home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Growing Weary

The middle.

It's the point in a journey, a situation, a dream, in life that tiredness begins to set in, the euphoric feeling of the newness of the beginning has worn off but the adrenaline of the end has yet to take effect. It's the middle.

About a month ago, someone told me that character is born in the middle. I think character is not only born in the middle, it's also proven there.

Lots of people, me included, can make promises, start strong and have great intentions. It's in the middle when nothing is happening, at least nothing we can see, that determination, grit and perseverance begin to show. That is if one possesses them.

This summer the Lord began giving me a picture that I dreamt of all night and saw all day in my mind's eye. In this vision, I am playing poker. I have lots of chips. The hand has yet to be dealt but I am "all in" pushing all my chips to the middle of the table.

Now I don't know much about poker but I do know a few things about my God. With him, I don't have to see the cards I'm dealt because his plans for me are good. They are for hope and a future. (Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.)

I know that there are pleasures forevermore if I remain in his presence. (Psalm 16:11 You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.)

I know that just because I belong to him, my life will be filled with goodness and mercy. (Psalm 23:6 Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.)

Essentially, I know the outcome of this poker game. (Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.)

So I can play the whole thing, beginning, middle and end with all my might. Isn't that great?
Today if you're stuck in the middle, tired of waiting and growing weary of giving it your all, consider these key truths before giving up and please share any others that have helped you along the way.

Hebrews 12:3
Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.



3 comments:

Lindsey @ A New Life said...

Oh Lisa. I so needed this today.

Love you.

Melanie said...

Well acquainted with weariness. Thank you for your continued intercession for Andrew and us. He starts treatment in a day or so.
Love,
Melanie@Bella~Mella

Lora said...

Oh, I am so thankful for Romans 8:28. It was the first verse I remember committing to memory. I'm so glad that God is with us in "the middle."