home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Here and There

Do you ever wish you were there but relish the fact that you're here all at the same time?

I do. I have spent a great deal of my life wishing I was somewhere else. You know, just a little further down the path of life. Doing that instead of this and being her instead of me.

Growing up, I spent most of my time trying to figure out how to wrangle an invitation to just the right party and how to befriend just the right person that would solidify me as part of just the right crowd. I weighed social activities on the scale of popularity.

When I was not where I perceived everyone else to be, I suffered. I felt rejected, unloved and unworthy. Thankfully that is not the case for me anymore. By God's grace I have learned the best place to be is where He is calling me. Regardless of who else is there, I will follow Him.

No matter where He leads me, even if it seems like a dim second choice to what those around me experience, I have learned that treasures are always found in His presence. Where He leads me will make my soul rich. No matter what.

This weekend many of my bloggy sisters had the opportunity to attend She Speaks, a conference Proverbs 31 puts on for Christian writers, speakers and bloggers. I remembered it was this weekend, prayed for my friends and rejoiced at where I was.

When it became obvious that I would not attend She Speaks this year, I was sad. I wanted to go. I listened to friends and family ask me repeatedly if I'd ever considered going. I soaked up their encouraging remarks to try to get there. I even begged God. But eventually I had to accept the fact that this was not going to be the year. I was sad but not resentful. I would've really loved, loved to meet some of my favorite people in this world in the flesh. But it was not meant to be.

(However, I did talk to Lindsey on the phone and make plans to meet her in September. Now that was fun!)

As I sat through two different meetings in two different towns this past week, that I never would have attended had I traveled to SheSpeaks, I felt God nudge me. I heard His whisper. I am accepting His invitation. I am rising to His challenge. 

I keep hearing Chris Tomlin, "I will rise when He calls my name..." 

He is calling my name and I am so glad I was here to hear Him!

Are you finding treasure in the rich whisper of His voice where you are today?

Isaiah 45:3
And I will give you treasures hidden in the darkness—secret riches. I will do this so you may know that I am the Lord,the God of Israel, the one who calls you by name.

1 comment:

Lindsey @ A New Life said...

You don't know how much you are speaking truth to me right now right when I need it :-)

Was wonderful talking to you as well, and can't wait until Sept!

Have a blessed week,
Lindsey