home about speaking she cares resources contact

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Little Pink Blessings: Part 2

I got a package in the mail a couple days ago. It was from my friend Amy. Amy and I have had a long distance relationship for a long time.

Amy and I wrote endless letters through her summer in Indonesia as a foreign exchange student, through our college years and even into married life and babies. Over the last few years, Amy has written many more letters than I have. (cough, cough)

Because I can sometimes express my heart and feelings more thoroughly on paper than face to face, Amy and I have become very close over the years. Amy was my maid of honor in my wedding. We made special trips to meet babies, tour Texas and brave the snow in Colorado just to see each other.

We just had the chance to spend a precious and treasured evening together in December. I know we will both cherish that time forever. We have marveled over the past two and a half weeks how absolutely ordinary and normal that night was. There is such a comfort in ordinary that I think I have always taken for granted. Never ever again!

The night I told her I had cancer, we wept together. We just sat on the phone for awhile silently grieving. She said something so profound. She said I have no words only sighs. I’m so glad God hears my sighs.

Amy is a giver. She is thoughtful and creative and generous. So naturally, when I got a package from her, I couldn’t wait to tear into it.

What I found took my breath away.This is a charm that says, “Believe in Miracles,” on a hot pink velvet ribbon. It is beautiful and charming and it really beckons me to believe. I will wear it everyday along my cancer journey. I will only take it off when I have to remove metal clothing for tests and scans.

And on the days when I have no words and no prayers…

I will sigh.

But I will never stop believing.

Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God's Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don't know how or what to pray, it doesn't matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our pregnant condition, and keeps us present before God. That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good. Romans 8:26-27 The Message

12 comments:

Tea With Tiffany said...

thankful for this precious reminder to believe

what a gift from a friend

praying for you today

Melanie Redd said...

Hey Lisa,

Aren't you grateful to have sweet friends who God uses to bless and encourage our hearts?

It seems like God always knows when to send the right email, card, phone call, or gift in the mail.

Thanks for sharing about your bracelet. When we get gifts like this, I like to think of them as God's hugs to me personally!

So, consider yourself "hugged" and very loved by God.

Blessings to you today!
Melanie

Anonymous said...

Thats beautiful, both the entry and the charm..praying for you and your family..

Erika

Greater is HE that is in YOU then he that is in the world!!!

Denise said...

Such a sweet reminder.

Becky said...

Lisa,
I stumbled upon your blog a few weeks ago and was so inspired by your writing. I fell in love with the way that you weave scripture throughout your words, your life. Like I said, "inspiring." Then I read all about dear and precious Andrew and cried and prayed. And today I am in shock, and in awe about your diagnosis. Know that I will be praying for you and your family! In Christ, Becky

Andrea said...

Beautiful. I know you will wear it proudly reminding "everyone" in your path to Believe In Miracles!!
Hugs, andrea

His Love Extended--Julie Gorman said...

Thank God for good friends and hope! Our confidence in God's goodness empowers us to do the impossible.

Believing with you!

Melanie said...

Yes...I believe this. I love you. Praying for your total healing. Believing for it. Expecting it. His Word, His Word.

Loren said...

Amen and Amen! Believe my Sister ~ He is walking beside you each and every moment!

Gigi said...

Friends like that are truly a gift and a blessing...

Believing in miracles right along with you!

B His Girl said...

How special Lisa. You were in my prayers as soon as my eyes opened this morning. B

Bernie said...

What a beautiful friend you have in Amy....God will place more good friends in your life throughout this journey and you will know them through him. So love your bracelet and I know it will bring you comfor...God Bless Amy, God Bless you and your family.

Am praying for you today and always.......:-) Hugs