home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

The Old Ball and Chain

Awhile back I was asked to make a list of messages our children are getting that are contrary to the absolute Truth we believe as Christians. The messages came slowly.

Wall-e tells my children that the future of our earth was disastrous, a wasteland that they would need to save by being green. Hannah Montana shows my children how they could live a double life...the best of two worlds by keeping secrets from everyone they know. Taylor Swift tells my children that being on the sidelines is where romance blooms and Harry Potter teaches them to use the power that they possess inside themselves.

Whew! Are future leaders of our country under attack or what? This just scratches the surface!

The gigantic revelation I had during this week long experiment was when my cell phone broke. I was in complete turmoil for two days. On one hand, I loved the silence of no ringing calls, no buzzing emails and no dinging text messages. On the other hand, I was in a constant state of panic. We don't have a land line and my cell phone is my only contact with the outside world. Checking email on my computer when I was at the house was simply not fast enough. I felt like I was missing tons of stuff. You know, important information.

My mom might need to tell me something, a client may need my help, a practice might be cancelled, Andrew might get a huge bonus...I felt like I was missing something the entire time my phone wasn't in my hand!

This is how we are raising our children. We are training them to be connected 24/7.

God used these two days to create a discipline in me. He gave me a desire to be intentional about not answering my phone. I've placed parameters on checking my emails and texts. I need boundaries on technology in my life or I'm "chatting" with people absent more than I'm chatting with little people who are here.

After all, how can I live if I'm only existing online? My time can certainly go much too quickly when I'm engaged with a computer screen instead of real life. I don't like leaving things in real life undone so that things online can be complete.

I want to teach my children to be present. I want them to feel important, much more important than my iPhone and the world wide web.

John 10:10 is one of my favorite verses. I was offline for awhile due to renovating our home. During which I couldn't even locate my computer or my shoes or my children's backpacks for over a week. Then I just started enjoying the freedom of not having the distraction of my cute little laptop time thief. During this time I have remembered what "having life" is really like. It's not beheld on a screen.

It's not that I haven't been writing, it's that I've been experiencing technological freedom. I'm back. Just with boundaries.

"A thief comes only to rob, kill, and destroy. I came so that everyone would have life, and have it in its fullest." John 10:10

1 comment:

Brian, Steph, Jada and Kiva Lee said...

Yes, Yes and Amen to all of this! I have felt the very same things over time and I am glad you wrote it much more beautifully than I think! Thank you for writing and I would love a list of lies and truths that you already see getting to our little ones. Oh that our spiritual eyes would be opened wide to understand!