home about speaking she cares resources contact

Saturday, August 01, 2009

August One


I have to be honest. August the first doesn't excite me.

I hate August.

August means back to school. The lists and endless things to do to prepare wear me out. The torture of easing myself into a frantic, chaotic schedule overwhelms me. The homework and projects looming over my head make it pound. Pounding. My head and my heart.

So...

I decided to start a tradition that would make me smile when August one rolled around.  

In just a few hours the girls and I will get up early, drive a couple of hours and meet my mom, sister-in-law and niece in Hillsboro at the outlets to school shop.  Fun!

This will hopefully be a tradition that lasts. We have great vision. We can travel lots of places to shop. Houston, Dallas, San Marcos, Austin are all close to us. Many more are a short jet ride away as the girls grow older. 

Spending and acquiring are not the purposes. Being together and setting time aside for one another are.

I'm pretty pumped that we get to join the ranks of families that have traditions for times other than holidays...

I think we'll call this one August One.

4 comments:

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

I want to join in on your tradition! Whatcha buying me, Mom??

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

What adorable kids...your header is awesome.

so glad that I stopped by....My blog reading has been so little the last few weeks...but have a few free days to catch up.

Melanie said...

We have a tradition every August 1st, too. We celebrate our wedding anniversary!
Have a fun trip!
Melanie@Bella~Mella

Rose Ann Coffey said...

August is so depressing. I always buy me flowers and good books and lots of sandwich stuff and settle in for the hot days and end of summer. I am glad you thought of this tradition. You know how I love to shop. See you in a couple of hours.