home about speaking she cares resources contact

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Catering to the Masses



Yesterday was one of those days. There haven't been many days of this proportion.

Andrew was out of town. The house was a wreck. I had pre-decided that his absence would provide the perfect opportunity to get down and dirty scrubbing this old house. That was a colossal mistake. I should have known better than to think I'd have time to do anything on my own list.

Palmer was needy. So.very.needy. Andrew needed my help from afar. I spent a great portion of my day sitting, or rather standing, and staring at my computer screen attached to my cell phone.

As I was standing and staring.

Dump trucks filled with tiny toys and boy treasure lined my hallway. Shoeboxes filled with precious belongings collected from others' stashes stacked in his private corner. Every single chair in my house stood in a straight line and formed a huge bed for his stuffed animals' slumber party. He even dressed them all (and himself) for the occasion. Emptying his pajama drawer for the party a la bears. Cute.

Palmer was entertaining himself. Just a normal day's work for the little guy.

Until.

Palmer got bored.

Half a bottle of paprika on my playroom carpet. Gross. Stinky. Orange. Nasty.

Already feeling drained when the older children got home from school. I began to try to pick up some of said stuff but homework, dinner and bedtime routines called.

Some nights it just doesn't all get done. I sat down to spend some time in the Word. And he spoke.

"But Jesus said, "That isn't necessary--you feed them." (and) They all ate as much as they wanted...and the disciples picked up...leftovers. Matthew 14:16 & 20

Reading the feeding of the 5,000 always teaches me something. Always. Every.single.time.

Last night as I read I was aware that the disciples were tired. Even Jesus, I think, was a little tired here. After hearing of John's beheading he had withdrawn to a remote place. The disciples must have longed for some space to grieve. Quietly. Alone.

I bet the disciples were hurting and questioning. I'm almost sure they wanted Jesus to themselves. They needed his ministry. His perspective. His touch. Personally.

I wonder if they were a little miffed at Jesus' compassion. Even in his grief crowds followed him. They stormed his remote place begging him to heal their sick.

He had compassion on them.

Then. Finally. Dinnertime. The disciples suggested sending them away to eat. Jesus could rest. They could rest. The perfect escape from the crowd's insatiable requests.

Imagine their shock when Jesus suggests the disciples provide nourishment for the hungry crowd.

There wasn't enough.
They were tired.

After their protests, Jesus provides, miraculously, plenty from little for the crowd. There was even some left. Lots left.

This wasn't just a plain old miracle, it was a gigantic miracle that went the extra mile. It was a miracle birthed at a time when Jesus deserved a little rest. Some time to settle his emotions. Some chill time.

This was a miracle of giving that Jesus, already knowing he would do it, invited the disciples to perform.

This is an example. An invitation to me. In my house of energy. At my weakest point. Tired and all.

I want to learn the lesson. Pull from the Strength I possess. Give what lies dormant inside of me to the needy ones who follow me...even when I'm tired.

Because I have Jesus.
I have his promise.

"I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, if anyone steadfastly believes in Me, he will himself be able to do the things that I do; and he will do even greater things than these, because I go to the Father." John 14:12

Anyone know how to remove paprika stains?



6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Great post! I sometimes wonder myself how the disciples felt about constantly being surrounded by people.

You're right. We need to draw from the only Strength we have. Thank you for reminding me of this.

Kelly Combs said...

I just loved this post, because as a mom, I've had that day...except it was baby powder, not paprika. Smells better and vacuums up okay. :-)

But I love how you used scripture to make your point, and I pray God gives us both the energy when we are tired.

Great post!

Edie said...

When my daughter was little she woke up before me one morning and poured an entire bag of flour all over the kitchen floor. She woke me up and was white from head to toe. It was on Mother's Day too. Took me all day to get it cleaned up. :) That was before I knew Christ. I'm so glad I know to rely on Him now.

Here's a link with some suggestions for getting the paprika out.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070715084636AAzeTX9

Elizabeth said...

Love it!

Miss you and your messy boy dearly!

Beth@Not a Bow in Sight said...

Yes, I'm glad that God gives me the strength to get past all the daily messes! Not sure about the paprika ;)

LisaShaw said...

I remember those "days" when I had little ones :) Don't know how to remove paprika stain. How about calling Home Depot or Lowes. They helped me once to remove something in our carpet years ago.

Love ya. Love your family photos!!!