home about speaking she cares resources contact

Thursday, January 07, 2010

Lice-ophobia: The Fear of Lice

Luckily as a child in the seventies, I was never the one standing in the corner waiting for mom as the bright lights and gloved hands passed over my head revealing the icky creepy nasties. But without fail each time I stood in the examination line my knees knocked and my hands sweat in anticipation of realization that the itchy sensation I had suddenly developed over my entire head was due to millions of dreaded pesky lice.

I am the girl who has feared having it so many times I've actually gone to the doctor to be checked out as a college student, teacher and mother. Because squirmy, annoying disgustingness thrives in dorm room mattresses, classrooms and (ick, ugg, ugh) homes of children. I'm the mom who has been quoted many times, some very recent, saying, "That (dealing with lice) is one of my biggest fears. Thank the Lord we haven't had it!"

This morning at 7:27 AM as I was brushing the children's hair for school, I confronted this dreaded fear. Lice.infestation.at.my.home. I responded, "Okay Lord, let's go."

As the nurse was confirming my fears, the color drained from face as my stomach did flip flops. My mind went racing over the hours in the day and I slowly dragged my weary and battle worn self out of the school and to the drugstore. After $75 worth of delicing products were purchased we went home and shampooed, gelled, combed, combed, combed, blow dried, flat ironed and picked. For over four hours. We headed back to the school to pick up the uninfested children (Praise God not all four were infested!) and were declared fit for school by the nurse.

As I combed I thought of this verse: "Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." Luke 12:7 and I talked about how loved my child is. God loves us so much He counts each hair. God can teach us through trials and only good gifts are what He gives. I thought of this verse: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28 and spoke of my child's beauty and how the enemy tries to make beautiful things ugly and good things bad. As I seemed to pick an uncountable number of yuckies out of an innumerable number of hair strands I thought of this verse: "A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you." Psalm 91:7

The other seven hours of today and several more tonight will be spent stripping, emptying, spraying, bagging, vacuuming, washing and drying everything we touch. Linens, coats, hats, mittens, scarves, pillows, blankets, plush, etc. When my house is back on the active market, it will surely be the cleanest house in town. A far cry from the house of about eighteen months ago I tell you. Doesn't God have a sense of humor?

So whether our enemy comes creeping under the creeky, shadowy cover of night or crawling around us like a million slithery bugs the same truth holds. "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

PS If I just commented on your blog over the holidays that I could never ever in a million years do the lice decontamination, leave me a comment, I'd love to remember who you are. =)



6 comments:

Andrea said...

I am scratching just reading this post. Bless your heart...
Blessings and prayers,
andrea

Cindy Bultema said...

Oh Lisa, I am so sorry to hear about the lice!! Yes, we too had the same challenge last month. And yes, you did leave this comment on my blog...

"As for the lice, it is one of my fervent faithful prayers that we never have to go through that!!!"

But you are making it! And victoriously too, I might add!!

Thankfully, the lice did not spread at our home (only 1 out of 4kids had it). And we were lice free within a week. There are lessons to be learned, aren't there, even in the lice!

Hang in there, dear Lisa! You'll be on the other side in no time!
I'll keep you in my prayers! (Having just gone through this, I can pray pretty specifically for you!)

Warmly,
Cindy :)

Bernie said...

One of my siblings caught lice when I was a child and our mother treated us all for it...just in case. For a full week we were washed, combed and picked and the house was washed as many times as we were. My poor mom, we were six children and my dad worked away from home....she had to handle it all on her own. Surprising only 1 caught them and not the other 5, but we still had to go through the same thing. Mum even had my tonsils removed as my brother and sister had to be done and it didn't cost anymore for 3 than 2...they would never allow that today I don't think.....I have to say I loved my mom and I loved growing up in a big family, honest....:-) Hugs

Dena E's Blog said...

Praise The LORD you did it Girlfriend,,, ,its an awful thing to have to do but YOU Are A Survivor Sweetie. We've all ( I believe ) said NO WAY to dealing with those ichy lil terrors, but guess what ,we did and the verse , This too Shall Pass" comes to mind.
I for 1 am proud of you, its a horror, of my 6 children only 2 over the course of our years raising them, have made us "All" in this house deal with it. Basically because Of course Mom here, (me) made us all go through the de-licing process, you know just in case.
Was that mean or what??? NO, not at all in retrospect. In reading your post I had was able to re-live it all. And thank you for sharing such a usually hush hush subject, it's been known to happen to the best of us, even when you believe your house hold is spotless..And I just realized, as a kid growing up in So. Cal, I never had to go thruogh any lice checks. They just didnt do that back in my day I suppose, the 60's-70's Weird huh, perhaps they weren't invented yet :~)
That You indeed are my help, and in the shadow of Your wings I shout for joy~~~Psalm 63:8
Hallelujah!!!
Big Hugs Dena

Lora said...

My head is starting to itch! I am so sorry Lisa. Praying your household will be back to normal soon!

Beth@Not a Bow in Sight said...

I had lice a couple times as a little girl. I had really long hair and my mom picked out every single nit with a comb. But the second time I got the lice she gave me a haircut...so yes, I fear lice!