home about speaking she cares resources contact

Friday, January 08, 2010

Spreading Fragrance


I had a perfect Christmas this year. I'm not kidding! Snow in Texas even set the stage for a white Christmas for us. Although we traveled and celebrated four times in all with all our spread out families, it was absolutely wonderful! I hope to share my pictures soon and tell you more about it but for today I want to talk about one gift.

Christmas shopping can be a real difficult thing for me. Not because I don't love to shop. I do. Not because I don't have ideas for perfect gifts for people. I do. Christmas buying can be difficult because I am usually limited to a very meager cash budget and I rarely have time to do very little, if any at all. Just being real.

This year before I ever set foot in a store, I prayed. When the anxiety of being pressed between time and money set in, I prayed harder. In the few harried hours I had to shop, I found some wonderful gifts. Perfect ones, I tell you. One of my favorites was a fragrance.

One thing I spend money on is my hair. I buy a special shampoo and conditioner. I have done this since working in a beauty salon in high school. In case you're wondering, that's a lot of years. I have to purchase it about two or three times a year and when I don't buy it my hair is a frizzy, dried out mess. While Christmas shopping I went into Ulta to buy hair products and as I was walking to the back of the store, I saw it. A fragrance called Amazing Grace.

I thought of this verse: "But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him." 2 Corinthians 2:14

I thought of two people I love in my life who are standing daily on this verse. Who wouldn't want to smell like the knowledge of him? Which I imagine smells like many things. Among them Amazing Grace.

One of my friends has been needing some perfume. She has been wearing the same fragrance for many years. She wanted to get more but getting would take a little effort. When she described the effort to me, I felt the Lord telling me she needed a new fragrance. I gave her some Amazing Grace for Christmas.

My other friend is living this verse right now and has been for several months. I just wanted her to have a daily reminder of the fragrance she is spreading to others during this time in her life. She also needs an extra portion of God's amazing grace to make it through each day right now. I gave her some Amazing Grace.

Perfume was on my own Christmas list. I recently discovered something good. Sam's Club sells designer fragrances at great prices. My husband loves Sam's. I asked him while I was talking to him and he was walking the aisles of Sam's Christmas shopping, to buy me some perfume for Christmas.

He somehow remembered this when he was at the Walmart doing after Christmas shopping instead of at Sam's Club (where they sell my current favorite) doing manly Christmas shopping. He came home with two new fragrances for me.

Faith (by Faith Hill) and when I use this one I am reminded of this verse: "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1

Believe (by Brittany Spears) and I think of this when I use it: "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us," Ephesians 3:20

My stepmom actually gave me my current perfume love, Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker. As I spray it on, I think of this: "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Philippians 4:8

I love having a choice of fragrance. It's been many years since I had the luxury of a choice. I love how my heart has responded to faith, belief and loveliness. I certainly need these things in my battle this year!

What fragrance do you love?



7 comments:

Melanie said...

Love that I was a recipient of Amazing Grace.
Love you.
Melanie@Bella~Mella

Bernie said...

I love how you match perfume with a bible verse and they absolutely match. How wonderful is that....now I feel I have to be careful when I tell you I wear Alien.....Liz it is just a name and it does smell ever so good as it should for what I have to pay for it.......Have a great weekend my friend.......:-) Hugs

lisasmith said...

Melanie--i love you!

Bernie--You could use 1 Peter 2:11 Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul.

sonja said...

I have one of those big 'dummy' perfume bottles of "JOY' sitting on my bathtub. How about James 1:2,3 for this one... "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance."...

lisasmith said...

Sonja--that's a good one or if it's been a long day and you need to soak in a hot bubble bath, Weeping may endure for the night but JOY cometh in the morning. This is so much fun!

Eternally Distracted said...

lovely post. I have to have a selection of fragrances as I am eternally distracted!!

Joyful said...

My fragrance for years has been "Pleasures" by Estee Lauder. I'm reminded of Psalm 16:11, "You will make known to me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever."

Ever since the fragrance, "Princess" came out I have wanted it...but I don't like the scent. I think I'll purhase some just to use the visual to remind me of who I am in Christ - a daughter of the King.

Love ya,
Joy