home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Being Present

Presence. One word. This one word has been the topic of almost all of my conversations with God lately.

A few months ago, I felt his nudge to be present every moment of every day. You see I’m human. I catch myself mumbling a response to my sweet children when I’m busy in the kitchen and they’ve each already asked me a hundred questions. (That makes 400 questions in case you’re wondering.) Mumbling isn’t my intention at all. My heart longs to cup their precious chins in the palms of my hands and speak tenderly straight to their hearts. My flesh is weak and terribly tired by 5:00 most days.

As soon as God announced the challenge, I began to look for ways to say ‘yes.’ I turned off the computer, put down the phone and recharged before the school day ended. Being present is what I want to teach them. I want them to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are the most important treasures God has given me.

This morning God whispered, “Presence.” I feel it was an invitation to a deeper awareness of his presence because he is ever-present, always with me, always moving and never leaving. I want to live my life even more conscious of his presence not just “in my life,” but in my all-day-everyday. Without his presence I have no life.

Especially with the holidays approaching, his presence is something I want, I need, I desire. Christmastime is certainly not the time to take his presence for granted in an effort to mark chores off a list. One of the reasons I love Christmas because it’s when Jesus is most commonly referred to Immanuel, or God with us, a constant reminder of his sweet presence permeating our stinky world and individual lives.

And then he reminded me that his ever-present presence was his present to me on my birthday.

Starting from scratch, he made the entire human race and made the earth hospitable, with plenty of time and space for living so we could seek after God, and not just grope around in the dark but actually find him. He doesn't play hide-and-seek with us. He's not remote; he's near. We live and move in him, can't get away from him! Acts 17:27-29




7 comments:

Still Learning said...

A great reminder to stay in his presence at all times.

Jenn

Julie Gillies said...

Hi Lisa,

What a good post! I think practicing being present is something every modern mom can relate to. We tend to live distracted lives, don't we?

May God fill us with His presence as we practice being present. Especially during the holidays!

P.S. Thank you for your sweet, encouraging comments on my blog! :)

JungWoo Hong said...

Hi,Lisa!
Happy Birthday my precious,
wonderful friend!!
You are really loved and special for me.
Hope you had a great 39th birthday~
I love you.

Hyeong Sook

Kathy S. said...

Lisa, I love the challenge!
Happy Birthday!

Angela said...

You are such a beautiful soul. I loved this post and it is so timely for me...I've been in such a funk as you know and have been doing a lot of thinking about intentional living and being present.

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You may , probably very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a proper companion who uses your funds in a right way - that`s it!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://qirazahawy.jamminweb.com/arozugu.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Andrea said...

You have a blog award at arise 2 write.
andrea