home about speaking she cares resources contact

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Belief Builders

From small beginnings come great things.

It's written on some notecards I like to use.

It strikes a chord in my soul.
Small beginnings.
Great things.

Although at times I find it hard to believe my life will be full of great things, my life has definitely been full of small beginnings. Small gives me confident belief that great is coming.

See how that works?

When we experience God doing something small for us, we begin to see how great is truly possible in our own lives. There was a time in the not so distant past that I really didn't even believe my life was worthy of small. Today I see small as a great beginning.

Small is definitely the beginning of greatness.

I'm learning that unbelief can be my dream's biggest enemy. Whether it's the unbelief I feel that chokes the life out of my own small beginnings or the unbelief of those around me who voice their doubts of the greatness to come, unbelief leads to discouragement. Discouragement leads to disappointment. Undisciplined disappointment can cause stumbling or even stopping.

Unbelief whispers that I should be satisfied with the small.

I'm grateful, yes but satisfied, no.

Unbelief offers small beginnings as a finished product. Unbelief lies to the soul, "Small is as great as it gets."

Belief motivates the heart, "Better things are yet to come. Never settle for the small." Belief uses small as a stepping stone to the great.

Small beginnings are foundational stones put in place to build our belief.

God is rejoicing in each small beginning. Let us rejoice with Him!

"Do not despise small beginnings, for the Lord rejoices to see the work begin." Zechariah 4:10


3 comments:

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

A great word.....

Lora said...

Unbelief is one of our greatest enemies. Great post!

Still Learning said...

So true, so true. Great stuff. If we could all just get that in us and teach it to our children.... wow.