home about speaking she cares resources contact

Friday, August 07, 2009

Blissful Summers and Abrupt Halts

This week has been a good one. I haven't had to go the office much and the children are light on activities. We've spent most afternoons at the neighborhood pool.

I love our neighborhood pool. It's big but not too big and all four children can be entertained for a  couple of hours. It's small enough that I can watch all four children at the same time without freaking out too much.

Sadly, I haven't been there much this summer. It's been a hectic summer. We've been scattered about longing for lazy afternoons. Babysitters have had the honor of splashing with my children. I've been a little heartbroken and I've challenged myself to look on brighter horizons than the neighborhood pool's.  

Horizons of several lakes and beaches we've been able to visit this summer, just the six of us. 

But this week. This week has been dreamy as I've had time to splash around and come home to scrub my home as my baby snoozed. Had time to set up an awesome lemonade stand and monitor its very successful activity, $33.04! Had time to fix nutritious dinners and save 37% of my grocery bill with coupons. (I'm aiming for 50%.)

Are you hearing classical music as you see me frolicking at the neighborhood pool yet? Well, don't get too excited.

Today upon entering said pool, the lifeguard met me with a petition. The city is closing our pool for the summer. Tomorrow! 

That's it.

No advance notice.

While we are left to swelter in the 100 degree plus Texas humidity as we drive across town where we are forced to swim in a pool of lesser choice. Stink!

As the moms brainstormed in the shallow end today, we came up with all kinds of ideas. The raise of minimum wage, the new conference center, the new school, the torn-up roads and other various and miscellaneous ways my tax dollars are being used.

I am stopping now because this is not a post to complain. Although if you live here in College Station and you'd like to call the city and ask them to keep Thomas Pool and Adamson's Lagoon open until school starts, feel free.

This is a post to say that I'm thankful for this week. I'm thankful that today's only Friday. I'm thankful I get to swim again today.

The end.

Psalm 118:24
This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.



3 comments:

Melanie said...

And I'm thankful to have met you in person!
Melanie@Bella~Mella

Laura said...

It is so nice to have time to just be and enjoy those long summer days. I'm sorry the pool is closing early! Maybe there's another nearby that can serve?

I'm trying to get the most out of these last few days of summer too. Life goes by too fast...

Melanie said...

Thanks for checking out my article on P31!
Melanie@Bella~Mella