home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, February 22, 2010

History


Today is a Daniel Day. I'm currently on a safari through Daniel. To read about my travels click here. To read about my fellow safari sisters, click on the picture. This week we studied prayer vs. planning.

You should know, I’m a “planner.” In college, I lived by a color-coded calendar. I owned a huge Daytimer during my single-working-girl days and joined the ranks of Franklin-Covey graduates as a young professional.

Then I had children.

I forgot everything from doctors’ appointments to fixing dinner. I was a what a planned perfectionist refers to as “a total mess.”

As the children started school, I began to use a calendar again and now I use my iPhone to schedule appointments with reminders. I still forget things from time to time but that’s just because there’s way too many to remember! This one-day-at-a-time cancer life is enough to drive a recovering planner crazy! I hardly know what tomorrow holds as I can't even tell how my afternoon will play out. One phone call can change the course of the day in a second!

I started to think about how our lesson on remembrance from last week totally lines up with this week’s lesson on prayer. I mean, I don’t plan like I used to. I plan for our immediate needs and the plans of any day other than the one we’re on get held very loosely. Especially now.

I’ve also learned that if I can keep my eyes on God and who He is, I don’t freak out that there is no plan. I can rest because He doesn’t just have “a” plan, He has “the” plan. Remembering who He is, helps me accept His plan. Let me explain.

The one thing I love about Jesus’ miracles, besides the fact that miracles rock, is that after every.single.one people’s eyes are opened to who God is, they come to Him hurting, they leave His side praising.

Daniel’s miracle is no different.

I love that Daniel was such a faithful, devout and righteous man. He obeyed God so thoroughly that there was no place he could be caught doing wrong. His relationship with the Lord was the only place evil men could see a weakness. Little did they know, they picked his very strength to use against him. They messed with the wrong guy!

When faced with impending doom, Daniel did as he was accustomed to. He went home, got down on his knees and prayed as usual. Since the evil men made praying against the law, Daniel was arrested and tossed to the lions. And you know the rest of the story.

Now, let me be the first to say, if evil men were scrutinizing my life, they wouldn’t have to search long before they’d find some nastiness with which to bring me down. They would find skeletons and darkness long before the reached the secret recesses of my “closet” and began digging. I did some soul searching this week. What is my reaction in times of trouble? I’ve certainly had opportunity to find out lately.

I need an impending miracle. Like Daniel, I need God’s immediate deliverance. A few days ago, I was told the very doctor I had worked so hard to see had said she could not help me. (This turned out to be a gross communication error and was solved within 24 hours but still…)
Panic began to spread through my body, my heart raced, my hands sweated and my mind exploded. When I caught my breath and my tears began to fall, I heard my heart crying out to the Lord.

That’s when He asked me, “Lisa, really, what do you believe?”

I have had to confess with my mouth this entire week that which I know in my mind to be true…
If MD Anderson refuses to treat me, if Scott & White Health Plan refuses to pay for it, if I have the wrong surgery, if the treatment doesn’t work, if the cancer has spread, if the complete diagnosis is bad it doesn’t matter.

Because ultimately it is God who heals me. He can use Dr. Hunt.

Or not.

I have been reminding God of his history all week. I have been reminding myself of who He is.
"God is a safe place to hide, ready to help when we need him. We stand fearless at the cliff-edge of doom, courageous in seastorm and earthquake, Before the rush and roar of oceans, the tremors that shift mountains. Jacob-wrestling God fights for us, God-of-Angel-Armies protects us." Psalm 46:1-3 The Message

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I need to know that I know that I know. I have no other choice but to pray.

Today is Monday, I face the lions’ den this week. Tomorrow I will kiss my children goodbye not knowing when I will see them again. Friday, I will be put to sleep, laying my life in Dr. Hunt’s hands. Thankfully I pray to the One who has Dr. Hunts’ hands in His. Like Daniel, I want to be found praying in the morning, on Friday morning and every morning. Not freaking. Just praying. As usual.

"When Daniel learned that the decree had been signed and posted, he continued to pray just as he had always done." Daniel 6:10 The Message

Pray that like Daniel’s miracle, mine will cause many to praise God.

Lisa was taken out of the den…there wasn't a scratch on her. She had trusted her God…Lisa's God shall be worshiped and feared…He is the living God…He is a savior and rescuer. He performs astonishing miracles in heaven and on earth. He saved Lisa from the power of cancer. Daniel 6:23 & 25-27 Lisa's version

12 comments:

Gretchen said...

Your faith is glorifying God in so many ways, including--growing mine. How easy it is to thank Him for the easy times, and turn to Him in panic. But to turn to Him at all times, with open hands...that's faith. Blessings, sweet friend. Your walk is such a pleasant aroma. xxxooo

Shanda said...

Oh Amen and Amen girl! I got chills with the last personalized verse. I am praying that there would not even be the "scent of smoke upon you!" That God will deliver you mightily through this for His glory and honor.

I am praying for you this week - as one recovering planner to another - that God would provide you the grace, faith and mercy you need to trust His heart for you and your family. I am praying for unexplanable peace and joy for you in the midst. God is the ultimate planner; and He has you and your family in the palm of His hand - He has you covered...literally and figuratively.

We'll be gathered around the furnace this Friday with you (in Spirit) humbly and expectantly waiting God's hand of deliverance.

Much love girl.

Gigi said...

Keep on praising, keep on praying, keep on bringing glory to His name! And then sit back, fasten your seat belt and just see what our awesome God is capable of! Believe it!!!

Denise said...

I love you and your faith sis.

care-in said...

I so appreciate your faith story...it is already causing me to praise God. You are right...He has THE plan.

Jen said...

Love ALL of this, Lisa, but especially am loving this today:
"I’ve also learned that if I can keep my eyes on God and who He is, I don’t freak out that there is no plan. I can rest because He doesn’t just have “a” plan, He has “the” plan."
I so needed to hear this TODAY!
God rocks, and so do you, my friend!
Much, much love, and more and more prayers....

Bernie said...

All of the emotions you felt last week are normal and God understands them better than even you do.
Leaving everything in God's hands is easier said then done sweetie but if anyone can do it I know you can.
I do know and believe that God's will.will.be.done.....my prayer is that he heals you and allows you to stay here with your family for a very long time, I trust him Lisa to bless you and care for you.
Loving Lisa.........:-) Hugs

Cindy (Letters From Midlife) said...

I just found your blog through another one. I will join in prayer for you. I love personalizing scripture! Good for you for claiming it for yourself.

Patty said...

I really like what is on your blog header ~ ordinary girl, extraordinary God. And oh, what our extraordinary God can do with an ordinary girl ~ down to the last detail. Praying for you and your family.

Lindsey @ A New Life said...

Lisa, I love you so....your steadfast faith is such an encouragement. Will be praying over you and your family during this week--

Tiffani said...

I think this is one of my faves you've written on Daniel...I love the phrase "praying, as usual"..YES!! and AMEN!!

Lifting you up today and always, friend!

His Girl said...

girl, if there's anything that I know for sure, it's that you're not doing this study by mistake!

what an INCREDIBLE testimony you are writing, my sistah! The book of Lisa is just amazing in every way.

I can't know how you're doing this, lady. Each time I hear that your new plan is 'wait'- I scream in my heart AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I want you to have an abc plan! I want to know what is next!

I'm so proud of you, girlie. Your faith and love and passion for God is overwhelming. thank you for sharing. you may never know what an impact you're making on the rest of us... but I hope you at least know that because of you, I am praying more, hoping more, and clinging to Him more.

thank you.