home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

***UPDATING AGAIN 11:30 PM***Just discovered a dr who specializes in this at md anderson. am calling at 8 AM to ask her to see me. Please pray for Dr. Arun.

***UPDATE***9:18 PM***Just spoke with the doctor and I will see surgeon on Friday. Surgery is being planned for Tuesday. Some facts I accidentally left out are that the tumor is 2 to 3 cm in size. This is a relatively small tumor compared to the tumor sizes in other cases in the studies. That is very encouraging news. I will go in for a CT scan at 10:30 in the morning. I will update as soon as I speak with the surgeon tomorrow. Thank you all for your love and prayers.

Just a quick update. When I showed up at 8:30, I learned the receptionist had misbooked my appointment. I was told to come back Friday. I almost broke down right there. My sweet husband handled this for me and Dr. Rodriguez saw me at 11:00.

This turned out to be a huge blessing because I was able to come home and sleep for two hours. When I woke up I felt so strong and refreshed as I haven't been sleeping at night.

Dr. R was the kindest and most compassionate doctor. He teared up many times as he explained what was happening in my body.

Right now and until my pathology report is complete, the diagnoses is not breast cancer. It is sarcoma of the breast. Out of 28,000 cases of breast cancer the Mayo Clinic has seen over the last 50 years, 25 were sarcoma of the breast. Sarcoma is an aggressive, highly dense and fast growing cancer.

Sarcoma is a soft tissue cancer originating in the muscles and soft tissue. It is more commonly found on the thigh or calf or even on the kidneys or lungs. The recommended surgery is an "emergency" mastectomy. Dr. R was able to get me a surgeon's appointment Monday afternoon but wasn't too happy with that because he wanted it to be tomorrow with the surgery on Friday.

Enter my most caring doctor in the whole wide world who has become a soldier in this ordeal, Dr. Wagner. I went in to his office because my daughter had a prescheduled appointment this afternoon. Was that God or what? So I had a captive audience with my loving doctor who has delivered all four of my babies, hugged me and cried through my miscarriages, admitted me to the hospital for septic kidney infections and knows my body like the back of his hand.

As I went over the report with him and the course of action. He shot up out of his chair with fire in him and said he would make a call and get me in with a surgeon out of network and aim for Friday, Monday or Tuesday surgery and make sure the plastic surgeon knows this is an emergency too, something that Dr. R. couldn't do.

Dr. R. is working to get me a referral to MD Anderson in Houston and to the CTRC in San Antonio. The second and third opinions are for further treatment such as chemotherapy. Dr. R. said that unless the cancer has spread to the blood, bones or lungs that chemo would not be very effective. I'd like opinions on that.

Best case scenario, they excise the cancer by performing the mastectomy and I heal. Worst case scenario, they find microscopic cancer in other places and I go through chemo.

Cancer is ugly.

My eyes will see the king in his beauty...Heal me, O LORD, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for you are the one I praise.
Isaiah 33:17 & Jeremiah 17:14



35 comments:

His Hers Ours and Autism said...

Lisa,
If your mom needs to be with you, I can keep your babies. Anything you need. We'll arrange meals, childcare, and whatever else needed. Prayer warriors are praying. YOU ARE IN HIS HANDS.

Denise said...

God loves you sis, and He is with you. He is not going anywhere. Our God is mighty to heal, hold on tightly to Him. I love you, and will not stop praying.

Jen said...

You're an amazing woman. I know I am only a blog buddy but I am praying for you every minute and I know that you are super strong to be able to go through something like this!

God loves you and so do we... we will pray for a speedy and safe recovery!!!

Bernie said...

Oh Lisa I am so sorry to hear you have that kind of cancer but I am praying that it is confined to the breast. They absolutely can heal this especially if they act quickly. Lisa your body is being attacked and your womanhood threatened but your spirit is strong and cancer can't touch your spirit. Am praying very hard for you sweetie, stay strong and know you are in the hands of the greatest healer ever.....God is right there with you, and he has a plan for you, I trust him with you my lovely friend, all will be well.
Always in my heart and prayers Lisa, I am praying while claiming a healing for you......:-) Hugs

ashley said...

Oh Lisa. It just seems unreal. I'm praying for the surgery to happen ASAP and for 100% of the cancer to be removed.

....ashley O

Cindy Bultema said...

Praying for you and your family, dear Lisa!! Our God is a God of miracles ~ may you see Him move mightily on your behalf. And may your mind be completely 'wallpapered' with Truth!

Hebrews 13:5 AMP
"God Himself has said, I will not in any way fail you nor give you up nor leave you without support. I will not, I will not, I will not in any degree leave you helpless, nor forsake nor let you down, relax My hold on you ~ Assuredly not!

So we take comfort and are encouraged and confidently and boldly say, The Lord is my Helper, I will not be seized with alarm ~ I will not fear or dread or be terrified."

Somethings Gotta Give said...

"Don't panic. I'm with you. There's no need to fear for I'm your God. I'll give you strength. I'll help you. I'll hold you steady, keep a firm grip on you." (Is 41:10 Message)

Lisa, those words jumped out of my heart as I read your post. You are so strong, and if anyone can overcome this, it is you!!! I know we are only blog-friends; however, I have been touched by your sweet spirit and your care for all those you come in contact with each day.

Praying for you!!! Victory is on your side!!!

sonja said...

Already God's hand is at work in this process. I am praying for the specific needs, the best and fastest appointment, clarity of understanding and clear guidance as you hear what other doctors say, and most of all... the complete healing of every part of your body.
So happy about the doctors you already have Lisa. That means so much right now.
This is a call to prayer for the rest of us as we gather around and walk beside you through this. It's our privilege.

Special hugs!

Sonja

P.S... My scripture for you tonight would have been the exact quote from Hebrews that Cindy gave you, in the Amplified. So... read it one more time, from me.

mrs. smith said...

thanks for the update, lisa. we're praying for you and missing you like crazy.
we want to help in anyway we can.

nancygrayce said...

Although I have only been reading your blog a short time, I want you to know that I am praying for you. At church tonight, we were study 1 Samuel 17.....God was so much bigger than Goliath and He is so much bigger than any disease! Cling to Him!

Andrea said...

Praying for GODS healing, restoration, strength, comfort, and peace for you. Praying GODS divine guidance for the dr.s, nurses, and staff who will be a part of your care.
Storming the heavens on your behalf,
andrea

Nana Jul said...

Praying for you Lisa! Praying the Lord opens a way for the surgery, so the healing can begin! Ps 139

Love,
Julie

Sandy at God Speaks Today said...

I've been praying for you all day long. All. Day. Long.

I'm holding you up to the Father. You are not alone.

Love,
Sandy

Jen said...

praying, praying, and praying some more....

Tiffani said...

I prayed for you while I was at my yearly exam today!!! Being in that office and having things checked just brought you to mind. I love how the Lord does that!!

PRAYING SO HARD FOR YOU!!

Joyful said...

Oh Lisa...my heart is so saddened by this news, yet I see God's Hand directing and providing.

Continuing to pray.
Love & hugs,
Joy

Gretchen said...

Praying for you, friend. So glad that these docs are fellow foot soldiers in the fight. One breath at a time, Lisa. xxxooogretchen

Kathy S. said...

I pray Lisa, that the Lord will make His presence known to you in profound ways as you trust Him through this. My other friend Lisa Smith is a cancer survivor with an awesome testimony of God's provision in miraculous ways!

I will be praying for you.
Love
Kathy

Susan Hilton said...

Praying and Praying and Praying for you, your family and your doctors. God is great.

His Girl said...

Praying like crazy, amiga. Know that you are loved and that you are not even remotely alone.

ps: man I hate cancer. HATE IT!

His Girl said...

also, praising God that you caught something that is 'fast growing' at this stage.

glad they're moving fast.

praying God is obvious to you and all around you.

xo

Sheryl said...

i am praying and i love you!

Sarah Soon-to-be Langhoff said...

My sweet, patient, and tech-savvy fiancé made a button for Lisa.

Visit http://colossians314.blogspot.com to get the code for the "Praying for Lisa Smith" button and find out about the 24 hours a day, 7 days a week prayer wall.

Edie said...

Oh Lisa, I have been so busy this is the first chance I've had to come by. I am praying with you now.

Much love!

Denise @ A Sacred Longing said...

Praying for you!

Denise

Debra said...

Oh my sweetie, just popped over here from Sonja's blog "Bits and Pieces". So sorry about your health problems. I am a survivor of Hodgkins disease, so I understand. I will be praying and checking back in with you. Blessings

angie128 said...

Praying.

Praying.

Praying.

Jennifer said...

I wasted no time in getting to the computer this morning, to read the latest, to read in awe of your awesome spirit and to see God's amazing GRACE. I'm praying for PEACE for you today. Peace as you gather all this in. Leave this is HIS hands and take in HIS peace.

Praying for you, now.

Ike said...

Just came across your post.
My mother had Sarcoma of the breast in 1994 and just celebrated her 70th birthday! Tumor was 4-5 cm and a Malignant Fibrous Histiocytoma.
She went to MD Anderson and was disappointed because the doctors there would not commit to a specific therapy.
Instead she stayed in san antonio, had surgery, reconstruction, and chemo and has been fine ever since.
Unfortunately her oncologist is no longer in San Antonio, (Dr. Weiss). If you can find him he is great and has a lot of sarcoma experience.
Also, I think her plastic surgeon is now in college station - Dr. Wittpen.
Good luck, I hope you do as well as my mother did!

Leeann said...

Lisa,

My tears flow on your behalf, as well as for your husband and children.

I will pray that you are able to get in at MD Anderson, that you are able to have the surgery successfully and that the cancer will be cut out and forever banished from your body.

Love and prayers.
Leeann Niccolini

Andrea said...

Goodness, what a day! Praise God for Dr's that love you and care for you as a person, not just a patient or number. Praying with you! You are sure covered, rest in His hands!

Renee said...

Still fiercely praying!

Debbie said...

Oh Lisa, I hadn't been back to your blog in a few days so I'm just catching up. I'm sorry to hear the news but I will continue to pray for wisdom for the doctors. I will also pray for peace for you as you depend fully on Him. He is your Rock and He will strengthen you and uphold you, no matter what.

Love,
Debbie

B His Girl said...

I am catching up on everything going on. My heart hurts for you. So glad you are getting the opinion of several doctors and the sarcoma is small. I pray for wisdom for the doctors as they decide exactly what you need for treatment. Lord, please spread healing throughout her body.

Kimberly said...

Please know that even though we do not know each other that I am lifting you and your beautiful family up in prayer!