home about speaking she cares resources contact

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Eating Away

Questions. What ifs? Why nots? How comes? How will it all work outs? Whens? Why did yous? The questions of life assault my soul. They eat away at my very being threatening to destroy all I hold dear. Bite by bite they sink their teeth into the tenderness of my heart.

I search for answers in vain. No answers come late at night, early in the morning or while I motion through my day. One question only leads to another. My mind is a playground for partially expressed thoughts, incomplete ideas and worrisome questions. Particularly in times of uncertainty. What I do not want is for times of uncertainty to become a breeding ground for times vacant of peace.

I wonder is it God speaking, the enemy at work or the tricks of a restless mind? Restlessness is an old enemy. It took me years to recognize that old restless feeling in my heart as an invitation to sit in the presence of One whose very essence is peace. He says, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you."

As I sit on a quiet Sunday morning I begin to hear once again. As sunlight trickles through the windowpanes, light ebbs into my dust-covered soul. Dew drips from the roof corner to nature’s steady beat restoring measure and order to my cluttered heart. The morning pours forth a song, a beautiful praise to its Creator. A verse I needed to hear. A melody my heart joins making a chorus of words once more.

The questions subside as cares fade away like the morning dew. Grace and peace begin to dance in my soul. Their performance promises a duet just as promising as the coming day.
As life’s questions, particularly in times of uncertainty, threaten to steal moments, destroy opportunities and invade decisions, I know the truth…What I have cannot be destroyed. “Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will be.” Matthew 6:21

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” John 14:27


2 comments:

Laura said...

I know a little about these questions that nibble away my peace. Sometimes it's not so easy to turn my thoughts His way. The enemy confuses and distracts. I'm glad you found your peace, Lisa!

B His Girl said...

The thief comes to kill, steal, and destroy. Claim your peace. Isaiah 26:3 The playground of the mind (love that)...can add a lot of clutter to what is really going on. I know that too well. B