful of us. Thank you for the strength you give us for the journey. May Lisa keep your peace in her heart, leap for joy in your love for her, and let her light shine for other to see. You O God are the reason we walk. Thank you for the mercy we woke up to this morning. We are yours. Breath on our hearts that others may see Your Presence in us. We love you. In your name Jesus we pray. Amen
Big HUGS to you Lisa and your family! Get some rest. B

Jen said...

good news all around! now i have specifics to pray for for the weekend. much love to you, lisa, and many, many prayers!!! xoxoxo

Melanie said...

Yes! Sounds like good news to me.
Waiting is so hard. So hard. Prayed for you this morn.
Love,
Melanie

Gigi said...

Praise God - things are sounding promising!! Focus on the positive and stay in the "now!" (((hugs)))

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

YEA!!!!

Lisa, clean margins is GREAT NEWS!!!

I am so encouraged by this news and I know you are too!!

I need to call you back.

Praying for you!!!!

And btw, "God of the Angel Armies" is my favorite ever term for God. I have been invoking that as we embark on this adoption process and the attacks have come on with a vengeance.

xoxoxo

JoAnn said...

Lisa-
Praising God for all the help that He has planned for you! May your path be smooth to a complete healing. We are going to praise Him right along side you, dear one. Your God is MIGHTY to SAVE! I know that He loves every bit of you and longs to show it to you. I am praising Him how wonderfully and beautifully He has made your precious body and soul. May He be glorified and you be uplifted every minute of every day of your journey.
Your sister in Christ Jesus-
JoAnn Miller

TRUTH SHARER said...

Oh Lisa:

I was offline for two days but had called even my closest friend who does not own and computer and asked her to pray for you!

I give God praise for the good doctor Hunt and praise God for your insurance company's response as they are being very responsible for your care right now! I pray our letters had an affect!

One step at at time girlfriend. Check out what God gave me last night as I was driving on a familiar road where He always pours forth His speech in the heaven's. Let the HEART of our God speak to your heart today too. Check out the latest post... it's for YOU little pink Princess!!

Love and continued prayers and always.......
Choosing GREAT JOY in His Presence,
Stephanie
JESUS ONLY in 2010

lilmcunningham said...

This sounds like a wonderful step in the right direction. Praying, melissa Cunningham

Deborah said...

I'm just read today's post and this one and I am very glad you had a nice weekend with your family. I can only imagine on how tired you must feel, mentally exhausted. I know Penny gets that way also. It sounds like you have awesome doctors and they have a plan, several plans. I am praying for you daily. Happy Valentines Day. Enjoy yourself and your family.
Deborah

Alena said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Alena

http://ovarianpain.net