home about speaking she cares resources contact

Friday, January 01, 2010

New.

I just love New Year's Day. The thrill of possibility and the promise of opportunity laying before me. I just doodled 1/1/10 for about thirty minutes this morning.

Remember 2009 was my Year of Yes. And God used that one small three-letter word to radically change my life last year. My Year of Yes was full of so many abundant blessings I am longing for what lies ahead.

Like many of you, I want to do some things better this new year. I have seen myself (many times) forgo giving blessing because... (You can finish that sentence a million ways!)

I've chosen safety over encouraging words. I've chosen something over someone. I've chosen my own comfort over offering hospitality. Yes, I'm guilty. I've chosen me over God and I've chosen me over others. Those I love, those I know and those I've yet to know. I've made the wrong choice more times than I care to admit. I've shied away from the blessing more recently than I care to admit.

That's why this year, 2010 will be different. My Year of No Fear. I'll be doing the uncomfortable things because I long to be a blessing regardless of how it makes me look. I'll probably be offering these random gestures of kindness and blessing with my eyes closed because we all know if my eyes are closed nobody can see me! But I will be sticking myself out there, bumbling along the way, reaching out more than ever before and saying no to fear. The fear of rejection, the fear of loneliness, the fear of failure. I'll be saying no to the fear.

Isaiah 41:10 & 13, 43:1, 51:7 & 54:4
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand...For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you...But now, this is what the LORD says: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name...Hear me, you who know what is right, you people who have my law in your hearts: Do not fear the reproach of men or be terrified by their insults...Do not be afraid; you will not suffer shame. Do not fear disgrace; you will not be humiliated. You will forget the shame of your youth.




12 comments:

Somethings Gotta Give said...

I began last year with memorizing Isaiah 41:10, the Message version:

"Don't panic. I'm with you.There's no need to fear for I'm your God.
I'll give you strength. I'll help you. I'll hold you steady, keep a firm grip on you."

Those few words truly began making me victorious with all the fear that I was dealing with in my life. I was encouraged today by reading that verse in your post.

Bernie said...

I am so glad you have chosen this year for No Fear.....Great Choice.
So many times after my husband passed, then my mother, my son and dealing with Breast Cancer I walked in fear, but one night as I was praying for acceptance of God's will I just gave my fear to him, I even remember saying ok I'll deal with this cancer but won't you please deal with my fear, I have to be able to drive myself to chemo and I hate feeling anxious. I couldn't believe how calm I felt on my next trip to hospital and it has been that way every since. I just know God is going to handle whatever it is that is bothering me and he always does....:-) Hugs

B His Girl said...

Yes Lisa it is time to go forward with no fear. Take a giant step!
The Lord has said YES to you! I love those verses in Isaiah also. God speaks loudly to me in them.
Go claim your land. Happy New Year to you and your family! Love, B

Growin' with it! said...

*I long to be a blessing regardless of how it makes me look*....RIGHT ON! so nice to meet you lisa and what a fantastic post to start off on in reading your blog. i'm inspired!

Laura said...

Yay, Lisa! Here's to the year of no fear. May it hold many blessings for you. Let's see what God does with that one!

Wendy Blight said...

Lisa, thanks for stopping by my blog and saying hi. So great to hear from you!

LOVE your "Year of No Fear" and even more I love how you are grounding it in Scripture. I am claiming Isaiah 55 for you: God promises you that His Word will not return void but accomplish what He desires and the purposes for which He sent it. Cannot wait to see how God uses His Word in your life as you choose to live fearlessly out loud for Him.

I too would love to meet and pray over coffee with you. Maybe 2010 will bring me your way on a speaking engagement!! I will let you know. If you ever head to Charlotte, let me know.

Sweet Blessings,

Wendy

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

I love this post, Lisa. It is encouraging and probably speaks loudly to many of us who deal with fear.

I just read a book by Micca Campbell "An untroubled heart" that deals with this and it was so amazing.

Happy New Year my friend!

Joyful said...

A year of no fear...wow...that boggles this fearful mind!!! I always pray for a day without fear!

I am guilty of making the same choices you confess to in 2009. As I shared on my blog yesterday, I want to aspire higher and find the courage to make the climb.

Happy New Year my friend. May you know God's peace and presence as you walk in obedience with Him,
Joy

His Girl said...

been studying fear recently- very excited to see what happens in your year of no fear!

blessings!

Jackie said...

Hey Lisa! I wanted to stop by and meet you and thank you for joining Fresh Oil Today, my new friend!

Love your site and want you to know that I am so blessed and encouraged by your "New" post. The "no fear this year!" was just for me!!! He already stirred within my heart these words "This year seek to KNOW Me as your PRINCE OF PEACE"!

2010 I'm walking hand in hand with my Prince of Peace free of fear!! Glory to God!!

I too like "Somethings Gotta Give" love Isaiah 41:10 MSG

"Don't panic. I'm with you. There's no need to fear for I'm your God. I'll give you strength. I'll help you. I'll hold you steady, keep a firm grip on you."

Sweet Blessings!
Jackie

Tea With Tiffany said...

This post gets my spirit excited. Yes, yes and yes to your year of no fear. I'm excited to peek in and see what God does as you step out into the land of the uncomfortable. I know gifts are waiting.

:)

Happy New Year, Lisa!

Hope to connect more this year.

Tea With Tiffany said...

This post gets my spirit excited. Yes, yes and yes to your year of no fear. I'm excited to peek in and see what God does as you step out into the land of the uncomfortable. I know gifts are waiting.

:)

Happy New Year, Lisa!

Hope to connect more this year.