home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Remembering

I haven't felt like turning my computer on much this week. Maybe it's because my twentieth high school reunion was this past weekend. I'm worn out both physically and emotionally.

Remembering was hard.
Remembering was fun.
Remembering was well, to be truthful, a little weird.
But oh so worth it!

I feel drained in a good sort of way. Thinking about so much that happened so long ago just left my brain hurting but more importantly it left my heart full.

It's something I said I'd never do. Go back.

I was the snobby eighties girl who mentally graduated mid junior year and quickly skipped forward to all things college, ready to experience new things and tossed juvenile high school things aside.

But back I went to relive all the turbulence and tolerance that were indicative of my teen years.

Turbulent family life. Moving to a new place. Trying to fit in with a new group instead of the comfort of the crowd I'd known most of my short life.

High school was like wearing a pair of jeans that are a size too small and have had to be zipped up using a coat hanger. I never relaxed. I never quite fit. I kinda held my breath for a few years.
Tolerance of tiny compromises so I could fit into a world where I never felt quite at home.

All this squeezing gave me a few really, really close friends that pulled me along for a really great ride, now that I'm able to objectively examine it. Seeing some of these sweet girls all grown up was wonderful and warming and just plain fun. Squealing with delight to see the people who really impacted me with their kindness and selflessness at a time I desperately needed it and telling them that was really rewarding.

Strangely enough most people remember things somewhat differently than the way they actually were. At least it seemed that way to me. In a good way.

Reuniting was amazing, freeing and exciting. I won't lose touch with some of these people again and that makes me smile.

Remembering was difficult but not painful. All those memories just didn't come back like I always thought they would.

My only regret is that I didn't notice until about 11:30 that there was no photographer there to take pictures. I got two that I'll post later. I've got many more good memories stored in my heart that will make remembering much easier.




2 comments:

Lindsey @ A New Life said...

So neat to have those memories!

High school was horrible for me; and I did not go to my reunion. But it still makes me smile to read stories of others re-connecting with lost friends!

Miss you!

LisaShaw said...

Thanks for sharing your memories with us and your time with your school friends.

Love ya.