home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My Man's Best Friend


When I married your Dad, I became your Mom.

It was all new to me.

I resented you at first. I'm sorry to say it but I did.

I needed all of your Dad's time. I wanted to just jump in the car and speed away on a weekend trip with a moment's notice without worrying about you. I wanted to sleep through the night and know my house would be clean when I walked through the door at night. I resented vacuuming every day, sweeping every day, mopping every day, not knowing what you did while I was gone. Working. Every.single.day.for those first years. 

But as I spent time with you, I grew to love you.

You became part of my heart just like you were part of your Dad's. I grew fond of all that soft, shaggy hair.

I liked having you around when Daddy was out of town. I even let you sleep in our room, remember? (Shhh don't tell Daddy because he still can't understand why you grew to like me better.)

I liked how you started to protect me and protect your brothers and sisters as they were born. You even gave up your name for our firstborn son and took on Wolf as your own without even a small complaint.

I liked how you enjoyed our leftovers and what we secretly fed you under the table. Giving you a bone was sheer joy. You were always so eager to grab it!

I liked how you were such a good companion for Foxy and taught her only to bark in case of an emergency. 

Thank you for being such a good friend, Wolf. We'll see you in heaven!
Wolf December 24, 1993-August 11, 2009


5 comments:

Lisa said...

Awwww. I'm so sorry for your loss. Dog's so easily become a member of the family and hold a special place in our heart.
Blessings ~ Lisa

Denise @ A Sacred Longing said...

It's a hard task - saying goodbye to a sweet furry friend. I have walked that path before. They really do become an extension of us.

Shalom,
Denise

B His Girl said...

Lisa, What sweet words about your dog. I believe you will see him again. Our pets truly become a part of the family. I know he will be missed. B

Christiana said...

I am so sorry.

I can't even imagine.

Praying for some peace and comfort for you and your kids.

And your man - who may need it most.

Edie said...

Awww, I'm so sorry you lost your dog. What a sweet tribute. My Tobi is getting up in age and I dread the day I will lose her.