home about speaking she cares resources contact

Friday, January 29, 2010

This Storm

I woke up at 3:00 this morning to a raging storm outside my window. This is a favorite feeling of mine. I love the steady rhythm of rain pounding on the windows and roof and the quiet roll of thunder in the distance.

But, my heart flies out of my chest when the center of the storm passes. The roughest part. The thunder is loud and unpredictable, the raindrops give way to hail and a real Texas thunderstorm is born. Tonight I even screamed when the electricity went off and on in a power surge.

I first thought of the disciples on the boat in a big storm with waves rolling and the ship threatening to toss them while Jesus peacefully slept.

Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. Matthew 8:23-24

You know the story; the disciples frantically wake up Jesus and Jesus calms the storm. The Message says that Jesus made the sea “as smooth as glass.”

Immediately as I thought of this story, I thought of God’s promise. The reason Jesus could sleep.

He won't let you stumble, your Guardian God won't fall asleep. Not on your life! Israel's Guardian will never doze or sleep. 
Psalm 121:3-4 The Message

Jesus slept soundly and peacefully, he was at rest because His Father never sleeps.

Two things I long to remember as I travel this journey by boat. I want to be like Jesus and never forget My Father is fighting so I can rest.

Prayer update:

Please add the countless others commenting here who are enduring their own storms with cancer.

Please pray for Charlotte’s father as he undergoes surgery. He is having a terrible reaction similar to Joyful’s dad last year.




8 comments:

Sheryl said...

woke up with you on my heart and have been praying ever since.

God is all over this and it's so obvious that God is all over you. YOU will be a blessing to others today.

trusting that this will be a day of God's will being done.

love you!

His Girl said...

I think I'm learning what 'praying without ceasing' feels like. My heart is just passionately lifting you up in prayer throughout the day- sometimes without even knowing how or why.

I am with Sheryl- Trusting that this will be a day of God's will being done.

I love you, sis.

xoxo

happy gram said...

lisa, i don't know you but have many many friends who must have known you from Baylor days. i am praying for you and for your family. you are being surrounded by prayers by people you may never have heard of. for everything bad that is said about facebook, i have found it to be an incredible resource for spreading the prayer needs of those struggling with health issues, family issues or just "having a bad day" issues. nothing is too small or too big for God to lay His hand on. be comforted in the prayers of many who care.

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Lisa,
Praying for you toay. And as far as storms go....I'm a BIG sissy! It doesn't matter if the storms are tornadoes (or ice/sleet/snow as we are having today), or physical storms, or emotional storms, I'm not a "storm chaser"! I don't get my thrills from storms. But praise God, HE is always in control.

What a blessing and inspiration you have already been to me!

Love ya,

Marilyn...in Mississippi

Susan said...

Thanks for the update and such words of comfort and encouragement for all of us.

I have a friend who had a sarcoma and was treated at MD Anderson for that. I just wrote her and asked her the name of her doctor.

Praying for the Lord's favor, and blessings to go before you each step of your journey.


"the LORD delights in those who fear him, who put their hope in his unfailing love" (PSA 147:11).

Bernie said...

I fell asleep praying for you and when I woke up you and your family were first on my mind so I prayed again.....I love storms, I feel safe and secure inside as I watch it from my window....I just know I am safe from it as I trust God, I know you do too. Hope all went well today.......:-) Hugs

Christiana said...

My precious friend - I've been out of the loop and am just now reading this.

My heart is so heavy for you & the pain & fear you're battling. And yet, your faith in the good God who loves you is evident, and I know you are convinced (as I am) that He is still in control - and worthy of your trust.

You have my prayers and my love.

Denise said...

You are on my heart, and in my prayers.