home about speaking she cares resources contact

Sunday, February 14, 2010

His Hands

Today is Valentine's Day. Today is my baby's fourth birthday. Palmer.

Just after Palmer was born a dear friend held him and said, “What is a Palmer?” Then she quoted Isaiah 49:16, See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands.”

Palmer’s life verse right there. A new fascination with hands birthed in my heart.

Especially on Valentine’s Day, I am reminded of how much I love my husband’s hands. The intimacy that is conveyed in a simple touch, hand brushing hand, hand rubbing sore muscles at the end of a hard day, hands clasped in prayer in the heat of a battle. I.just.love.his.hands.

These past almost-three weeks I have spent hours meditating on God’s hands. The intimacy I feel at his touch, the ways I see his hand provide and bless in my life. I marveled on Thursday when I met Dr. Hunt knowing that when God used his hands to create her hands, he had my healing in mind.

Many people have prayed the words to Healer by Kari Jobe over me. One special friend who is a professional dancer even danced over me to that song.

There’s a line that says, “You hold my world in your hands.”

This thought has brought me so much comfort.

When I was a little girl, one of my favorite songs was “He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands.” There were lots of verses like, He holds the mamas and the daddies in his hands and the little bitty babies in his hands. Come on hippy children of the seventies, sing with me! You know how you used to make up your own silly verses? The puppies and the kitties in his hands, the really smart and pretty Lisa in his hands (I used to sing that one to my bratty little brother to prove I was far superior)...

I just began to picture all the things held by God’s hands. His hands are big enough for my children, my family, my health, my future, my very life and the whole world and all that encompasses. I even made up a few of my own verses again this week. He holds the whole Smith family in his hands, He holds my cancer and my healing in his hands, He holds Scott & White Health Plan in his hands, He holds Dr. Hunt's schedule in his hands. He holds the whole world in his hands.

I marvel that his hands are big enough to hold the world yet small enough to reach the private places of my heart. I celebrate the fact that he not only holds my life in his hands, he has my name engraved on the palms of his hands. Just as my husband wears a wedding ring to show the world that he belongs to me, The Amplified says my God wears a tattoo of my name on his hands. Now that’s a tattoo I can like!

Behold, I have indelibly imprinted (tattooed a picture of) you on the palm of each of My hands. Isaiah 49:16 The Amplified

Happy Birthday, dear Palmer, thank you for opening my eyes to His Hands!

Can a mother forget the infant at her breast, walk away from the baby she bore? But, even if mothers forget, I'd never forget you—never. Look, I've written your names on the backs of my hands. Isaiah 49:15-16 The Message


20 comments:

Melanie said...

So beautiful, Lisa. And so, beautiful Lisa, you have helped me this morning.
Love,
Melanie

Gigi said...

Beautiful!

If you haven't already heard it, you might like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YiULD_Ng8o

Andrea said...

Beautiful tribute to Palmer's life and to the life of GOD through both you and little Palmer. GOD BLESS you both!
Storming the heavens on your behalf,
andrea

Nana Jul said...

Happy Valentine's Day Lisa, and Happy Birthday Palmer! 4 is a GREAT age!
His Hands are Big enough - He holds it all! Gen. 18:14 Is anything too hard for the LORD?
Awesome post Lisa!
He's got your back!
Love,
Julie

His Girl said...

tremendous....

a beautiful picture of a mother's love for her son, and of a Father's love for His girl.

may today be a constant reminder of His love for you... Happy Valentine's day, friend of mine.

sonja said...

Incredible words Lisa, not just words... a whole sermon for this Sunday morning. Isn't it beautiful how God forms and writes His 'sermons' right into our hearts?

Have a wonderful day with your valentines!

Love,

Sonja

Bernie said...

Happy Birthday Palmer, and Happy Valentine's Day to you and your family. Am praying for mummy with all of my heart.......:-) Hugs

Wilhelmine Mitchell said...

PaPaPa and Great Grandmother wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY Palmer!OXOXOXO

Wilhelmine Mitchell said...

Happy Valentines Day to all the Smith Family and a Happy Birthday to Palmer!

Loren said...

What beautiful thoughts of HIS Hands holding so many aspects of your life right now. Some HE holds so tenderly while others with Strength and POWER! Thank you for sharing and I pray your Palmer has a blessed Birthday and you a precious Valentines Day

Denise said...

Awesomely beautiful, happy valentines day sweetie. Happy birthday to dear Palmer.

TRUTH SHARER said...

Oh How blessed you ARE - how precious - the name - the boy - the Day -and our GOD!!

{{Hugs}} Stephanie

holly said...

Lisa I'm going to use this idea as a devotional this week! I love the idea that just like I write things on my hand to remember them, my Father has written MY name on HIS hand & promises to never leave me nor forsake me!

Thank you for this encouragement! Praying for you this week!

Queenmothermamaw said...

Happy Valentine's Day and Happy Birthday to Palmar. What wonderful gifts these children are.
QMM

Renee Swope said...

Beautiful reflections from a beautiful heart that overflows with HIS Love!!! Every time I stop by my heart is filled!! Thanks for writing HIS love on our hearts and reminding us with such intimate word pictures that our names are engraved on His hands.

Happy Valentines sweet friend and HAPPY BIRTHDAY Palmer!!!!!!

Tea With Tiffany said...

So precious. Thank you for sharing HIS hands with us. And happy birthday to your son. Hugs from Colorado. Prayers too.

Growin' with it! said...

what a beautiful verse! and oh it feels so good to be smack dab in the middle of His hands...and arms! hope the sun is shining bright for you today, like it is here.

LisaShaw said...

Happy Belated Birthday to Palmer who is so cute and praying for you Lisa. Hold on to the LORD.

Edie said...

Wow this was really beautiful Lisa.
Much love!

Susan said...

Lisa,

How touching, how true. And these hands of mine hold you and your family up in prayer each day.

Keep holding on!!

Hope Palmers birthday was just perfect.