home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, January 25, 2010

Loving Jesus

Do you ever glaze over when you’re reading God’s Word? Do you ever tune out church because you’ve heard that story a million times? Do you ever choose to call a friend or read a book or watch TV instead of reading your Bible because it’s boring or you don’t understand it or it doesn’t help anyway?

I have done all of the above at various times in my life. When I was growing up my mom frequently told me that the Bible held all the answers to life. If I was heartbroken or frustrated or upset or saddened she’d tell me to go read my Bible and I’d feel better.

I read. I never felt better.

In ninth grade we were studying poetry. We all had to interpret an assigned poem and present it for the class. I was assigned a Psalm. I don’t remember which one. I must have read it a thousand times. It wasn’t very long. I had no idea what it meant.

I remember asking God why I couldn’t understand the Bible and asking Him what was wrong with me. I didn’t make a very good grade on the project. I think a B. But it started a questioning in my heart that was good. Very good. I asked God regularly why the Bible was boring to me. I confessed that I thought it was.

High school gave way to college and religion gave way to relationship. Still, reading the Bible each day was difficult for me. I committed and recommitted to getting up early, staying up late, carrying a Bible in my backpack and any other trick to help me read my Bible daily. I would go many weeks reading regularly and then stop.

I began to ask God to help me. I began to beg God to make me love his word. I would tell him how much I wanted to read and understand and love the Bible. Many times the Bible is referred to as God’s love letter to us. I begged God to make me love him enough to read his love letter to me.

Little by little he answered until one day many years later I realized I was reading the Bible every day. I was making the necessary sacrifices in order to make time to read his word daily. I stopped calling my time in the word a quiet time and began calling it a time of devotion because it had become a time where I would sit at the feet of the One I love full of devotion and eager to learn, to listen, to hear, to receive.

I read the Bible through again and again. I read many translations. The Bible is my favorite book. But the Lord showed me one night that it’s not the book I love. I love the Word.

In the beginning the Word already existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God. John 1:1

If any of you are struggling to spend time with the Lord in his word each day, I would love, love, love to pray for you. Just leave me a comment or email me.


12 comments:

His Girl said...

What a wonderful testimony to the power of prayer and faith!

My story is similar- I too was disappointed that reading God's word was not exciting to me, or comforting. I felt that I already knew what was in there, so why keep reading?

Boring? Can't even say that now! Such treasures in Daniel! Wow!

Tiffani said...

I loved this because I so get it! One thing I love about studying the Bible with other women is their "take" on the material for the week...to read how we "saw" the material and what angle we chose to write about..

I am doing another blog activity called "Read With Me" to read through the Bible in a year...and it's the best I've ever done. The Word is just speaking to me (plus I am reading the Message for the first time).

Daniel is so exciting and I find myself happy and excited to find out what the next week will hold!!

Denise said...

I loved this post.

Jen said...

I so get it, Lisa. I love what you say about realizing it wasn't the *Bible* you were in love with , it was the *Word*!! Brilliant!

Gretchen said...

What I love about conviction is that gentle pull towards repentance. No guilt. No shame. Just starting over at the foot of the cross. This was so beautiful, Lisa, and so convicting to me. Going for that devotional time right.now.

Faye said...

Oh Lisa, What a beautiful testiomy. You have helped me so much. I needed this today! Hope you have a great day! Blessings, Faye

LisaShaw said...

You shared beautifully from your heart. You're always such a blessing.

Love you.

Jackie said...

Hey Lisa......This posting blessed my heart! Many years ago I throught reading His Word was like eating cornflakes without milk. Not fun or tasty and certainly didn't look forward to a second helping!

Then He began to reveal Himself through His words and the Word litterally became alive to me!! How amazingly wonderful and transforming His Word is!!

I love the Word and can't get enough of it!! Praise God for ever more!

Still standing with you regarding the biopsy! He is Faithful!

Sweet Blessings!
Jackie

Sheryl said...

glaze over while reading the Bible? oh yea! i would love to be reading it as someone new to the faith trying to "get" all they can.

for me it takes discipline, which i don't have much of right now. i am loving doing this study with the rest of you though because it keeps me accountable.

love ya! (and your big mouth - kidding)

Bernie said...

Oh my you have described me very well and I have to shake my my head and refocus. What a strength you are Lisa, I find you a real inspiration......:-) Hugs

Nana Jul said...

What you have written is a struggle so many have when it comes to reading the Bible. I had to fully commit to do this thing, no matter what! And oh how I delight in His Word now!
It took alot of persistance, prayer and crying out for His help!
He loves when his children want his help!
Love,
Julie

april said...

Hi Lisa,

I know you don't know me but I am an agent here at Keller Williams. I was just reading your blogs and my heart is so overwhelmed by your soul. How proud the Lord must be to call you his. I will have you in my prayers for a quick recovery.

I am definatley in "The Bible is boring phase" I guess I never really thought to pray that God would help me see it in another light??? I will take many blessings from your thoughts.

Thank You and God Bless You and Your Family! April Rieger