home about speaking she cares resources contact

Friday, January 29, 2010

Prayer Wall - Sarah

Hello friends of Glad Chatter!

This is Sarah Decker. Lisa asked me to guest post so that all of her readers would have the information about the prayer wall.

This is the post I published on my blog:

I am writing tonight with a heavy heart. I am just now able to process through some things due to new information available.

The summer before I moved to Baylor - Summer 2007 - I spent many days a week babysitting two sweet little boys and sometimes their two older sisters, depending on their busy summer camp schedule. I have such fond memories of walking to the park down the road with a baby in the stroller, two very active girls roller blading, and a curious little boy just taking in every aspect of the walk. I gained amazing wisdom from their sweet mother, Lisa, who shared her stories about growing up, going to college, and falling in love. At this time that she was such an important part of my life, my relationship with Brian was just beginning and going through some rough spots while he was a counselor at Camp Lone Star. I remember right before leaving we were talking about her favorite book, Redeeming Love, and the many things it taught her. I was amazed. Without a second thought she lent me her very own copy and I read the book 3 times before giving it back to her! I have always been amazed by Lisa's "go get 'em" attitude and her oldest daughter, Julia, walking her mom's footsteps with the same spunk for life. Lisa loves her children. She would come home from a busy day of work and running errands and just sit on the couch and cuddle. One time, about a year ago, I was in town and drove by to say hello after more than a year without seeing the kids. She was playing Wii with her two youngest children. She is filled with joy around her children. Her children are filled with joy around her. She has a husband who is a leader and a provider. A husband who fits her spunky attitude perfectly - a husband who has fun with her.

Unfortunately, there is a bump in the road. This week, Lisa was diagnosed with sarcoma of the breast. This is not considered breast cancer, it is sarcoma that was found in the breast. In her latest blog post, Lisa stated that out of nearly 30,000 cases of breast cancer studied at the Mayo Clinic over the last 50 years, 25 were sarcoma of the breast. The church I grew up in, where the Smiths are active members, sent out an urgent prayer request for Lisa stating a few more details about sarcoma. It is a rare form of cancer that is non-responsive to chemo or radiation, the only choice is an "emergency" mastectomy. Please visit her blog for current updates.

I have been plagued by pain and grief for Lisa. The e-mail also mentioned her children, especially one of the girls, having lots of questions. I can only imagine what they are all going through. I have been plagued with the concept that all I can do is spread the word and pray. Until now, I didn't think that was enough.

I need your help. Each and every single one of you. I would like to start a prayer wall for Lisa and her family. I desire that she is covered in prayer 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The best way to do this is to spread the word and find 30 minutes, an hour, or however long you can commitand a specific day or days that you can commit to prayer for the Smiths. If you would like to commit to praying for Lisa and Andrew and their children, Julia (10), Alyssa (8), Hunter (6), and Palmer (4), become a part of the prayer wall by:
  1. Emailing smithprayerwall@yahoo.com
  2. If you have a Facebook account, become a fan of "Prayer Wall for Lisa Smith" to receive updated information about Lisa's medical updates and prayer wall hours.
When committing to the prayer wall, please be sure to include your name, city, state, and the time(s) you can commit to prayer. I cannot wait to see the miracles our Lord will work through this unfortunate circumstance - all for HIS glory!


Thank you so much for being a part of the daily encouragement for the Smith family. I am overwhelmed with the responses to this prayer wall and I can only imagine how overwhelmed with joy the Smiths are feeling. Lisa has expressed thanks on numerous accounts. Will you join us in blessing Lisa and her family through prayer?

-Sarah

5 comments:

nancygrayce said...

I am praying for Lisa here in Florida!

Andrea said...

I am praying with you for Lisa and the entire family. My email is: aperdue7@comcast.net
I will try to find her fan page on fb.
Hugs, andrea

The Kramer Family said...

Hi Lisa. I don't know if you remember me or not. I just wanted to let you know that I'm committing to pray for you. Its amazing to see the Lord impressing your face and family on the hearts of His people calling us to pray on your behalf.

You and your sweet family are precious.

Love,
Lynsey Kramer

Bernie said...

I am joining all the others in prayer for your healing Lisa, it is an honor for me and I pray all goes well for you and soon....Hugs

Denise said...

I am in much prayer for the family.