home about speaking she cares resources contact

Friday, September 18, 2009

Staying the Course

There hasn't been much buzz here about my running lately. Lest you think I'm not, I'll give you the latest.

I've been running steadily since May. I'm confident that I'll be able to complete my first half marathon and my first marathon by November 2010.

There have been so many blessings from this time with the Lord. Because that's just what it has been. Time with the Lord because when I run the world and all its noise fades away and we're alone. Together.

When I first started running I had several goals in mind. I wanted to very shallowly look better, lose weight and get in better shape. God had really convicted me that I pray to live a long life but did not have a healthy lifestyle.

The main goal however, was to do something big before my fortieth birthday. To prove to myself that there will still be enough time to make a mark on humanity after forty. I heard God whisper to my heart, "If you do this, I will change you."

The change has only just begun. I couldn't be more thrilled. I've run up to eight miles and it's still hard. Every day it's hard. Every day it's oh so very worth it!

I've lost the weight I set out to lose. I've gained enough confidence to know I'll finish that marathon before I turn forty. I've received many blessings from accepting this invitation from the Lord. The greatest one has been hearing him speak.

When I'm running, I hear him. And, nothing can top that.

Hearing his voice keeps me going. Harder. Faster. Farther.

"let us run with patient endurance and steady and active persistence the appointed course of the race that is set before us" Hebrews 12:1



3 comments:

Still Learning said...

Ah, you got me where it hurts today! I too had set out this year to get back into the good shape and health I used to be in before I turn 40 this December. I um, have failed at it because I haven't tried hard. God spoke to me last week too, that I needed to bring Him into my health and not do it myself. Girl, I'm so proud of you!! Isn't it great too that you have all that focused, personal and alone time to just talk to him? Love it love it. Have your turned 40 yet? HB if you have, yay!!

This post is such a confirmation of things for me.... ouch.

Jenn

B His Girl said...

Great job Lisa. We want to see the picture of you crossing the finish line on your races. I know you will do it. How wonderful to hear God speak as you run! He is rewarding your steps. B

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Great job...I am impressed...