home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Hat Hanging

***see today's medical update below***

You know how coat racks have those curly pegs at the top as a place to hang hats? My dad’s house has a hat rack and he has tons of hats hanging on top. He has all kinds of caps from everywhere, with every mascot and logo on them. The hats really define him as they have come from jobs he’s held, teams he’s supported and places he’s visited.

Tonight I found myself wanting to hang my hat on some waiting scriptures. As I thought about what that phrase meant to me, I thought about my dad’s hat collection. My papa had one too when he lived in his big house that my grandparents had lived in for over 50 years together. The big box of hats held not only memories but pieces of his life.

Which brings me back to the phrase to hang one’s hat. A place to hang one’s hat is a place to live or to dwell. If a hat represents who we are, it's rack represents where we live. A place we dwell is where we hangout. Dwelling reminds me of living, really living and living well, thriving. Dwelling in a place is where we can totally be ourselves and let it all hang out so to speak.

I’d like for the place I dwell to be as solid as the Rock in whom I live. I’d like for what hangs out in this place to represent him well. I’d like all the transformed places in me to show and I’d even be okay with the nasty human-ny places still in process hanging out if that’s what it takes to make these new.

I realized tonight that waiting isn’t something that is at the top of my to do list. Waiting is actually something I’ve had more than enough of lately and something I almost resent being a little too familiar with. So all of you who took the time to comment and send me verses about waiting, God bless you. He spoke through you straight to my waiting heart. I can turn impatient waiting into joyful expectation when I don't just fret and worry wait. When I wait on the Lord, watching for Him to show up, work miracles, whisper to my heart, my bored, impatient waiting for the phone to ring, turns to joyous expectancy in anticipation of what God will do. Which is totally a miracle because a few hours ago I was running low on every fruit of the spirit…including joy. And then I wonder. Just how will He save the day this time? Just like an exciting book with the plot dramatically unfolding, I will wait for the twists and turns that make a good story in my life.

This day is holy to God. Don't feel bad. The joy of God is your strength!,,. God has lost track of me. He doesn't care what happens to me"? Don't you know anything? Haven't you been listening? God doesn't come and go. God lasts. He's Creator of all you can see or imagine.He doesn't get tired out, doesn't pause to catch his breath. And he knows everything, inside and out. He energizes those who get tired, gives fresh strength to dropouts. For even young people tire and drop out, young folk in their prime stumble and fall. But those who wait upon God get fresh strength. They spread their wings and soar like eagles, They run and don't get tired, they walk and don't lag behind. Nehemiah 8:10 & Isaiah 40:28-31

7 comments:

Denise said...

Awesome scripture.

Bernie said...

Lisa I hope you sleep well tonight and tomorrow your questions will be answered......I find it is you who gives me inspiration when I should be comforting you.
Keeping you in my heart, thoughts and prayers always.......:-) Hugs

trtb65@aol.com said...

Lisa, As I sat here reading your messages @ the caring bridge and on Glad chatter...God laid something on my heart that He told me to share with you. John 14:27
"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." Peace: state of calm, freedom from strife, harmony in personal relationship. While you wait, know that He is raining peace upon you. May you wait full of His peace. Waiting is hard. Rest in His peace tonight and tomorrow and the next day, and so on. He has blessed all of us with you and your words of encouragement and hope and perseverance. He is using you in a mighty way. I know He will continue to do so. We love you!
Praying for you now!
Terri

Terri Ratcliffe said...

Lisa, as I sat here reading the Caringbridge and Glad Chatter the Lord laid something on my heart. "Peace" state of calm, freedom from strife and discord, harmony in personal relationship...
John 14:27 "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." So while you wait, I pray His peace falls on you like rain! May it be overflowing! You are such a blessing to all of us with your words of encouragement, your perseverance, your words that He has given you to speak of His truth! Waiting is hard...praying you will find it comforting to rest in His peace. I never really noticed the last part of that verse... but the words "Do not be afraid" lept out at me tonight! He's got you in His hands. We love you!
Matt and Terri Ratcliffe

Susan said...

Hey Lisa,

Continuing to pray and "wait" with you!

The hardest part of my son's journey with a brain tumor was the w.a.i.t.i.n.g.

It seems we were always doing that. Praying for God's grace to cover you and carry you.

Thanks for being such a beautiful example for all of us.

Lynn Cowell said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog yesterday. It was so good to hear from so many who have a heart for teens. I hope you will continue to stop by. On Wednesday I have a post called "In the Know" where I cover issues that teens are facing daily and how we can come along side of them. You can click on the subscribe button to receive it right in your email box to make it even easier.

The Chubby Dove said...

Hi Lisa,

Just read your post on Sandy's blog and I just prayed for you, sweetie.

My mom has been battling breast cancer on and off for 12 years. It's now at stage 4. Never has she walked so closely with the Lord. And for that reason, I'm thankful.

Hugs!